Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. This is Tony from White Hat Holsters. We get the question periodically about integrating a mag holder in the holster so the spare mag can be carried on the strong side with the gun. We have considered creating a product like this but I have some reservations about it. I have never trained in this manner but it would seem to me that having the mag integrated into the holster would pose some serious drawbacks when trying to reload. My overall motto is, if its not a product I would personally use and trust my life to, then I wont make it or sell it. So I have a few questions about the feasibility of this idea and was wondering if any of you could help me out.

Have you, or do you currently, carry a holster with the spare mag integrated into, or attached to it?

How have you trained to quickly reload with this configuration?

Do you have to move your gun to your weak hand to extract and reload the magazine if it is on the strong side?

Would you be interested in a holster product that has the magazine integrated into the holster?

How do you currently carry your spare magazine?

I am truly open to any insights you guys have. We are always looking to develop new products and improve on existing ones so any feedback would be appreciated. Ready...... GO!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
First of all, my waist is not big enough to have a dual holster from both my gun and spare mag. I use a Stealth Gear Onyx and position the gun right about 3:00. The front belt clip is riding about 1:30 and the rear belt clip is riding about 5:30 with the gun in this position. A wider hybrid holster would literally wrap around half of my waist. This does not even sound comfortable just carrying it. The reload part would be even more difficult.

I currently use a single kydex mag carrier from StayHolstered. I have one for my XDs and one for my XDsc. I carry either one OWB on my weak side, usually around 8:00. To me a dual holster is nothing more than a gimmick. It might work for a few individuals, but it is definitely not for a lot of people. I would put it in the same category as a holster I found one time in searching different manufacturers. It is a full kydex holster molded to carry 2 fullsize pistols in an X shape and carried at 6:00.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/487514728388030466/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, my waist is not big enough to have a dual holster from both my gun and spare mag. I use a Stealth Gear Onyx and position the gun right about 3:00. The front belt clip is riding about 1:30 and the rear belt clip is riding about 5:30 with the gun in this position. A wider hybrid holster would literally wrap around half of my waist. This does not even sound comfortable just carrying it. The reload part would be even more difficult.

I currently use a single kydex mag carrier from StayHolstered. I have one for my XDs and one for my XDsc. I carry either one OWB on my weak side, usually around 8:00. To me a dual holster is nothing more than a gimmick. It might work for a few individuals, but it is definitely not for a lot of people. I would put it in the same category as a holster I found one time in searching different manufacturers. It is a full kydex holster molded to carry 2 fullsize pistols in an X shape and carried at 6:00.
Thanks for that feedback. I share the same sentiment that this is more of a gimmick but I was curious if anyone actually finds this practical.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Have you, or do you currently, carry a holster with the spare mag integrated into, or attached to it?

How have you trained to quickly reload with this configuration?

Do you have to move your gun to your weak hand to extract and reload the magazine if it is on the strong side?

Would you be interested in a holster product that has the magazine integrated into the holster?

I am truly open to any insights you guys have. We are always looking to develop new products and improve on existing ones so any feedback would be appreciated. Ready...... GO!
AIWB I have seen many (the incog comes to mind) reasonable idea, kinda makes a solid shell IMO not enough flexibility to do my daily activities in. Even hurt I move enough its uncomfortable. (I wear a persec spear and the additiona aiwb mag pouch makes the front too cluttered IMO)

Strongside barring only having 1 hand (and had a friend who did it waiting for shoulder surgery) its stupid. Its for people who are simply too lazy to take on and off 2 things, but intellectually honest enough to realize it so they work around it. IMO its not worth it too big of an insulator.

Some can reach accross and grab the mag, but generally you drop the mag, holster the gun grab mag put in mag well draw gun.

If I carried strongside I'd carry aiwb mag. I have used raven mag pouches in the past but they are kinda big.

Currently I run aiwb persec spear, with a moduloader from raven with a 10 speed mag pouch in my pocket. I do that to keep a soft left side so I can hug and so on with my neices and nephews and other people without them hitting anything big. Also makes it so visually if trying to be discreet I only have 1 thing to worry about showing (my pistol)

IMO as someone thats carried for 8 years (Will only admit to the years I could legally carry) quick detach is an absolute must for EVERYTHING. Without it compacency slowly gains ground until something gets left behind.

Oh I previously carried raven phantom w/x300U (now persec spear w/x300U) I went aiwb due to less pressure on my hips after back injury primarily while driving, now I've found its less pressure all the time and I feel less bad.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I've had OWB holster/mag pouch, but only used it while out stomping around in the desert...knife, canteen, and rifle or shotgun ammo took up a lot of real estate all the way around so consolidation was the determining factor.
I've seen the combination done with hybrids but it always strikes me as "mall ninja" stuff...not a serious piece of equipment.

Reactions: yocan

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If you won't use it , why make it? I personally overlook manufactures that make useless products just to make a buck whenever possible. But if a customer requests a variation of your products I don't see a problem with fulfilling the order . With a significient up charge of course . I just wouldn't put it out there as a product ,just a option .

My 2€

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I would not carry one, but my holster maker made this one for someone else - just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I carry my 1911 in an OWB holster/mag holder when hunting. I load with my hunting rounds and carry a spare mag of FMJ. Being OWB and riding low, it's not too bad on reload with support side hand. But other than hunting, I carry IWB at 3:30 with spare in either back pocket or pouch weak side.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think holster makers make these as a matter of convenience but a bad idea from a tactical standpoint. It is difficult to reach across your body with you off hand to reach a mag on your strong side.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
^ So a cross-draw holster is not tactically viable, then, right?

Everyone has different needs - I would not see a problem as long as it (the setup) was mindful of a singular fact - that the resident magazine MUST not impede the draw of the gun in any way, no matter it if (the magazine) is place in front of or behind the gun (in relation to the "clocking" on-body).

While my EDC concealed-carry setup is a traditional one, with strong side holster and the spare on the non-dominant side, I have seen many who either choose to carry in the magazine-with-gun manner described either in terms of EDC concealed carry (with holsters ranging from the discount-bin "tactical-Nylon" type that I would consider to be unacceptable to full-custom leather or Kydex as cited/pictured above) as well as for competition and class/training.

To me, one of the big advantages of this setup would be as yocan cited, specifically in terms of the non-dominant hand not being able to be used - in this specific scenario, having one spare magazine on the dominant side can result in a big plus where it comes to economy of movement. For concealed-carry, I think that for the right person, this kind of setup can provide unique opportunities in terms of concealment and utility (i.e. a small-waisted person would needs to carry a cell-phone, medical device, etc. on the support side).

For me, it is in the framework of training classes that I would like to have a spare magazine mounted to my dominant side.

If the support/reaction/non-dominant hand is not available to index the magazine and reload, then something has to be done with the gun in your dominant hand, if only it (your dominant hand) can access the magazine. In this scenario, like yocan wrote above, one technique is to return the gun to the holster (yes, the slide can be locked open at this point) then index and insert the mag. Other placements of the gun are possible (knees, armpit, or even just dropping it on the floor), but it all requires that the shooter somehow frees up that hand.

The weak/support/reactionary/non-dominant hand is not typically needed at all. For most pistols, the base-plate (either factory or aftermarket - and it doesn't even have to be as aggressive as a Magpul Speed Plate or even the GAP Enterprises units) can be used to leverage a "sticky" or even stuck (think double-feed stoppage) magazine, particularly if the magazine well or grip frame has been modified/relieved (most of us are familiar with relief cuts made to each side of the grip, but the same consideration can and have also be given to the frontstrap) to allow for more certain access. For simply "sticky" mags, various inertial techniques (such as a quick rotation of the wrist or a shake) will work just fine, too.

If both hands are available, as long as the magazine is held where it can be easily accessed by the non-dominant hand, there should be no problems accessing the magazine. I recently saw this setup via SOB Holsters out of Ohio, and here, it looks like the maker specifically worked with the end-user to customize the angle at which the spare is held, to facilitate indexing and withdrawal via the non-dominant hand:

For me, it's about comfort - I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur Concealment Magazine Pouch, carried at my 9-o'clock, support side, to house a full-size 19-round magazine, with X-Tension, for the reload on my XDm9 3.8 Compact. The large leather flap overlying where the basepad would be gives me the comfort I need, as I typically do not wear an undershirt (I'm an academic scientist by trade, so I'm pretty much a jeans and un-tucked T-shirt kind of guy). The biggest compromise in this setup is that I cannot count on being able to successfully use the pouch to house the removed partial mag from a tactical reload, as the non-reinforced lip will close. Given the unlikely scenarios that I would need to do so, as well as understanding that I can just as easily shove the partial inside my waistband without the holder, this is a compromise I was willing to make. [ And yes, I routinely attend training classes where I use this pouch as my primary feeder. ]

-----

It is a full kydex holster molded to carry 2 fullsize pistols in an X shape and carried at 6:00.
That one looks really awkward. There's better alternatives if you want to play around with one. ;)

I wrote a bit on those double behind-the-back holsters (including that one above) on a BFA thread:

Firearms Forum Online • View topic - Holsters and Small of Back carry

Yeah, I was an airsoft gaming nerd. :) I hope my daughter will want to do it when she gets older. I really like - and miss - the immersive gaming atmosphere that it offers.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
^ The holster is branded "Sig Sauer." ;)

There's definitely a market for it - but to-wit, there's a market for the Versacarry, too.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
^ The holster is branded "Sig Sauer." ;)

There's definitely a market for it - but to-wit, there's a market for the Versacarry, too.
I got a VersaCarry for a 3" barrel .40 I will give to the first person who asks for it, and I will even pay shipping.:cool: It was my second "holster" and carried with it maybe 5 times tops. :oops:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
For a trail gun or such where a speed reload isn't needed, maybe, but a mag on the strong side just doesn't work well. Plus the training aspect. if you train & practice support side reload, it isn't going to come naturally under stress. The only benefit I can see would be a one hand, strong hand reload.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The only time I ever carried a reload on the strong side was when I carried a revolver. Being a lefty I had to change hands to reload and having the speed loader on my left side made it easier. I would never do that with a semi auto, I would carry the extra mag on my weak side. I have seen holsters like the integrated mag carrier and I just kinda scratch my head.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
The only time I ever carried a reload on the strong side was when I carried a revolver. Being a lefty I had to change hands to reload and having the speed loader on my left side made it easier. I would never do that with a semi auto, I would carry the extra mag on my weak side. I have seen holsters like the integrated mag carrier and I just kinda scratch my head.
I love revolvers but I'm lefty also.

Keeps me from looking too seriously at them.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I wouldn't buy a holster with the mag(s) attached. Just the extra weight of one or two full mags, for me, would be better served on the opposite side. Strictly an ease of use and comfort issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts