Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences / benefits between the various XD Subcompact models?
*Black
*Bitone Stainless
*OD Green

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
If your in the woods the od green will be harder to spot.

I chose the black one because I listen to nine inch nails.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Pretty much what you listed. bitone is stainless slide. black is black frame, od green is odgreed frame.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much what you listed. bitone is stainless slide. black is black frame, od green is odgreed frame.
So there is no real benefit apart from the stainless and its resistance to rust?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I had a black one and have a bi-tone. With the Melonite treatment to the black slide I doubt there is much difference in rust resistance between the stainless and black. The Melonite is inside the very top layer of the steel so even if the black finish wears off it still has it's rust resistance.
It's mostly just what look you like most.

I got the bi-tone because I listen to Slipknot, Breaking Benjamin, and Disturbed all at the same time :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
bi-tone the whole slide is stainless?
black the whole slide is normal steel?
then it's not just cosmetic

i am thinking about which one to pick when i get xdm actually, does bi-tone get "dirty" quicker? is it just plain steel or with melonite coating as well? does it feel smooth like chromed or rough steel?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I used to have a stainless, but now I have the all-black one because I like Johnny Cash, the man in black. I might get an OD green one because I listen to the late Keith Green.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the only difference between the black and OD is purely cosmetic, but the stainless bitone adds the benefit of rust resistance?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You are correct.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I used to have a stainless, but now I have the all-black one because I like Johnny Cash, the man in black. I might get an OD green one because I listen to the late Keith Green.
Perhaps Mr. Green wouldn't be "late" if he got a decent watch like a Seiko :twisted:

Just to muddy the waters ( since some people won't comprehend what they read IF they read the posts at all ) stainless slides are generally less durable than regular steel slides. You need to keep stainless slides lubed more to prevent galling against the steel rails.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Perhaps Mr. Green wouldn't be "late" if he got a decent watch like a Seiko :twisted:.
Kaboom,

Hmmm... You don't happen to sell Seiko watches do you?;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the Black XDSC and couldn't be happier!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts