Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just doing a routine cleaning on my AR and I noticed one of the 3 gas rings has a much larger gap than the other 2.

I'm assuming this is bad but what exactly do the gas rings do? I know I heard to always make sure the gap in each ring isn't line up with another and to always make sure they're staggered but other than that I've never paid much attention to them.

They're out of a DPMS bolt and I've heard DPMS isn't the greatest when it comes to quality parts.

I'm looking at a midway-usa catalog and the only replacement parts I see are DPMS and Oly arms. I'm not knocking either manufacturer but from everything I've read these are the only 2 I've heard anything "bad" about.

So what exactly do the gas rings do? How bad is it that mine are in this condition? Should I replace them and if so with what replacement parts? If I keep using the gun in this condition what is the worst that can happen?

TIA and here are some pics:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
gas rings act to seal the interface between the bolt carrier and the bolt...much like slip rings on a cylinder in an engine. they create the seal that allows the bcg to move from gas pressure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool. I started looking at it and didn't know they could make that well of a seal...guess so.

I did some more looking and came across this:
MidwayUSA - DPMS Bolt Gas Ring McFarland 1-Piece AR-15

Has anyone tried one of these 1 piece ring set up?

Only about $1 more than the standard 3 ring set up

And I'm assuming to install them you just clip them in place right?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the input. The single ring assy got pretty good reviews but maybe I'll just get both since its only a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I have ran the McFarland gas rings in six AR's, to include a DPMS LR308. Would not even think of going back to standard rings.
I have a few "like-new" standard gas rings, drop me a pm, I'll send them to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts