Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys in my Irvine office knows I'm into AR's and has been asking me a bunch of quesions. He wants to get one, but hit me up with something I didn't have the answer to.

Can someone explain how the California legal magazine attachment works? Specifically, how the hell do you reload the thing at the range? Do you shoot off your 10 rounds and then need to break out tools to pull the mag off and reload?

If that's the case, I'm almost ready to tell him to get something with stripper clips like an M1 Garand or SKS....

·
Registered
679 Posts
My understanding is that a magazine needs to be "permanently affixed" (defined as needing a "tool" to disassemble).

If you have a Bullet Button (BB), or Prince 50 (P50), these require a "tool" (bullet tip) to release the magazine.

The portion I am unclear about is the "capacity to accept a detachable magazine". A magazine is by nature detachable, yet once one is inserted into the receiver it is fixed, assuming you have a BB or P50.

It is a really sticky area worth researching. I suggest you review the following:
Calguns.net

http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf

Welcome to Calgunlaws.com!

·
Registered
307 Posts
My understanding is that a magazine needs to be "permanently affixed" (defined as needing a "tool" to disassemble).

If you have a Bullet Button (BB), or Prince 50 (P50), these require a "tool" (bullet tip) to release the magazine.

The portion I am unclear about is the "capacity to accept a detachable magazine". A magazine is by nature detachable, yet once one is inserted into the receiver it is fixed, assuming you have a BB or P50.

It is a really sticky area worth researching. I suggest you review the following:
Calguns.net

http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf

Welcome to Calgunlaws.com!

+1 on Calguns.net...have him go there, everything he needs to know is there.

Not a sticky or Grey area at all, the law is written clearly. You need a fixed magazine, a bullet button or Prince 50 makes the magazine fixed. A bullet button is a button that replaces normal magazine button and you need to push a bullet or tip of pen or something small in there to drop the magazine, thus fixed magazine requiring a "tool". The capacity to accept a magazine is not the issue, it is a fixed magazine issue.

The way the law is written, "a bullet is considered a tool".

·
Registered
679 Posts
Not a sticky or Grey area at all, the law is written clearly. You need a fixed magazine, a bullet button or Prince 50 makes the magazine fixed.
I may need to do some more reading up, as I have 2 lowers and 2 BB's on their way to me.

But I can't remember the justification for "detachable magazine" Vs. a "Mag lock".

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Keep in mind, even with the bullet button, Cali still limits 10 rounds

·
Registered
307 Posts
I may need to do some more reading up, as I have 2 lowers and 2 BB's on their way to me.

But I can't remember the justification for "detachable magazine" Vs. a "Mag lock".

Yeah, it's been pounded to death quite a bit. There's a lot of FUD being spread around even by gunshops or certain uninformed LEO's about the bullet button. It states clearly in the written law that a bullet is considered a tool. Definitely check out the CalGuns AW Flowchart at the top right of the page above your username, print that out and keep it with you. There are a lot of threads in the 2nd Amendment and Legal Section that cover this to great depths. A BB and a Prince 50 both create fixed magazines.

With a Prince 50 (mag lock) you use the allen key to lock the mag button so that the magazine is fixed, you have to top load with that. As soon as you release the allen screw you have a functioning mag release button, in Cali that's considered and Evil AW. These are good for people who go back and forth from AZ or NV a lot or if you just like to top load. :rolleyes:

With the BB, it creates a "Fixed Magazine" because the magazine cannot be released without the use of a tool. With this, you can still drop the magazine because you are using a tool to detach it, and when you put the magazine back in it's "Fixed" again. To be safe in Cali with your OLL I always travel to-from range or desert with an empty mag in the well with the bolt locked back. That way if you're pulled over and the rifle is inspected the magazine is fixed and cannot be removed. I prefer this because I hate top loading and I'm not going shooting in AZ or NV anytime soon, and if i do I'll just take the BB out and put the normal button in while I'm there.

PM me if you have any specific questions or need to know more about it. :cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Keep in mind, even with the bullet button, Cali still limits 10 rounds

Yup.

You can buy 10/30's and 10/20's but it's definitely not the same as a free state and full 30 round mags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts