Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying my first 1911 45 ACP. Why is it that every one I look at folks say to purchase after market mag upgrades? Do any come with good mags? If not why even provide them? I am going to be spending between 800-1000 and my thoughts are that it should come ready to go and not need any aftermarket anythings to make it more reliable.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've never had a problem with the magazines provided with the pistol. In fact, thats all I use. If one gets tweeked, I get a low cost mag replacement. If I splurge, I will get a stainless one.

I like to keep my 1911 mags standardized so I can interchage the followers, springs, bodies, etc., although I very rarely have to.

Congratulation on your 1911, now a 100 year old stroke of genius! Can you imagine? My opinion.......the further away from the original Browning design, the more tempermental they can be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1911 I am looking at is the SA loaded 1911 full-size 5" barrel. I have not yet made a decision on the SS or Parkerized black, but really love this gun. For the money (around $800) I feel it has a lot of upgrades or custom like features too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You may not have any problems with Springfield's standard mag's, I never did when I owned a Loaded. Then again I only used the factory magazines on the range.

I use Wilson's 47D's for carry, they just up the reliability factor over factory.

One of the semi-automatic firearm's weak link's is in it's mag, Always carry a spare.

·
Registered
224 Posts
for me it was more than a mag upgrade i just needed more ammo on hand lol. 8 rounds goes quick and i hate having to load up every few minutes, but if you have a couple extra 1911 mags around it saves your thumbs. plus if i spent all that money on a 1911 your damn right im going to be putting a quality magazine in it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I bought a RIA GI and the dealer said he couldn't find the mag that came with it, so he gave me a cheap ass fake colt magazine. I promptly bought a SS Kimber Pro mag that I've used ever since. I did buy a 8 rnd mag from pro mag but I didn't really like it, it was too thin to me and scratched up my bullet casings really bad so back to the kimber ss mag.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've been having some issues with mags lately. Been able to get most issues resolved except for one mag.

The mags that have come with my pistols (all makes) have worked just fine.

CheckMate mags came with my RIA 1911 and work so well, I've ordered more.
I just tested the nickel plated ones this last weekend and they worked just fine.

My Kimber mag works fine in both my Kimber Pro Carry II and my RIA 1911.

I have found the MECGAR mags are particular. One of those is my problem mag. I did lots of research, lots of looking and poking with my magnifying glasses on and found it to be the follower. It's hanging in the mag. Last round and it sticks after the last round feeds. The slide closes on an empty mag.
The front of the follower doesn't come up after that last round. I've tweaked it a bit and now it will close on the last round 50% of the time.
I'm going to play with it a bit more. If I can't get it to feed reliably, then I'm looking to replace that one. (the follower).
The other MECGARs work fine. The magazine itself is fine.

I did get a Chip McCormick (?) mag and it has that crease up the front instead of a spacer at the back for the 9mm. The only issue with that one is it doesn't like hollow points. It'll feed FMJ all day, but will not feed JHP.

I have 1 Wilson EDM 9mm mag and 4 of the Wilson Tactical mags for the 1911 platform.
They are too long and break ejectors. You have to slide them in very gently or they'll snap off the ejector extension.

Whatever mags you go with, visually inspect how they fit before using them. With and without ammo. Check that ejector for clearance, remember the mag shouldn't touch it, the shell should on the way out of battery to eject it. Not the mag.

·
Premium Member
127,420 Posts
I've had good experiences with Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat mags.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First day on the forum. My favorite gun in my house is my 5" Kimber Custom II (XDm is ordered but not here yet) I use it for home defense and USPSA. I only use Wilson Combat magazines or a magazine that has a WC follower put in it. I had one of almost every other brand (including Kimber) jam with that metal follower when they got a little sand in them. Wilsons I have never had a problem with though, totally worth the price of a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The point I was trying to make was that when you spend $$$$ you should get at least a quality Mag. Why do these companies provide cheap mags? Other than Ammo it seems like a most important part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most of the big name manufacturers provide a good quality magazine with their guns. I've never had any problems with any of the factory mags on the 1911s I've owned, and that's more than a few. Most people will buy extras and will pay for a more expensive mag, but it's not always necessary. And sometimes, tolerances vary on the actual guns that cause the factory mags not to be as reliable as they should be. Odds are that you won't experience any problems with the supplied mags from the big name companies. I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The mags that came with my Springfield loaded work just fine and I used the coupon to buy more factory mags and they all work fine as well. Try what comes with gun then decide just keep in mind that mags that work well in somebody else's pistol may not work well in yours, it's just the nature of the 1911.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts