Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you other Illinois civilians employ the "six seconds to safety" loophole regarding your weapons? I do not advocate or condemn this, I was just wanting to hear some more points of view on the subject. So far in Illinois this firearms strategy has been upheld in at least two well-documented cases. If this is something that you do, how do you carry your weapon in your car or anywhere else for that matter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
XD-Fan, I have been a cop in Illinois for 23+ years, and I have never heard of anything called the " Six seconds to safety" loophole. Please elaborate. I am aware of the " Fanny pack approach ". We had a local attorney doing this long before it became popular.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Street Dog said:
XD-Fan, I have been a cop in Illinois for 23+ years, and I have never heard of anything called the " Six seconds to safety" loophole. Please elaborate. I am aware of the " Fanny pack approach ". We had a local attorney doing this long before it became popular.
Street Dog,

I have a sister (a cop in Buffalo Grove) that tells me the fanny pack is a bad idea and still illegal. What does your attorney-friend say?

Old School

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, I was doing my taxes on the computer for the first time. Man that takes it out of you!

Yes, I was referring to the fanny-pack approach I suppose. I'm sure that most municipalities would still consider that type of carry highly illegal in Illinois. Mostly I was thinking about indoors/ public places. etc. I think we all do this when we are taking our firearms to the shooting range with us in the car, but I was also wondering if anyone carries a firearm inside their vehicle in this manner when not enroute to a range or competition? It seems like an exceptable compromise to being completely unarmed, however, I really don't like the idea of leaving one of my firearms in my vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
From what I have heard and read, the Fanny Pack Scenario is 50/50 at best. If you get caught, it will cause you some stress and money, as it depends on the LEO and his understanding of the law, regarding this approach.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read up on it a little while I was slow at work. Doesn't sound like a risk I would want to take. I can understand how you technically could get away with it, It just seems like way to much hassle if you get harassed. For more info and newspaper articalls, check out www.concealcarry.org and www.gunssavelife.com. A lot of explanation and opinions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you ledefoot! It is far too easy for an LEO to interpret our state's gun laws in a way that may do you harm if you carry in this manner. I had almost talked myself into keeping my pistol with me in the car in a zippered pouch unloaded, but I just am too freaked out about the possibility of it being stolen and used in a crime or worse. I would not worry about being harrassed by an LEo for having it in the car unloaded and encased though. I wish Illinois could just wake up and see the writing on the wall as far as CCW goes. Illinois is definitely in a minority in its stance on firearms and lawful possession of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The few times I have carried my pistol in my truck, it was in the closed factory case, under my seat, magazine full, but not in the pistol. Since I'd have to stop the truck, get out, open the 3rd door (Super cab), find the box under the seat (case is too big to slide out the front opening under the seat), open the case, grasp pistol, insert magazine, and rack the slide to use it, I gotta think I meet the "not readily available" requirement.

As a transplant from SC, I gotta ask: What is the people of Illinois (actually the people of Chicago) problem with guns? Actually I know the answer to that. If Cook county had been removed from the state of IL, the state would have voted over 60% for Bush instead of the 70% for Kerry in the last election.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately I think you are right! It would seem that the city of Chicago sets the laws for all of us Illinoisans. I can understand the anxiety towards firearms, I really can. My mother can hardly understand the need for them. She says that the only time she would ever use one is to protect me or a member of her family and that if it were her own safety she doesn't think she could use lethal force. She does, however, support me in my like/ love of firearms and the preparations I take should I need them to protect me or my loved ones. I am related to that mindset so I can understand it. What I cannot understand though is how someone can take a holier than thou attitude and tell me that my own protection should be left up to a total stranger that may not even be accessible to me when I need them most. Armed responsible citizens should be supported in every state.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In IL the law actually only requires that a gun be unloaded and in a case. Not inaccessable. A loaded mag is not considered a loaded gun unless it is in the gun. As far as carrying in a fanny pack it is technically legal, but you are generally going to have problems with police misunderstanding the law and you must consider wether the hassle is worth it. Illinois is like many other states where the large urban areas are populated by very liberal people and they unfortunately have a lot of political power over the rest of the state.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oldschool, The way I read the statute, 720 ILCS 5/24-1 a (4) (iii), you are ok for fanny pack unloaded carry, as long as you have a FOID. The misconception on "not immendiately accessable" is when transporting, when not in a case. My lawyer friend carried in a fanny pack, but carried it like a sholder bag, not around his waist.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Carrying an unloaded gun isn't going to do you much good anyway. I was robbed at gunpoint in East St. Louis and didn't get a "six second warning". If I had attempted to pull out a gun and load it in this situation I would have been shot.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Street Dog,

As Gary G23 stated, carrying an unloaded gun in a bag, just to load and aim in case of need seems to be a bad idea if you are out walking around. Once that adrenaline kicks in, it will be hard to find that zipper.

Now, if I was in the car with the doors locked and windows up, that may be different.

Wake up Illinois! Stop letting Emperor Daley tell you guns are bad and you are irresponsible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts