Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellas I need some advice. I'm thinking about getting another pistol. And not a *GASP* Kimber. (have two already a Custom Defender II and a TLE/RL both .45 cal) but i need something that will be easyily concealable for CCW. think 9mm but maybe a 40 cal. orignailly thought about a tarus as my boss has one and really likes it but i'm not to fond of tarus pistols, and I can't stand glocks. I'm leaning heavily twards a XD but I really don't know much about XD. Hehe ask me about kimber related stuff I might be able to answer you. So what are average prices for XD's and what would be a good carry model?? Thanks in Advance

Dustbuster

·
Registered
833 Posts
Man never seen those questions--lol theres only like 40 threads on each of them. But like most things price varys depending on location and options, the going rate is somehwere between $400-$500. Most people will tell you for Carry the Sub Compact 3" is best, but many people carry the 4" Service as well. The hardest part for most people with the service is the size of the grip, the skinnyer you are the harder it is to conceal.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mtdustbuster said:
Well fellas I need some advice. I'm thinking about getting another pistol. And not a *GASP* Kimber. (have two already a Custom Defender II and a TLE/RL both .45 cal) but i need something that will be easyily concealable for CCW. think 9mm but maybe a 40 cal. orignailly thought about a tarus as my boss has one and really likes it but i'm not to fond of tarus pistols, and I can't stand glocks. I'm leaning heavily twards a XD but I really don't know much about XD. Hehe ask me about kimber related stuff I might be able to answer you. So what are average prices for XD's and what would be a good carry model?? Thanks in Advance

If you can, rent one and get in some trigger time yourself; that'll tell you more than anything we can say here. (I've been looking for a new carry piece myself and had nearly decided on the Kahr PM9 until I tried it.... You can see the results in the 'Subcompact shoot out' thread in the Range Reports area. (Yeah, I've been pointing people to that a lot; sue me. I think it's a decent comparison and useful to people trying to make that decision.))

An XD should cost you about $400-450, depending on what finish you get and where you buy it. The prices in some poor benighted areas seem to run up to around $500, though. For carry I'd look at the Subcompact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me thats 500 less then the last Kimber I bought (TLE/RL) HOw well do they seem to hold up?? I've been searching the forums but haven't seen to many issues that people are having with them. I know that Kimber has had some issues with the series II safety and external extractor, does XD's have any issues similar to this??

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the 4" service model but I don't carry so. I guess if I was going for a gun to carry, I would pick up the 3" sc since it would be easier to carry.

I've read that there has been a few problems with the .40's but nothin serious. There's enough people here that will be able to answer your question a little better than me since I'm a new owner of an XD-9 so I haven't had a lot of time with it.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I second the recommendation to rent one. I have both .40 Service and 9mm Subcompact. Note that the subcompact is not a smaller design, just chopped -- but therefore a little better for CCW.

Both are good shooters and fairly rugged. There have been some complaints about durability of the finish -- holster wear can show up pretty quickly. Some have had issues with Failure-to-Feed, but these are usually resolved with break-in time, polishing feed ramp or changing ammo.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll end up with the 4" barrel. as far as concealing it it shouldn't be a problem I can conceal a 1911 .45 its just a little awkward is all. hehe Not that I'm fat hehe (although I keep this job long enough i will be but I'm a big guy) the main reason i'm looking out side of kimber for the first time is I really don't feel like spending a little over a 1000 for a pro or ultra carry from Kimber, sure nice guns but then I would be to worried about them. With something like the XD I don't think I will have to worry about it getting banged and bumped or dropped and stuff BTW where are XD's made??????

·
Registered
149 Posts
the most common problems with xd's are the recoil rod breaking (I think i have seen one pic),the slide locking back early (in the forties due to the bullets catching the slide lock), and failure to feed issues from a rough feed ramp (though my new gun, had a very smooth one).

Basically, either you can fix it easily if their is a problem or springfield will do it for you. The problems i have seen have mostly been resovled....eventually.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The xd service model is a borderline compact as is,and is an excellent choice.I would have to suggest that you at least consider the .357 sig caliber.This round can deliver nearly 600 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy from the service model and is proving to be devastatingly effective.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would lean toward a 4" 1911 before I'd consider an XD for CCW. The XDs are just too thick for comfort, at least when I carry them IWB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts