Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, "not another cleaning thread!!", but this one has a direct audience:

the users of eezox.

How do you clean your gun with it? I feel the current way I clean it is inadequate.

After shooting, I take a rag and wipe it down, run a bore snake through the barrell, and then apply break free to the barrell, slide, etc

I am thinking of changing to gun butter for the slide, but just wondering how you eezox users use it...drip bottle vs spray can

any information would be helpful

thanks in advance

·
Registered
758 Posts
Depends on the which gun, but for my XD:

Field strip it.

Run a wet patch through the barrel and let set.

Take Qtips, wet with Eezox, and go over the slide and the frame. Making sure to get into all of the cracks.

After I am done with that, I add a drop to a brush and run that through the barrel, then run wet patches until clean.

Other than that, I break everything down when I feel like it and do the deep cleaning with Simple Green followed by rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have found out from my own testing that EEZOX is a better lube than cleaner, now it does clean but is a mild cleaner, I have a Savage 10FLP for that long distance touch and since the beginning I only cleaned it with EEZOX now this weapon has only had match ammo pushed thru it and it's only been 300rnds now granted it's only a factory tube and has not been hand lapped or fire lapped to smooth it out but it's still top grade ammo.
After about 200rnds accuracy started to get above sub-moa groups and I had noticed some copper fouling near the crown now as I said this is not a hand lapped tube but the EEZOX did not remove it so I used Montana X-Treme to clean with and could not believe the crud that came out now of course when you use a aggressive bore cleaner such a Montanna X or Butch's Bore Shine you will remove the conditioning that the EEZOX has done kind of like washing a iron skiller after seasoning but the bore was clean and my accuracy returned now after the next 100rnds the fouling returned near the crown so again I cleaned it with the EEZOX and did not get a whole lot and then I cleaned with Montana X-Treme and it was filthy so then I cotntacted several high power shooters and ask for their input and they looked at the bore and suggested after cleaning with the Montana to clean with J-B Bore Cleaner and then follow of with J-B Bore Brite and then a light coating with the EEZOX and I have to say that there is a 100% improvement in the bore as far as roughness and three shot groups run around .4" @ 100yrds now I don't plan on useing the Bore paste often because I not to keen on the idea of useing abrasives in a piece used for accuracy but this has worked for me and once the bore has smoothed out I most likely will only use the EEZOX for the bore and will always use it on everything else because it's dry to the touch and does not seem to wear off easily and it does condition the areas it comes in contact with and when accuracy falls off I will get alittle more aggresive.
Sorry for rambling but all of this is just my opinion

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have both the spray and drop bottle. The drop bottle keeps the smell down a bit and puts more product in a precise spot, but I don't have a strong preference. I usually use both during a cleaning session.

Typically I break down the gun, usually spray inside the barrel (the drops give less thorough coverage) and boresnake or rod clean it followed by patches. I usually put drops via the drop bottle on a rag and Q-tip and clean up the rest of the gun. While I feel it is a good cleaning, I do clean my barrels with a true cleaner every so often (Hoppes) and give it a good scrubbing. For the XD that is usually it. For my stainless steel SIG, I also add some TW-25B to the rails for lubrication. I think I basically agree, that general CLP's work fine, but I like to get it really super clean every so often (copper fouling, etc.). Perhaps 3-5 Eezox cleanings then a Hoppe's detail cleaning. Again, I have to evidence the Eezox actually NEEDS the supplemental cleaning, it just gives me peace of mind!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't like the idea of Eezox in a spray can. I can't stand having my gun soaking with lube and the fumes floating around indoors.

I prefer using the bottle and using patches and rags to clean the inside & outside of the gun. I put Eezox where I want it and keep it away from the places it doesn't need to go (firing pin channel, painted sights, frame exterior, etc).

I clean the barrel by using a tight fitting patch soaked in Eezox to get the barrel wet.

Then a brass brush with more Eezox on it, then follow up with a couple more wet patches. Finish with a dry patch.

Of course you can substitute the word "CLP" for "Eezox" in the paragraphs above.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've been out of my Eezox sample for a while now. I've used Rem Oil on my XD9 and just today on my new AR15. When I cleaned the AR15 this afternoon, I cleaned the barrel with a bore snake and sprayed the upper and lower receivers with Rem Oil. I cleaned of the gunk and residue that was there and sprayed both the upper and lower again. I used my wife's hair dryer to dry the Rem Oil. I put the rifle back together and did some minor touch-ups with an old sock I always use for gun cleaning. I've done the same with my XD9 and Eezox when I had it. I need to buy some more - I love that stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts