Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a EFK Firedragon barrel from someone here the other day. It came in, and I installed it. Looks good, and everything seems to function correctly so far. I haven't shot it yet though.

I was reading another post on another site about a magna-ported v/s muzzlebrake rifle choice. Most answers spoke about the reduced felt recoil, but some also noted that they were hard on a gun - loosening scope mounts, etc... It was also noted that the guns were notably louder on the range, and that the shooters should be courteous of others on the range, as the noise could affect other shooters close by. Someone also mentioned what kind of rounds not to shoot out of a rifle with those additions.

I've been told my pistol will be louder with the ported barrel, but I haven't tried it yet. My concerns are:

1) Will this affect others to the degree noted? If so, I want to be concious of it and even more courteous to the others on the range.

2) Are there any rounds that I should avoid? I know my SA XD manual for the stock ported barrels notes, "Do not use handloads, reloads, or remanufactured ammunition... Do not use shot cartridges or any ammunition which is loaded with a frangible projectile or any ultralight weight projectile at elevated velocities..." I don't think they would... but would hollow points be considered a frangible projectile? I just bought Hornady TAP ammo. Can I use that? I'm concerned because of the note about "fragments of the metal jackets on jacketed bullets may be propelled through the exhaust ports..." That would cover a lot more, wouldn't it? Like FMJ and JHP rounds, right?

3) Will it be harder on my frame? Should I install an aftermarket dual-action spring, like the one from EFK Firedragon?

Thanks for listening to the amatuer ported barrel user questions. I just want to make sure I don't mess up BEFORE I go to the range.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Is there a specific reason you are interested in a ported barrel? I am curious about the pros as I am new to handguns and wonder why we would want/need them?

Thanks.
Don

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decreased muzzle jump and felt recoil from what I've been told. I can only go by what I've been told, as I have not yet used it. I did not notice a difference in my F.I.L.'s Glock from my XD (both are .40's), but then again, I did not have a non-ported Glock to compare it to, so it's not an accurate comparison.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
With a ported barrel you will also have the advantage of being completely blinded by the muzzle flash that gets blasted up in front of you if you are shooting in a defensive situation in anything other than broad daylight. Wouldn't touch a ported barrel with a ten foot pole unless maybee it was to only be a range/fun gun and had a recoil/flip that was totally unmanageable. I have a 10mm and even with a max load I don't need a ported barrel.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
MUCH louder at the range, I wouldn't want to shoot one without ear protection

Much louder to people standing even 5-6 feet behind you, you can really feel the shock wave.

You will be blinded by the muzzle blast shooting up toward your eyes.

You have a likely chance of burning yourself if you are not holding at arms length, or burning someone else nearby you if that situation presents itself.

You will have more cleanup of your barrel as the ports shave minute amounts of the bullet off, causing greater wear and tear and partical fragments.

I say all of the above out of experience. The First .357 Sig I bought was a glock 32 with a compensated barrel.
It's about as useless a gimmick that anyone needs in a fighting handgun. Okay, if you have a .500 Magnum, then obviously it helps a considerable deal with recoil...but again, muzzle flash is increased upward toward your sight picture.
People who buy the ported barrel do so for one of 2 reasons. It's different and therefore cool to show off as it's eye candy. or door #2, it's the gimmick factor. Otherwise nobody would be buying the joke of a revolver, the Taurus Judge:roll:

Do yourself a favor, sell the barrel, be a little more practical w/ your money, and buy ammo or something else useful like a unicorn

·
Registered
408 Posts
wow there is a lot of ignorance surrounding this topic i am actually dismayed......
I have a V10 so i feel i may be able to address some of these concerns...

Yes, its louder. Not by much. If you dont wear ear pro then you might tell the diff.

Yes, the muzzle jump is reduced by ALOT!!! very fun. I have a vid shooting dbl taps offhand somewhere here.

Yes, the action is slightly limited by the reduced recoil force, only the limpest of wrists will see any kind of malfunction with a ported barrel.

i have shot every kind of cheap ass ammunition with my gun, no probs...

Little chunks of **** will fly out of the ports. Live with it. Maybe not that great for shooting close to your body/eyes.

NOOOOOOOOO the whole "It'll blind you!" **** is mostly bogus. Yeah, youll notice it in the dark. No you wont be blind. Yes itll be a little harder to see a stock front sight.
I would say it reduces night vision by maybe 20%. if you have night sights its probably a wash...
All that being said the ported bbls are still best left to fun guns, but im not going to dismiss mine from SD duty, mainly because its the only thing i got, and im fine with that.
I put 9 dbl taps as fast as i can pull the trigger on a man sized torso at 15yds.

also let it be known im a bit spoiled from the very low recoil of my ported gun in 9mm. :)
take everything you read with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
kaboom - Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and respect and understand your opinion and experience with ported barrels.

azguns0331 - Thank you also for the reply. I appreciate you actually touching on some of the questions that I asked. That is the type of information I was looking for - whether it was good or bad news - but I definitely appreciate the time you took to answer the questions.

I tend to totally ignore comments that have things like "Do yourself a favor, sell the barrel, be a little more practical w/ your money, and buy .... something else useful like a unicorn". But I guess there are people like that everywhere you go. That's too bad. Is there an "ignore this user" feature on this site?

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
kaboom - Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and respect and understand your opinion and experience with ported barrels.

azguns0331 - Thank you also for the reply. I appreciate you actually touching on some of the questions that I asked. That is the type of information I was looking for - whether it was good or bad news - but I definitely appreciate the time you took to answer the questions.

I tend to totally ignore comments that have things like "Do yourself a favor, sell the barrel, be a little more practical w/ your money, and buy .... something else useful like a unicorn". But I guess there are people like that everywhere you go. That's too bad. Is there an "ignore this user" feature on this site?

All the best,
Glenn
LOL ouch on the "unicorn" thing lol

First off I have ZERO actual experience with ported barrels on pistols, but I have read enough of OTHER peoples experience with them to offer my opinion ( and it is ONLY an opinion on my part ) on the concept. SA sold a lot of the V series in 9 and 40 ( the niner had some slide cracking probs, the 40s were ok ) I'm sure others with actual experience will post here too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
MUCH louder at the range, I wouldn't want to shoot one without ear protection
Much louder to people standing even 5-6 feet behind you, you can really feel the shock wave.
From standing About 10 feet behind or so, wearing ear protection I can not tell the difference between a ported and a none ported xd40. However not wearing ear protection I could tell, not very noticable, but I could tell.

You will be blinded by the muzzle blast shooting up toward your eyes.
I have gone out to BLM land at sunset and I was not blinded. There was muzzle blast from the ports, but it was totally managable. I tend to close on eye when I shoot, so one eye does not get affected by the flash so, it was a matter of milla-seconds to let my other eye adjust. After practicing, it doesnt affect me at all.

You have a likely chance of burning yourself if you are not holding at arms length, or burning someone else nearby you if that situation presents itself.
I practice a draw that I only pull up to my lowest rib and shoot from there one handed(sorry I dont know the proper name), and I have never been burned. I do however feel a shock wave a little more compared to a none ported, kind of like standing right in front a speaker at a concert, but it goes away in a second or two.

You will have more cleanup of your barrel as the ports shave minute amounts of the bullet off, causing greater wear and tear and partical fragments.
yes I do have to clean more soot off of the front sight and slide, but it is not any type of metal or partical fragments that I can tell. When I am out shooting or at a uspsa match I just wipe the site off with my thumb.

People who buy the ported barrel do so for one of 2 reasons. It's different and therefore cool to show off as it's eye candy. or door #2, it's the gimmick factor. Otherwise nobody would be buying the joke of a revolver, the Taurus Judge:roll:
I bought mine because I liked the way it shot over a non ported, less muzzle flip and less recoil in a 40. The reduced recoil is not as noticable when you compare a non ported xd9 to a ported xd9. For me, it was very noticable shooting with my non dominant arm, that is what sold it for me.

You might be absolutly correct as I am newb. However based from my experience I woud tend to disagree with you. I have a 4" xd40 V10 which is factory ported, and shoot with my friend who has an xd40 subcompact non ported.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow. Lot of ported haters out there... to be honest, they sound like ****ing pussies when they bitch about the Ported Barrels. It's like... they have this hatred towards them, as though the ported barrel is some kind of ravenous dog bent on complete, utter bloodlust and wants to eat your children.... wtf man. grow up.

So what if it's a little louder, put some fckin ear plugs in. If you're going to shoot any type of gun, expect it to be loud. my new XD40 with the ported V10 can't be any louder than my 1911. If i have to be courteous of how loud my gun is at the range, then how the hell am i supposed to shoot it? Should i just stop shooting my 1911 and XD40 V10 because they are loud? are you fckin kidding me?

So what if there is a little fire exhaust out the ports, I hardly noticed mine in the dark, i thought it looked wicked and it intensified my shooting lust. It's a mean lookin son of a bitch, and the reduced flip made me shoot tighter and quicker.

And so there is a little grime and soot that accumulates on top? stop acting like an 8 year old girl and wipe the **** off.

If i have to be hit anywhere with the ported exhaust: in the face, the side, the leg, whatever... Then i think i will feel fckin great because i'm not the asshole that just got the full muzzle exhause along with a 140gr DPx hollow point Cor-Bon. Think i can tuff it out, if you marry's can't handle it, then that's your problem. Don't tell me i have a piece of ****.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot I had posted this when I first got it. I debunked the majority of the claims against it the very first time I took it to the range. I loved it so much, I'm jumping in line for the SC version when EFK finally releases it.

I've put tons of rounds through it since the original post regarding this subject. The EFK ported barrel remains in my weapon and is the only barrel I use anymore in it. The factory barrel has been retired to the gun safe.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
If you are at the range, or anyplace else,shooting you need to protect your hearing. Ported or not,you will damage your hearing if you don't.

I have a kimber 45 with an after market barrel,firedragon, and it does reduce recoil and muzzle flip.As to the muzzle flash, its no worse then an unported barrel. All of the other complaints are of no value.

don

·
Registered
54 Posts
V10 owners unite.:p

It is louder. I wouldn't worry about your night vision unless you're using NVG's.

Something I have noticed that nobody else has mentioned is there is a blast wave that pushes in on my shooting glasses causing me to close my shooting eye. I'm working on keeping it open but its a reflex, its not due to the noise there is an actual sound wave or something that buffets you like a burst of air, could be the expanding gases.

The barrel around the outside ports and the ports on the slide is tough to clean, I've given up on scrubbing the slide ports.

Get it if you want something unique. But not for carry / sd if thats what you're looking for.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I've got a ported .357 mag and between it and a non-ported .357mag of the same length barrel there is no major perceivable difference in brightness of muzzle flash at night or it's "blinding" effect. That may be in part to a .357mag through a 2" is going to give you a pretty big fireball whether it has ports or not though. Thus, your mileage may vary depending on bbl. length and round being fired.

There is a perceivable "shock" which may also be part of the extra noise. They are louder. A ton louder? No. Noticeable though.

On rifles the difference in loudness between the same gun w/ a comp/ports versus one without is more pronounced. What I want to know is who is complaining about loudness at the range anyway???? Can a gun be "too loud" at a shooting range? I submit: no. Do I feel bad when I'm at the range shooting the mosin nagant and some folks show up w/ a 10/22 and no hearing protection and move to a different bay because of the big boom? Nope.

Cleaning ports can be obnoxious as well especially if you've been shooting cast lead bullets.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It cracks me up that some people don't read the thread - they just post. Not that I mind anyone posting - that's their right. But it's funny that people don't read before posting. If they did, their response might be different.

I don't own a factory ported gun (nothing against them... I just don't own one). I own a non-factory ported gun with a EFK ported barrel.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
1) Will this affect others to the degree noted? If so, I want to be concious of it and even more courteous to the others on the range.

The ported XD V10 is frickin LOUD. the firedragon barrel will, likely, be louder than the regular, non ported barrel, but should be much quieter than, say, the V10. Somewhat depends on the angles of the ports. ports away from you shouldn't be much louder than standard barrels.

2) Are there any rounds that I should avoid? I know my SA XD manual for the stock ported barrels notes, "Do not use handloads, reloads, or remanufactured ammunition... Do not use shot cartridges or any ammunition which is loaded with a frangible projectile or any ultralight weight projectile at elevated velocities..." I don't think they would... but would hollow points be considered a frangible projectile? I just bought Hornady TAP ammo. Can I use that? I'm concerned because of the note about "fragments of the metal jackets on jacketed bullets may be propelled through the exhaust ports..." That would cover a lot more, wouldn't it? Like FMJ and JHP rounds, right?

Frangible rounds are usually clearly marked FRANGIBLE. JHP, HP, magnashok, etc... should all be fine. Shot rounds and frangible rounds are almost always clearly marked. Frangibles and shot-shell rounds are designed to shatter on impact or use, whereas expanding rounds are designed to do just that. expand.

3) Will it be harder on my frame? Should I install an aftermarket dual-action spring, like the one from EFK Firedragon?

Shouldn't require changes. I have heard problems of V10 XDs getting cracks between the ported outs on the slide, but the intense heat, and smaller surface area are probably to account for this. EFK's shouldn't bother with this either, as your firearm hasn't been 'thinned out' like the V10s are.

Thanks for listening to the amatuer ported barrel user questions. I just want to make sure I don't mess up BEFORE I go to the range.

All the best,
Glenn
Replies in red

1 - 18 of 18 Posts