Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ABCs of reloading.
I'm getting the HODGDON ANNUAL MANUAL 2008.
I still do not have a press or dies, I do have a vibrator. I'm holding out for a Lee Progressive.

Anyway... I'm buying Christmas gifts and I'm buying one friend, Lee's "Modern Reloading 2nd Ed". I'm getting another friend Lee's "Modern Reloading 2nd Ed." with single stage press.

My questionis, since I'm doing this order, do I need a copy of Modern Reloading 2nd Ed? If I can skip it, then it'll save me $$, and with Christmas here, I need all the $$ I can get.

Hardrwarz

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
I have loaded thousands of rounds without looking at a reloading manual. Everything you need is online. I know people will respond to this saying this is unsafe, but they're wrong. Just check info from several sources and use your head.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I was thinking about it, this is about Christmas, not me. I'll just skip me for now.

Thanks,

Hardwarz

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have loaded thousands of rounds without looking at a reloading manual. Everything you need is online. I know people will respond to this saying this is unsafe, but they're wrong. Just check info from several sources and use your head.
No, I am not wrong, & while it's not unsafe to reload w/ reloading manual, it is unwise. Today you can get current data from the powder manuf. on line. This pretty much negates the reloading manual as a must have, but I can have my reloading manuals at my bench while loading, ref. them side by side for instant comparison. There is also a bunch of good stuff in the manuals that you don't get w/ on line data sources. FWIW, the Lee is not my fav. manual. The Speer & Lyman are better for me, JMO. Either way, you should be checking at least two independant, published sources for new powder/bullet combos. There is a lot of variation in the industry for testing loads.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
The Lee manual is great, and goes into fine detail. It is great to have on hand for reference on loads and techniques. If you have the $$$, I would get it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Lyman manual is a good source of infomation they have been it the trade for just over 100 years B.J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts