Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a newbie to guns and i always hear people mention condition 1 carry. so i search for an explanation of the codes and i found the following:

Conditions of Readiness.

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked.

Condition 3 - There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the mag well.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well

i have an HS45 compact pistol. I carry it with a loaded chamber (10+1). would i be right to say, i'm carrying it condition 0 since my gun does not have manual safety?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think that list was intended primarily for 1911s, I am not sure it that properly translates for an XD since there isn't an external hammer you could cock or uncock nor a manual safety.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Army system might be more appropriate for your XD:

Red: Round in chamber, loaded mag
Amber: Empty Chamber, loaded mag
Green: Empty chamber, no mag in weapon.

With the Army system, the safety (if there is one) is engaged any time you are not actively shooting. One of our drills was "Weapon up, Weapon down." Lift the weapon and disengage the safety, lower the weapon and engage it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i'm a newbie to guns and i always hear people mention condition 1 carry. so i search for an explanation of the codes and i found the following:

Conditions of Readiness.

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked.

Condition 3 - There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the mag well.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well

i have an HS45 compact pistol. I carry it with a loaded chamber (10+1). would i be right to say, i'm carrying it condition 0 since my gun does not have manual safety?

IMHO...here is the more correct way of defining Condition 1:

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is on.

With a holstered HS/XD/XDm, the safeties are engaged. The grip safety, trigger safety, and striker block are all in the "On Safe" position. The HS/XD/XDm just makes actuation of the safeties a much more natural part of the draw & fire process.

I consider a HS/XD/XDm in a holster with a round in the chamber to be in Condition 1.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
IMHO...here is the more correct way of defining Condition 1:

Condition 1 - Also called "cocked and locked", this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is on.

With a holstered HS/XD/XDm, the safeties are engaged. The grip safety, trigger safety, and striker block are all in the "On Safe" position. The HS/XD/XDm just makes actuation of the safeties a much more natural part of the draw & fire process.

I consider a HS/XD/XDm in a holster with a round in the chamber to be in Condition 1.
+1 Agree...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts