Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking/planning my first AR build and understand that if I buy (the lower receiver at least) online that I must employ an FFL and subsequent fees (seems it's typically the same price as an entire rifle even though it's just one part).
I want to do a .223 carbine 1st, then I'd like to build a .308 2nd..... (2) rifles then.

So my question is: if I were to get both lowers at the same time from one source, (do you guys know) will I get charged FFL transfer (2) times?.... (Or can I actually save $50?)
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
So I'm thinking/planning my first AR build and understand that if I buy (the lower receiver at least) online that I must employ an FFL and subsequent fees (seems it's typically the same price as an entire rifle even though it's just one part).
I want to do a .223 carbine 1st, then I'd like to build a .308 2nd..... (2) rifles then.

So my question is: if I were to get both lowers at the same time from one source, (do you guys know) will I get charged FFL transfer (2) times?.... (Or can I actually save $50?)
Thanks!
You'd have to ask your FFL what they would charge. Mine is $35 for a transfer and background check per firearm up to 2. $70, i can transfer as many as i want at one time. As a matter of fact, I just bought a 'dealer pack' of 4 lowers. $149 for the lowers shipped and $70 to transfer all of them. other dealers near me charger as little as $20 per with no price break and some as much as $50 for each transfer with no price break.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
Ask the FFL holder in advanced how he'd do it.
There is no law that says a FFL has to charge you anything. When I picked up my lower, the FFL didn't charge me and gave me a couple of steaks too.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
I charge a $25 transfer fee per firearm, $10 for LEOs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My LGS charges $10 for as many that will fit on the one sheet, he told me since it's all on one sheet he doesnt feel it would be fair to charge more for a few lowers. My other shop is $25 and would prefer I didnt ship to him but rather pay him twice as much and he will order it. Some are rip-offs, some are not.

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
$25 or $35 is about "normal" here. One place is obviously in the "this cheapskate is costing me a sale" camp, and charges $50.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!
I think, in consideration of all your responses, that it'll be "per firearm"... if not for everybody (somebody got bulk rate for 7 I thought I read), but at least for me since I'm only going to be getting two....maybe.
(If it per fire arm any no rush to get both same time; no savings).
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have gotten a box of lowers from PSA, and one of my local FFLs charged me one transfer fee the first time. The second time I did it, they wanted to charge me per lower, until I reminded them of the previous transaction. Since then, I have switched to another FFL dealer, and they will do as many items as will fit on one ATF form, lowers, handguns, or long guns.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My ffl does 15 for one or 25 for two. Ask around, cheapest and closest is how I choose. But I stick with my current guy. He still charged me 15 during the panic when black weapons armory was charging 30 or more. Opportunistic swines.

·
Registered
414 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts