Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I am looking at buying my first gun and I wanted to know if anyone had any input. I am looking at the XD-40 Service model, the XD-40 ported version, the Glock 23 or 23C. Any input would be appriciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Fist off as stated previously you have to decide what you are going to use the firearm for (Home defense, Personal carry defense, Target shooting) then you have to decide on a round to use .380 (BUG) 9mm, .40, .45 are very common to carry, I personally love my 9SC, had a Glock did'nt care for it much also have had Ruger's and S&W's semi-autos are usually the way to go as reloading is much quicker and capacity is higher.
My suggestion would be to go to a local gun shop/range and rent a couple of diffrent calibers and makes and make your decision or hook up with some people you know and shoot theres if that is a option.
Remember unless you compete or target shoot what a hand gun is for and what distance it's meant for

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have owned an xd40 for over a year. I love the gun. I wanted a 9mm and decided to try the glock out for variety. I got a G17, and 3 months later sold it for a loss. The glock was reliable and functioned well, but I couldn't shoot it well. In addition, the xd fit my hand waaaaaay better than the glock. Out of those, I would definately get the xd40 service. It is a good all around gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Falman has the best advice: Go to a local range, rent and shoot a Glock 23c and an xd40 and decide which one you like better.

I've got one of each and I love both equally. Just decide which you like better. Or if you're a sucker like me you'll spend all of your money and get both! ;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
For a first gun I would suggest a .22LR, shoot it for awhile and learn how to shoot it well then upgrade to a 9mm. I'm pretty new to larger caliber pistols myself but have shot a 22 Ruger Mark II target model for over 10 years, and I feel my new XD9 service should be enough gun for almost anybody, it seems to have plenty of knockdown power and kicks a LOT more than my 22 does, I was kind of supprised how much it did kick when I first shot it because it seems to kick more than the only other 9mm I have shot did, it was a Beretta 92.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a friend who just picked up the XD-9 sub-compact and I liked it but I do not like the size of the gun. A sub-compact was too small for my hands. I plan on using the gun for carry, protection, and target shooting. I know that a 9mm would be cheaper as far as ammo goes but when it would come to protection I would like to pack the punch that a .40 S&W or a .45 would pack. I am looking for any feedback of pros and cons between the models. I know lookin for this size is not so good for a first gun. When I said first gun I am talking about the first one I am going to purchase. I have grown up shooting and like the feel of .40 and .45 calibers.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Don't get the ported version. I've heard nothing but bad things about the ported barrels in general (Glock or XD). If you think that eventually that you will be looking for a gun to carry, buy one that you can conceal. The 4" xd-40 was my first gun, but I traded it for the subcompact model after I figure out that it would not conceal very well for my body type. I like to carry on my strong side vs. small of back.

You can't go wrong with the xd, but figure out your needs first.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Cuda,

Was your Beretta a fullsize model? That one inch will make a big difference on recoil.

·
Registered
492 Posts
poortrader said:
Cuda,

Was your Beretta a fullsize model? That one inch will make a big difference on recoil.
It wasn't my gun, it's a friends gun and it's the same model that the military uses, is that a fullsize or a med. size like a XD9 service?

·
Registered
268 Posts
This would be an easy decision for me. i love the XD's. Also ammo for the .40 is not that bad and it has plenty of punch. also if you dont like recoil get a 9mm. with the proper bullet they will do the job. better to have a gun that you can hit with than a cannon you miss with. its better to hit a guy with a .380 than miss him with a .500 S+W

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Beretta 92F is the fullsize 5" model same as the military. Whereas the service is the 4" model. It's amazing how one inch can make that much of a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts