Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably a dumb question, but I sometimes shoot left handed. How do you lefties smoothly work the slide release on your XD? When I shoot right handed, it's easy to reach with my thumb. I wasn't able to work it with my index finger. What's the trick? :?

·
Registered
580 Posts
there are a few methods for this...

one...

don't use the slide release. instead reach up there, and "slingshot" the slide forward. this technique has a large following since it doesn't rely on the "fine motor skill" of using a finger to disengage the slide release. also this is very similar in form to a malfunction correction drill. with practice, this method is just as fast as a regular reload.

two...MY technique

adjust your grip on the pistol slightly so that it orients a bit more to the right while in your hand. this should allow you to disengage the slide release with your trigger finger. with practice, you may not even need to readjust the pistol's orientation.

three...

once you've inserted the mag into the well, and heard/felt that click...with your hand in the same configuration (palm on the mag floor plate, fingers on the knuckles of the shooting hand) reach your finger tips a bit higher, and pull down the slide release.

there are pro's and con's for each method...i would suggest you practice them all, at slow AND fast speeds in order to determine which one you like. or if this is a carry/duty pistol...which one is fastest for you.

8)

·
Registered
603 Posts
c22m22c said:
one...

don't use the slide release. instead reach up there, and "slingshot" the slide forward. this technique has a large following since it doesn't rely on the "fine motor skill" of using a finger to disengage the slide release. also this is very similar in form to a malfunction correction drill. with practice, this method is just as fast as a regular reload.

two...MY technique

adjust your grip on the pistol slightly so that it orients a bit more to the right while in your hand. this should allow you to disengage the slide release with your trigger finger. with practice, you may not even need to readjust the pistol's orientation.
I use method "one" to release the slide, due to the fact that it does not rely on fine motor skills. Method "two" is how I lock the slide back... I use my right hand to pull the slide all the way back, then slide my left index finger up the frame of the gun and push the slide release up to catch the slide. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
580 Posts
oh...thanks matt`g for reminding me...

a technique my (left-handed, as well) best friend use for locking the slide to the rear is to invert the pistol (upsidedown, barrel pointing safely away) reach over the top of the slide with his right thumb on the left side of the slide. as he pulls the slide to the rear, he uses his thumb to pull the slide release into the groove..

he also does this on a SIG228. it might be the best for everypistol, but its just one more way for anyone to consider.

8)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I reach up with my index finger.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lefty here-

Options 1 and 2. Generally option 2 (using my left index finger, which is muscle memory movement for me.)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Agree on "slingshotting" semiautos. That extra little bit of velocity you attain helps prevent feeding failures. That motion is how the firearm was designed to load cartridges anyways.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What is "slingshotting" ? or is this the same as jacking the slide ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
pull the slide all the way back, and let go. same motion as operating a slingshot. try it with the takedown lever up some time...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts