Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at optics for my S/W MP15 and of course I like the EOTech's. However I have found the Bushnell Holo sight for half the price if not cheaper than the EOTech. The only diffs I have seen are the NV and the "hood" that goes over the EOTechs.... In fact I have been told that EOTech actually makes the sight for Bushnell (if this is untrue please let me know)

So I'm wondering from you more experienced folks what your thoughts on the Bushnell were?

also just FYI if it matters, I would like to later add a Aimpoint 3x magnifier on a twist mount. (don't know if that changes any recommendations but I figured I'd throw it out there)

Thanks for the help and any answers and I appologize as I assume many of you have had to answer this question multiple times from newbies like myself before.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I'm looking at optics for my S/W MP15 and of course I like the EOTech's. However I have found the Bushnell Holo sight for half the price if not cheaper than the EOTech. The only diffs I have seen are the NV and the "hood" that goes over the EOTechs.... In fact I have been told that EOTech actually makes the sight for Bushnell (if this is untrue please let me know)

So I'm wondering from you more experienced folks what your thoughts on the Bushnell were?

also just FYI if it matters, I would like to later add a Aimpoint 3x magnifier on a twist mount. (don't know if that changes any recommendations but I figured I'd throw it out there)

Thanks for the help and any answers and I appologize as I assume many of you have had to answer this question multiple times from newbies like myself before.
I may also be corrected, but I believe it is the other way around.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts

I have the Bushnell on mine and I like it a lot for the $. EOTech and Aimpoint are much nicer but of course much more $. I'm a range plinker, not a Spec Ops guy so it works well enough for me. ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The SPOT is a nice piece of kit for the money unless you had your heart set on the holographic EoTech/Holosight design.

Here is the ARFCOM review (which was pretty @#$%^&* brutal to the sight with excellent results):

http://archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=253934

Unless you are going to subject the sight to some really adverse conditions (rain, mud, ice, Chinese water torture, "fatal beatings", the crap they did to the SPOT, etc.), :) there is no reason to pay more for the EOTech over the Holosight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may also be corrected, but I believe it is the other way around.
Could be... either way the basic unit is made by the same manufacturer as I understand.

I have the Bushnell on mine and I like it a lot for the $. EOTech and Aimpoint are much nicer but of course much more $. I'm a range plinker, not a Spec Ops guy so it works well enough for me. ;)
^I'm in the same situation as you. Pretty much just for punching holes in targets.

Unless you are going to subject the sight to some really adverse conditions (rain, mud, ice, Chinese water torture, "fatal beatings", the crap they did to the SPOT, etc.), :) there is no reason to pay more for the EOTech over the Holosight.
^That was my line of thinking. Just wanted to hear some reassurance, thanks.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check out those links and let you know what I go with.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I like that. I have no reason to be dead set on a Holo sight so I may go that route. Stupid decisions... always making me think.

After reading that review on the AR forum, I was convinced that it was the best option for the money. Del Ton sells the Aimpoint, Eotech, and the SPOT Mark III. I figure that has to be a good sign! I will say that I bought a LaRue mount for it to ensure that it holds zero, but thats not to say that the mount that comes with it won't work just fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not believe Bushnell makes any of the Eotech sights...I used to live right next to the Eotech building, in Ann Arbor. Seems that building would be pretty pointless if Bushnell was doing all the work :rolleyes:
Don't know man, that's why I threw it out there. I'm pretty new to the AR/M4 myself. I was at a gun show this week and a dealer there was trying to sell me the Bushnell Holo and told me that it was made by EOTech for Bushnell and that the only diffs were the NV and the protective "hood" for the EOTech. Now the most important part of that short story was the "he was trying to sell me" part, but I've asked and a few other people have echoed his claim that they are made by the same people. Like I said though, I'm new to this and could be completely wrong....

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Bushnell Holosights are so new in the market that it's hard to find any reviews. Long term assessments are going to be impossible to find. If you get one you'll have to keep us posted on how you do with it. I personally like Eotechs, but if I can get the same thing for my range guns at half price.......

Inquiring minds want to know :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I have found the Bushnell on the net for $240 and it's calling my name. I'm just trying not to be to impulsive.

anyone know if you can get or add the protective hood that covers the EOTech to the Bushnell?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I do not believe Bushnell makes any of the Eotech sights...I used to live right next to the Eotech building, in Ann Arbor. Seems that building would be pretty pointless if Bushnell was doing all the work :rolleyes:
I agree ...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what I've found...

"EOTech, who also designed the Bushnell HOLOsight, is first in the field of heads-up display sighting systems adaptable to small and medium sized weapons platforms."

"A Bushnell Holosight 510021 for hunting and target handguns is a good choice and is made to withstand severe recoil, and is a good choice for shotguns as well. Since they are made by Eotech, you can be sure of the quality."

^
This is from optics planet.com

So I guess I'm gonna try it out. I'll let you all know what I think.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The Bushnell Holosights are so new in the market that it's hard to find any reviews. Long term assessments are going to be impossible to find. If you get one you'll have to keep us posted on how you do with it. I personally like Eotechs, but if I can get the same thing for my range guns at half price.......

Inquiring minds want to know :D
OK, to answer a few questions. L3/Eo makes the Bushnell holosight. The Eo is more for rough/duty use. But otherwise are for the most part the same.

Bushnell Holosights are not new to the market. They have been around for years. matter of fact, I have 2 different models. The discontinued AA model (which i wouldn't part with for no amount of money) and I also have an N Cell battery model which is their current configuration.

As for long term reviews, lets' see. I've had mine for about 6 years. I've changed the AA batteries once. It's been mounted on 3 different firearms ranging from two 223's and one 9mm. Still no problems. Keeps zero, turns on, turns off, brightness controls still work, lens is still clear. I'd say I'm more than pleased with mine.

Caligula, you can't buy an aftermarket hood for the Holosights. To be honest, I dont' think you can buy aftermarket hoods for the Eo either if you did happen to damage one. The hood is the major difference between the 511 Eo and the N Cell Holo.

AA Holosight

N Cell Holosight

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
How much did that suppressor set you back? Which one is it? .. and any videos?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I've been more than pleased with it and its' performance.

The pistol grip is a command arms G27. The front grip/light mount is a Mako.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts