Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going on a duck hunt tommrow and i am shooting a benelli nova. i have three chokes with it, a full, modified, and an improved cylender. the full says no steal shot but the others are ok. my question is which one is better for duck hunting (maybe some geese too, hopefully)?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Are you going to be field hunting or puddle jumping, What size shot?. In my O/U Winchester I run I/C under Mod, For close pass shooting over decoys I use IC for field shooting Mod. 3 shot steel is my go to load but with geese in the picture 2 shot 3"mag. If you have not shot 3 1/2" out of the NOVA save yourself some pain and bypass them all together. BRUTAL:evil:

·
Registered
530 Posts
depends where and how you are hunting. When in wet lands you should always use non toxic shot (no lead). Steel shot is harder and lighter so it will pattern tighter, but does not have the distance that lead shot would have. I shoot steel shot out of a full choke most of the time for ducks and geese. I use BB shot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll be in a flooded rice field shooting some 2 shot 3" shells. i learned my lesson with the 3 1/2"(i cryed for a week). if the geese come in good i might step up to 3 1/2".

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
i'll be in a flooded rice field shooting some 2 shot 3" shells. i learned my lesson with the 3 1/2"(i cryed for a week). if the geese come in good i might step up to 3 1/2".
I'd run the Mod tube for that kind of shooting. I'm jealous by the way our hunting area froze over just as the Mallards were starting to show up.:sad: No need for the pain givers 3" will work fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish it was a bit colder it is like 70 dreeges right now and the misqueots will probly be bad out there. there thing i hate about south east texas is it is hot right now but last week it snowed.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I use a modified choke in my Beretta 303 for ducks and geese and it will do fine. If you're over decoys and the ducks will be coming in close, you can get away with an IC choke.

3 inch shells are not necesary with ducks. I kill them with 2 3/4" #2 steels most of the time. Geese? I like 3" BBBs and yes..they're not easy on the shoulder but will take down the higher flying snow and speckle-bellys pretty well.

Remember that steel patterns pretty tightly and even with a modified choke...it will pattern tighter than lead shot run through the same gun/choke.

Good luck and have fun...Saturday looks to be a tad warm, but maybe Sunday's front might mean very good hunting in that area.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Well report please how many dead and in the pan???????????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts