Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try a local IDPA event and I can either use my XD9SC or my Glock 17. Don't have the funds to buy a tactical yet. Within 7 yards I actually shoot my SC better than my service size Glock. I know the Glock would put me in an easier class, but would I be giving up alot to use the SC in IDPA competition? I'm not concerned about winning, just using my everyday carry gun in practical situations would be reward enough, but at the same time, I don't want to be too undergunned. Are the majority of Stages 10 yards or under or are there more long range stages? I read that some IDPA events have a BUG class, would the SC fit into this class?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Arnisandyz said:
I'm not concerned about winning, just using my everyday carry gun in practical situations would be reward enough

then use it.

IDPA ranges are from 7 - 35 yrds
  • "CoF 2. Seventy-five percent of all shots required in a match must be fifteen (15) yards or less. Occasional targets out to thirty-five (35) yards are to be encouraged."

the only dissadvantage you would have is you would have a shorter sight distance. you will have to take longer to line up your far shots.

i have shot an XD9sc quite effectively in competition scenarios up to 10 yrds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've only competed in 1 IDPA event and used a Glock 17. I'd say probably (for this particular match) 90%+ of the shots were under 10 yards. You should be fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've only been to 2 IDPA matches and at both there were no targets past 20 yards and the majority were from as close as 2 yards out to 15 yards and I shot a XD tactical 9 at both

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yeah, if you're concerned more about just getting trigger time with your XD then by all means use it. Just because its a 3" model doesn't mean you can't win! The 3" models that I've shot have nearly the same recoil and are just as accurate as a 4".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, its good to know the SC can win...but I have alot of practice to do to hold up my part, this would be my first competition! I just want a decent showing and too practice combative skills than I can't practice at the indoor range. As i get more into it, I'm sure the competition aspect will give me some extra motivation to try and get better. I wonder what most people think about using thier sub compact carry gun in competition. Are more people inclined to use what they carry, with the idea that the SC is what you'll be using in real life should something really happen, or driven by the competition and go to the extent of the rules to get an an edge (like a 5" tactical downloaded to minimum power)?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Which pistol do you have more trigger time on? Sure the 17 is the better all-around choice but if you're not very used to Glock's lame trigger you'll be at adistinct disadvantage no matter what distance the targets are at. If you've not done IDPA yet it probably doesn't matter anyway as you'll need to pace your shooting and go slow enough to get as many "minus zero" hits as you can. 1ts. time shooters usually bury themselves with fast times and man, many points down added. So it really boils down to which trigger your finger and subconcious are programed best for. Not to mention the XD, while it is stuck in the most competive division, has a true sear in it to begin with.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Both my 15 yr old son and I shoot IDPA matches 3-4 times a month...have been since early this year. He's a better shooter than I am and we both improve with each match, but neither of us are a threat to win at most matches, especially me! :oops:

Don't go into IDPA worrying about how competitive you will be. Go to have fun and to practice and hone skills that you can't do at a shooting range in most cases.

If you are a CCW holder shoot what you carry every day. Don't worry about competing with anyone but yourself. If your IDPA club is like mine, there are some very good shooters that there's no way you are gonna compete with until you have a lot of practice and trigger time. But, at the same time, these same expert and master class shooters will go out of their way to offer help and advice.

Probably the best advice I can offer: Quit worrying about how you will do, get out from in front of that keyboard and go sign up for that IDPA match!! You won't regret it, I promise. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C.H.Luke said:
Which pistol do you have more trigger time on? .
I have more trigger time on the Glock. Had it since 91 and must have put close to 10,000 rounds through it. I've had my XDSC for about 7 months, but its all I've been shooting since I bought it. The Glock stays in the safe for the most part, unless I'm taking a friend shooting or something. Its been regulated to a "loaner gun". So even though I have more trigger time on the Glock, I prefer and shoot better with the XD (is that any surprise?) even though it has a shorter barrel.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'd love to shoot my CCW piece but being a 380 it neither has the minimum case length nor power factor :(

One "gaming" aspect of IDPA I think is to definately use an OWB holster versus IWB. Whether you carry it inside or out, OWB is just easier to mess with. A lot less worrying when holstering.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I do alright with my SC in competition.

Just save the money you would spend on a service or tactical for practice ammo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I shot my first IDPA match a few weeks ago. Used myXD40SC. Didn't do as well as I'd hoped. Good times, but not so many good hits. Had a lot of fun though and will be at the next match.

I do hope to buy an XD40 Tactical soon. I need all the advantage I can get! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally new to IDPA...How do they run the matches? Do they run each person through one Stage then everybody goes to the next Stage or do they run 1 person at a time through the entire course?

How many mags do I need to get? I know I need 3 (one in the gun and 2 spares) but should I have another set ready to go? I would hate to keep people waiting while I reload.

Gary, did you feel using the SC was big handicap? I'll probably suck regardless of what I shoot, so I figure I might as well get some practice with the gun i carry everyday.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts