Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying my first XD within the week. I've had my mind set on a XD 5" Tactical in .40. Talking to a guy in a gunshop, he was pushing real hard that the 4" is much more useful and that the 5" was just to big. His thought that a 4" would be a good all purpose gun ie: CCW, competition, home defense kind of made sense. I've got a GLock 26 that I carry so really wouldn't have a reason to carry the XD(although it would be nice to have the option) and would be buying it mainly for shooting steel plates and home defense.
Also is it true that you only need a 9mm barrel to convert it to shoot 9mm? And 357 Sig?
Can you get adjustable sights for the XD's?

Sorry if these questions are ignorant but I've got a very slow internet connection and takes forever to browse. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I don't believe the 9mm converting to sig....I believe you would need a .40 as the .357 sig is a bottlenecked .40 casing....from what I've read.

If you're set on the 5 inch tactical then pick up the 5 inch....don't let the gunstore rep push you into something that you don't want...you may end up regreting it later. What I tell everyone who makes a purchase...it's your money...buy what you want...afford what you buy....and purchase what is comfortable for you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree. If you want the 5", then go for it. I love mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
1) All you need to shoot 9mm out of a .40 XD is a conversion barrel. You can either modify the feed lips on some spare .40 mags or buy proper 9mm mags. My opinion: buy 9mm mags. Yes, you can get a .357 barrel as well for the .40 cal. Gotta love the versatility.

2) Yes you can get adjustable sights

3) 4" vs. 5": Your call. I chose 4", but to each his own. You have to live with the gun, not the dealer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The .357 is a sweet cartridge (although I've never shot it in an XD) but ammo cost is a bear. If it's just going a target/range gun, go with the Tactical if that's what you want. But...I also had a G26 that I loved, until I wrapped my hands around my XD9 Service. At that point the 26 had to go and it was replaced with an XD9sc.

Bottom line, get what you want. He's probably just pushing to move stock that they've had sitting around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will stick with the 5" that I've had my heart set on for over a year. Makes me sick the prices we have to pay here in Cali. See the same gun in other parts of the country selling in the mid $400's. Here I will be paying almost $650 out the door. I assume the higher prices have something to do with the fact we are in Ca.

I am set up for reloading with a Dillion 550 so I will be able to make my own 'cheap' accurate ammo. So the conversion barrels sound real enticing since the 357 Sig ammo prices won't hurt quite as bad.
Thanks for everyones input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts