Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I just spent my first day at the range shooting my first gun, my brand new XD-40 sub compact, and have some questions, since I am just learning everything and want to know as much as I can about what to expect. It's obvious that there is no room for error in this business!

The gun is amazing, very powerful, and since it was my first time, I spent so much energy concentrating on doing all the right things, that I got worn out pretty fast. I'm sure as time goes on I will learn to relax more and breathe.

But I have some questions regarding FTFs and jams, as I am not completely clear on how to deal with them.

If an FTF occurs, I understand I should keep the gun on the target for about 30 seconds, and then if the round hasn't gone off, eject it, correct? So am I to assume that the slide is still closed as the bullet has not gone off? Do I remove the magazine, and then open the slide and let the bullet fall down through to the ground? I was thinking I would just kick it down range, is that a good idea? I can't imagine putting the bullet in my hand to deal with it, and have it go off while I am holding it. Maybe someone can give me some advice on this one...

And then I am unclear of what to expect regarding a jam. If a bullet jams while in the middle of shooting, does the slide not close all the way? Obviously it stops firing, but I need for someone to explain how you know you have a jam, and how to fix it safely. Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great Question!

A FTF. Is when you shoot the gun, but only hear click. Leave the gun facing down range, because sometimes there is a delay before the round goes off. Grip and rack the slide with a crisp motion. The bad round will eject just like a regular fired case, and be thrown to your right. Best to toss it in a metal can or if your range has them, a used brass bucket. I am told that a round that goes off on its own does not have the force to punch through metal dumpsters. So this is the safest option.

A jam can be many different situations depending on just how the round decided to end up. The best fix is the "TAP, RACK, AND SHOOT” This should be seriously practiced if you carry your gun for defense. This "Clearing drill" works like this.

Gun fails
TAP Smack the magazine upward into the gun to insure it is fully in place.

RACK Grip the slide and give it a sharp rack while tipping the gun to its side. This lets gravity assist the trouble round to leave the gun. Usually it will not eject, but rather falls slowly to the ground.

SHOOT Bring the gun to eye level and attempt to fire a round.

REPEAT as necessary.

This is a real drill taught to me by a LEO. and should be practiced in a fast fluid motion until it becomes second nature.

WARNING keep finger off of bang switch while going through drill.
Keep firearm pointed in safe direction during drill.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Actually there are two types of FTF. Fail to fire and fail to feed. With fail to feed the bullet catches on the ramp and does not make it into the chamber. Thus all the polish the feed ramp threads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HVAC-TEK said:
Why do you ask? Did you have an issue with your gun while at the range? :?:
Thanks for the replies so far. No I did not have any problems so far with the gun, I just want to learn all I can so I know what to expect if one of these things does happen. I have total respect of the power of this firearm, and don't want to get hurt, or have anyone else hurt, so education is key..

I think that the more I shoot, the more I will become familiar with it, and the less I will have fear of the unknown..

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's two FTF's (Failure To Fire) and there's (Failure to Feed)

If you pull the trigger and hear "click", but nothing went "bang", that would be a failure to fire. Keep the gun pointed downrange for about 20 or 30 seconds. Drop the magazine out FIRST, and THEN eject the shell. That will prevent you from accidentally putting another round in the chamber after you eject the shell. I usually just kick the shell downrange.

A Failure To Feed is when the shell jams somewhere before fully going into the barrel. You will know you have this when you pull the trigger and there is no "click" AND no "Bang" This is because the slide is not closed all the way. Clearing this type of jam varies. with my XD I can just pull back on the slide and eject the shell and I am good to go again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RockinAR said:
There's two FTF's (Failure To Fire) and there's (Failure to Feed)

If you pull the trigger and hear "click", but nothing went "bang", that would be a failure to fire. Keep the gun pointed downrange for about 20 or 30 seconds. Drop the magazine out FIRST, and THEN eject the shell. That will prevent you from accidentally putting another round in the chamber after you eject the shell. I usually just kick the shell downrange.

A Failure To Feed is when the shell jams somewhere before fully going into the barrel. You will know you have this when you pull the trigger and there is no "click" AND no "Bang" This is because the slide is not closed all the way. Clearing this type of jam varies. with my XD I can just pull back on the slide and eject the shell and I am good to go again.
Thanks a lot. That info helps..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts