Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to one of my questions, you said that you thought the extractor was a problem in guns having failures to extract.

What do you consider to be the problem with the XDs extractor? Tension? Engagement of rim?

Personally, I think I just need to put more rounds through mine to break it in, but would like to hear your theory.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
You would probably get a responce quicker if you sent him a PM, you asked a question of him in another thread today but I do not think he lives online, be patient.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I am not any expert on extractors, but trying to make sense out of all of the posts and my own measurements of several brands of brass, it seems that extractor tension may be the biggest cause. Much of this is based on one member adjusting the extractor tension as he would a 1911 (sorry, forgot the name and the old board is gone to search for the thread) and fixing his problem. The heavier extractor from the factory probably increased the extractor tension and so sort of masks the solution.
I found what I thought was some shallow rims on the Winchester white box bulk, but later when I found some dimensional tolerances for 9mm brass even the worst Winchester was within that tolerance. While they were the worst of the brands they were within spec so I can't fault them.
So even though the Springfield seems to be able to fix the problem I am not convinced they know the reason, or if they do they are not telling and helping us to sell their product. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say "the heavier extractor". Sorry, this is kind of confusing to me. Did Springfield change the extractor at some point? Or are they replacing extractors with different ones if people are having problems with extraction?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The HS2000 had a slightly smaller extractor and seemed to have quite a few extraction problems. Around the time Springfield took over importing they were coming with a heavier extractor (this would still be called the HS2000 for the rest of the world). Usually a good fix for the problem was swapping to the newer extractor. The problem did seem to continue in the XD line to a lessor extent, but it is not clear what was going on since Springfield sent out two replacement extractors to a forum member and one was the old design and one was the new design. So while we assume all of the new pistols have the latest extractor I don't know if that is a for sure thing.

Lately forum members have been quoting the report they get back from Springfield and they are using words to the effect that they may be re-tensioning the extractor instead of replacing, but again that is guessing.

Whatever they are doing it does work (usually) but since I am a fix it myself sort of person I still would like to know for sure what to do. But neither of my early HS2000s have the problem so I can't tinker.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I intend to take it to the range today, and if the problems continue, it's gone. There are too many good guns out there to mess with ones that commonly have to go back to the factory.

Yes, I have had other guns that had to go back to the factory, but they seemed to be anomolies, not regularly encountered problems.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
If it acted any different at the range today then I would worry. :shock: What have you done to make it change?

None of my three have a problem, so I think of yours as the anomoly! :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don said:
If it acted any different at the range today then I would worry. :shock: What have you done to make it change?

Wait, you'd worry if it DIDN'T have any FTEs? According to most here, breaking it in should be enough to "make it change".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, by the way, this is the second XD I've owned, the other was the same. I've been shooting for about 20 years and have had many, many handguns. The 2 XDs are among about 4 or 5 that I have ever had that gave me any reason to wonder about their reliability.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Breaking it in may help stovepipes, but I don't see it helping extracting from the chamber (unless there is friction on the extractor that would go away but don't seem right). But tell us what you find.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don said:

I don't mean this to be argumentative, just a serious question. In a previous thread you said that you believe the extractor to be the problem in the guns that are having extraction problems. Now you say it is an anomoly for an XD9 to have a failure to extract.

I guess a better description of what has occurred is in order. In my first XD, brass was left most of the way out of the chamber. In the one I have now, the empty brass was out of the chamber and sitting on top of a live round that couldn't chamber because the empty brass was in the way. I think either of these could be caused by a short-stroke as well as by an extractor problem. Opinions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I again say I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think you should make a comment like "it's the extractor causing the problem in the guns that are having extraction problems" without being willing to give your reasons why you believe this.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Not avoiding anything, I just didn't check the messages :oops: . Sorry.

I think that the vast majority of the pistols have no problems, and we will never read much about them on a forum. We will hear about the problem ones. The common failure that we hear about is extraction. Now come to think about it, the problem seems to only be in 9mm. The .40s have feed problems but not extraction (unless my epiphany is wrong :D ). So the common failure can be FTE and still be uncommon per capita.

When pistols go into SA for fixing, they comment that they either replace or tune the extractor and this fixes it almost every time. So I believe that the single extractor part is the problem (for brass left in the chamber). Short strokes would cause the stovepiping, but you should be able to check this by intentionally gripping hard, or having a few others shoot your pistol and see if the problem follows.

Revolver people sometimes have problems with the semi-auto since they often let the recoil happen in the wrist. If your experience is mostly revolvers then see if the solid wrist helps. Your FTE description sounds like it is halfway between so I don't know for sure.

There is another thread where the member shows a picture of the extractor on the brass, and I explained another of my theories there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don said:
Not avoiding anything, I just didn't check the messages :oops: . Sorry.

I think that the vast majority of the pistols have no problems, and we will never read much about them on a forum. We will hear about the problem ones. The common failure that we hear about is extraction. Now come to think about it, the problem seems to only be in 9mm. The .40s have feed problems but not extraction (unless my epiphany is wrong :D ). So the common failure can be FTE and still be uncommon per capita.

When pistols go into SA for fixing, they comment that they either replace or tune the extractor and this fixes it almost every time. So I believe that the single extractor part is the problem (for brass left in the chamber). Short strokes would cause the stovepiping, but you should be able to check this by intentionally gripping hard, or having a few others shoot your pistol and see if the problem follows.

Revolver people sometimes have problems with the semi-auto since they often let the recoil happen in the wrist. If your experience is mostly revolvers then see if the solid wrist helps. Your FTE description sounds like it is halfway between so I don't know for sure.

There is another thread where the member shows a picture of the extractor on the brass, and I explained another of my theories there.
Thanks, I really do appreciate the time taken by those more familiar with XDs to help the new owners. I know none of us live on line, and slow response time is one of the problems with a forum like this. Most of my experience is with autos, and I've probably shot more rounds through 1911s than anything. I currently have Sigs and have owned Berettas, Glocks, CZ, Ruger, S&W, etc. I saw the photo on the other thread and will have to see how my extractor grips rims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts