Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I just wanted to state - yes, I searched the forum. The info is scattered, and I haven't posted in a while, so I figured I'd just put all my questions here.

I currently own a XD40 Tactical. I love it. Great firearm. However, I would like to get my Concealed Carry Permit, and the Tactical just ain't gonna cut it.

I went to the store today to check out the XD40 SC. He didn't have any, but he did have a XD9 SC.

My train of thought is to get the same caliber weapon as my home defense weapon. I have plenty of ammo, accessories, etc..., so I was kind of dead set on the XD40 SC.

The store owner is one of the nicest I've met - I'm shopping at a store called The Powderhorn, in San Antonio TX. I spoke with the owner today. He agreed with my train of thought, and did not try to push some other weapon on me. He gave me choices, but agreed that I may be better off with a caliber and frame that I'm familiar with for my concealed weapon. He didn't have any in stock, and doesn't know when he will get one in, but he has my name. I'm 100% sure after speaking with him that I will get a call the minute he does get one in.

But today I started thinking - I've never owned a SC. So now I have questions.

1) Will my accuracy be much different between the Tactical and SC?
2) Should I "settle" on a Service instead of the SC I wanted (he has those in stock)?
3) How much harder (I realize it will be... but to what extent?) will it be to conceal a Service instead of the SC?
4) What holster would you recommend? I'm leaning towards IWB holsters, but I've never worn one. I tried a "cheapie" he had today to see how "thick" the XD9 SC he had was. It seemed very bulky and the holster was very difficult to draw from.... but I think I could get used to the thickness of the firearm.

BTW... I have a friend at work that just bought a Kel Tec P3AT. He was pushing that hard on me. I checked it out today - very slim, very light. No safety - at all. It just didn't give me that feeling like my XD gives me. I read an article only minutes afterwards talking about "small, light" guns for concealed carry. I like the authors train of thought. He said a firearm should first make you feel comfortable.... as in "peace of mind". He went on to say that physical comfort should never be confused with mental comfort.... with mental comfort being MUCH more important.

Thanks in advance,
All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have a .40sc and I love it. You probably wont be as accurate with the SC as you would the tac. especially if you are shooting at a distance, but since you want this for a carry weapon then it shouldnt be much of an issue. I noticed when i got my XD9service that my accuracy improved, the longer barrel i think makes a difference. A lot of people seem to dislike the .40sc due to the recoil, it never seemed to bother me. As for a holster i use a Desantis Gun Hide(?). I dont like it, but its good for the winter. I want to get a Crossbreed Supertuck. I dont think you should have to settle for the service if what you wanted is the subcompact. The service wont be much harder to conceal, I've never had a problem, but i prefer the SC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Service 9 and SC9. The SC is much easier to conceal, but either will work. I agree that using the same caliber is smart. I have read tons on the stopping power of one caliber over the other. I chose to use something that I could afford to shoot often and stand on the side that a couple well placed 9's are better than wild shooting with better stopping calibers. I use a crossbreed IWB and it is very comfortable and fits my service and SC. I actually shoot better with the SC. Search for SC9 and you will find lots of info and happy folks. These are just my opinions. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Unless you're a stick, you should have no problems concealing a tactical model...I can make my G20 almost disappear.

Oh, and to answer your question better, there's not a whole lot of difference in accuracy between all three. It all lies within the shooter. The tac is easiest to shoot, that extra long sight radius does your eyes good. I know I'd rather carry the service over a SC.

I've pretty much put off all the "sub compact" style of handguns. Too big to pocket carry, pointless to carry IWB since i can conceal bigger guns just as easily. I either go with a true pocket gun, or go straight to a service size gun.

Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Dont worry about the differences of accuracy. Just practice with both. If you're taking long range shots in self defense you better have a good lawyer. Things like making sure you can access the weapon quickly in a self defense situation are just as important, and often overlooked. Things like, can you draw your concealed weapon one handed? Also, you can conceal a service just fine with loose enough clothing. But it's a bit bulky for iwb.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love my XD-40sc alot better than my old service XD-40. My opinion go w/ the 40sc u need the stopping power when carrying. For a IWB holster I have a Don Hume H715-M NO.XD-C very good thick leather and has a clip to go over your belt for about $30 or less. I can also carry my XDm-40 in the sameholster but the barrel just hangs out of the holster.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The SC is accurate enough out to 7 yards. This is what my wife did the first time she shot my XD9SC (first time she had fired a 9mm)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have had an XDsc in .40 since they came out (no rust!) and I have had my CCW for 4 years, but just started carrying about 3 months ago. My opinion; you need the tac, ser, and sc!! Just kidding (slightly) i have been carrying the sc for about 3 months in a crossbreed supertuck holster everyday, and it carries very easy. After a week, you dont even notice it. Having said that, i went out last night and bought a service model because i feel like i wont have any problems concealing that alot of the time, and that may become my primary carry weapon. My daily attire is jeans and a button down shirt (usually worn untucked). So, here is my initial thought for you, i think if you have the tac you should go for the sc. Buy a holster, supertuck, CTAC, MTAC, or something like that with a "slide" option (this means the holster will work for the same style of gun in different barrel lengths), and try to carry the tactical first. Then if you want the sc go find one. You would be surprised what a good holster will do for you. By the way all 3 holsters i mentioned are very good options.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
1) Will my accuracy be much different between the Tactical and SC?
Maybe a little bit.
2) Should I "settle" on a Service instead of the SC I wanted (he has those in stock)?
Don't settle for anything other than what you want.
I'm very happy with my XD9sc, easier to conceal than a service model.
3) How much harder (I realize it will be... but to what extent?) will it be to conceal a Service instead of the SC?
Some say no difference, but having owned both, I think the service is harder to conceal.
4) What holster would you recommend? I'm leaning towards IWB holsters, but I've never worn one. I tried a "cheapie" he had today to see how "thick" the XD9 SC he had was. It seemed very bulky and the holster was very difficult to draw from.... but I think I could get used to the thickness of the firearm.
A lot of members love their Crossbreed Supertucks

BTW... I have a friend at work that just bought a Kel Tec P3AT.
Kel Tec......don't do it.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a .40 service and it's a bit bulky but i use the galco sky ops holster in the small of my back and it feels ok.

but i do plan on purchasing a .40 sc to carry in the near future

i also own a p3at and it makes a good BACK UP GUN and thats about it. i would not want one as my only carry weapon, the only time i carry only that is on really hot days.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I carry a XD9SC and love it. I agree though that you should carry what "you" are comfortable with. Since you have a .40 stay with that your mags will cross to the new pistol and you only have one ammo type to worry about. Something to also consider is a XD40 service with the compact style grip if you can't findna SC.
BTW my spare mag is the standard high cap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've got the XD40 Service and the XD40 SC. I'd hold out for the SC. I'd say recoil is 5% more than my service model, if that. I notice a little bit more though. The SC is easier to conceal if you use the 10 round mag and not the 12 round extended mag.

I use the Tennesse IWB holster from Leather Holsters for Springfield XD, Glock, 1911, M&P, Beretta, Ruger, Sig, Taurus, Kahr,

I really like it. They sent me both the leather belt loop and the leather paddle with the metal clip. They're interchangeable. The leather is beautiful on it. Really thick and high quality. It's my favorite holster.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hello from another San Antonio shooter.

I would go with the SC. I have an XD9 SC and I love it. It shoots better than I am capable of. It conceals well with a belly band and a Galco (Sky Ops I think).

If you are not in a big hurry to buy, wait until the SAXET Gun Show on November 6&7. AJC Sport Shop from Clute, TX has good prices on XDs. I paid $470 for my XD9 SC with stainless slide. They usually have at least 20 XDs at the show.

As far as taking your CHL, contact www.LoneStarHandgun.com. They are having an "Election Special" for $65 for the course. My wife and I were very impressed with them when we took the class.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think you've got a good plan - hold out for the SC in .40. It can be concealed well with any one of a number of IWB holsters (Crossbreed Supertuck is a good one). Re: accuracy - i doubt you'll notice much difference, the physical accuracy between the service an SC isn't appreciably different. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
cajuntec I hope this isn't too off topic but,
I stopped carrying my XD9sc and carry a Sig P239.
A little thinner single stack and a couple less rounds.
But it is easier to conceal and the spare mags, being thinner, are also easier to conceal.
If you do end up going to the gun show as suggested earlier, at least check one out.
I would think a P239 CPO 40cal would be about the same price as a new XD40sc.
But mine is a DAK P239 SAS so it was a bit more.
Just a thought to expand your options.....
Good luck and let us know what you ended up with..:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer. I'm definitely going to check out the Crossbreed Supertucks holster that has been recommeded so much.

I like the idea of getting the holster and seeing how I like carrying the Tactical in it first, then making a decision of how much smaller (if any at all) that I want to go with.

shark52 - are you talking about November 6&7 2009? I noticed you posted yesterday, and it was already November 7th. Is that date right, or did you mean December? Thanks for posting that. I'll be sure to do some Google searches on both the show and AJC Sport Shop. I may see what the owner at Powderhorn can do for me as far as the price though - I like to buy from people that are local when I can. He worked with me on the price of another pistol that I wanted. Nice guy.

1lowlife - Sig makes an awesome weapon. I used to have a 226. I thought the 239 was a comparable sized weapon to the 226, and was about the same price (quite a few hundred more than the XD), but I may be thinking of another model. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

Thanks again everyone. This is an awesome crowd, and I really enjoy reading all the responses and letting all the information "soak-in".

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The subcompacts are plenty accurate at greater than typical self defense range, even more so if you add night sights. Within 20 feet, I've found the subcompact's grip to be so natural that I have no problem point-shooting (not using the sights) 100% in the black of a full size sillouhette.

I carry a subcompact daily, and have a Kel-Tec P3AT as a back up gun. (In a some "sensitive" situations I feel more comfortable only carrying the Kel-Tec since the subcompact is a little bulky.)

Kahr makes a nice "in-between" carry gun in the same price range as the XD. The CW9 and CW40. Slimmer than the XD, but definitely more to hold onto than a typical pocket gun. I've been tempted to get one, but I doubt it would replace the XD as my primary carry.

Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / CW9 Series

·
Registered
160 Posts
cajuntec I hope this isn't too off topic but,
I stopped carrying my XD9sc and carry a Sig P239.
A little thinner single stack and a couple less rounds.
But it is easier to conceal and the spare mags, being thinner, are also easier to conceal.
If you do end up going to the gun show as suggested earlier, at least check one out.
I would think a P239 CPO 40cal would be about the same price as a new XD40sc.
But mine is a DAK P239 SAS so it was a bit more.
Just a thought to expand your options.....
Good luck and let us know what you ended up with..:)
:drool:

I carry a 9SC every day in a crossbreed supertuck.

I'm a big guy and could easily conceal a monster (1911 or something similar). I don't because it doesn't feel comfortable in the long run. I still have to be somewhat physically active while working.

Its not about what I can conceal, its about what I can conceal and still go about my day to day activity. I never want to say "well, I have to do this today and won't carry my gun because it would be difficult."

Get something that you can carry EVERY DAY.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh yeah, you will not out shoot a SC.

Not saying its impossible, but if you are having this much question in the decision between the tactical and SC due to accuracy, you are not going to out shoot either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts