Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did some reloads w/ Missouri 147gr flat tip lead bullets, used 2.8-3.3 (min and max) of bullseye and and made two groups of OAL. One was set at 1.050 and the other at 1.150, when shooting both OAL side by side from min to max I notice that the longer OAL was leaving black rings on the paper vs. light gray on the shorter OAL. Anyone know what that means? I'm thinking of sticking to a shorter OAL might go 1.100.

Thanks

P.S. both work flawlessly, I like the heavier bullet, seems more like a push than a snap to me.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well I did some reloads w/ Missouri 147gr flat tip lead bullets, used 2.8-3.3 (min and max) of bullseye and and made two groups of OAL. One was set at 1.050 and the other at 1.150, when shooting both OAL side by side from min to max I notice that the longer OAL was leaving black rings on the paper vs. light gray on the shorter OAL. Anyone know what that means? I'm thinking of sticking to a shorter OAL might go 1.100.

Thanks

P.S. both work flawlessly, I like the heavier bullet, seems more like a push than a snap to me.
You are probably getting more soot/carbon on the bullet from the lower presure & unburned powder.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably getting more soot/carbon on the bullet from the lower presure & unburned powder.
hmmm thanks fred! Would more smoke be an indication of it also? Or is bullseye naturally smoky?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
hmmm thanks fred! Would more smoke be an indication of it also? Or is bullseye naturally smoky?
Yes, but IMO, BE is really dirty @ any pressure level. I don't think they have changed the formula in 100yrs since it's birth. There are better choices today. I tried BE 35yrs ago, never went back to it. Too small a charge & dirty as liberal attorney in a whore house. Try WST, AA#2, W231 (I still find it smokey w/ lead bullets), VV310.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but IMO, BE is really dirty @ any pressure level. I don't think they have changed the formula in 100yrs since it's birth. There are better choices today. I tried BE 35yrs ago, never went back to it. Too small a charge & dirty as liberal attorney in a whore house. Try WST, AA#2, W231 (I still find it smokey w/ lead bullets), VV310.
Thanks for the recomendations!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Been using VV N-350 and 3n37 for all my 9mm reloads. Very clean, and not overly sensitive to temps or OAL. I prefer the N350, seems like I was able to dial in a more accurate round.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts