Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reloading 9mm for about a month now and have reloaded over 3000+ rounds. I am using a LNL AP press with Redding Carbide dies. My question is should I be concerned with stripping dies down and cleaning them? 9mm is the only caliber I am currently reloading so the dies have never left the press after I initially set them and locked them in.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
There is no reason to take pistol dies off for cleaning. The exception is if the casses start to get deformed when loading due to build-up of excess lube or dirt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
As long as your brass is clean, the dies should stay clean, too. I wouldn't worry about cleaning the dies unless you start to see slight evidence of damage/scraping to the cases after resizing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
You might need to clean them out periodically if you are using case lube, but otherwise I don't think the dies need to be cleaned under normal conditions.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If you're loading lead cast bullets you might consider removing the seater/crimper die and cleaning it. They tend to collect lube sometimes.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It's never a bad idea to clean the dies. case lube, tumbling media dust, bullet lube, even rust in humid climates. A solvent soaked patch, then dri patch works fine. I used to clean my dies once a year, now just whenever I get boared.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all thanks for the quick replies, it is much appreciated

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I occassionally clean them out with gun serubber, then after drying run a couple of passes with a bore snake.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since you have the L-N-L, you can remove your dies without changing their settings. You can get some build-up of brass shavings in your sizing die and expander die. Any good aerosol degreaser can be used to clean the inside of the dies.
In general, the only dies that would need "frequent" cleaning would be the seating and crimp dies it you are loading case bullets with too much lube on them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No cast bullets for me, all FMJ so no lube issues. Also I have carbide dies so no case lube either. I was more concerned with case shavings, or general dust/debris or possibly powder that somehow found its way into the dies. I realize I probably have not reloaded enough to be concerned yet but I was just thinking about the future.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Why in the world you you use case lube when using carbide dies for pistol rounds?
It's a waste of lube and time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why in the world you you use case lube when using carbide dies for pistol rounds?
It's a waste of lube and time.

Well its a good thing im NOT using case lube then.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a 550 and I personally clean my dies everytime I change calibers, basically after my run of a particular of a few thousand before I pull the pins to drop the tool head I clean the dies then the next time I am ready to go

1 - 16 of 16 Posts