Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm 25 and I have my carry permit. I know that you have to be 21 to own a handgun. I left my gf's house the other night and I forgot my bug gun on the wall unit. Is there any legal problems with this if she had to use the gun that night to protect herself? She's only 20 and lives alone in her own home. My second thing is this. In Florida you gotta be 21 to own a handgun. You can however receive on as a gift from your parents or legal guardian if your at least 18. Being that she own's her own home and doesn't live with her parents anymore. Would I be able to buy her one, or do her parents still have to give it to her as a "gift"?

This may not be the right place for this. Feel free to move it if need be.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I sure can't give you any legal advice. Are you worried about her safety when she is alone? How about a 12 ga. riot shotgun? Can she legally own one of these since it is not a handgun?

Buy her a Mossberg 500 12 ga. Get her a handgun when she turns 21.

Or............give her parents the money to buy her a gun, then have them buy it and gift it to her. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Depending on state law you can purchase a handgun through a private sale. No one under 21 can go through an FFL. If she meets all the state requirements for owning a handgun there should not be a problem. You can also buy her a handgun, through an FFL, if it is given as a gift (and state laws are followed).

IANAL, YMMV, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts