Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am the proud new owner of two beautiful Springfield weapons. A 1911a1 Loaded and an XDm compact 9mm. I bought these two guns within a week of each other and I couldn't be happier. With my introduction out of the way, let me get down to business.

I was at the range with my XDm and it shot wonderfully right out of the box. However, I noticed that it was ejecting some of the spent shells directly back into my head. This didn't happen every time but enough to bother me. Imagine trying to perform pistol drills and line up sequential shots and have shells hitting you in your forehead. It wasn't horrible but it messed with my concentration. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this something that goes away as the gun breaks in? (More information: I am 5'10 185 pounds and I shoot from a "weaver" stance It was at an outdoor range but there was no wind that day. I was shooting between 7 and 15 yards).

Now my warning: The first day I had my XDm at the range I used the holster that game came with. I put the gun in the holster to reload and after I pulled it out I noticed the stock holster scratch my BRAND NEW slide. I was so mad :evil: I only had 10 or so rounds through this gun and it was already scratched. I brought the gun home and cleaned it and tried to buff the scratch out with hoppes oil to no avail :( Long story short, I won't be using that holster any more.

Best,

LawMan

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have eleven XD's and XDm's. None of them throw brass into my face. I had another brand that did that continually. Sent it back to manufacturer, they sent me a new pistol saying on the return slip that the pistol I sent in was "beyond repair". Surprised me. If I were you, I would call SA to make sure they pay postage and send the pistol to them. No way can you put up with casings flying into your face. It sucks to have to send your pistol in, but it's the best thing to do. Can't say anything about the scratch from the holster as none of mine have done that, even though other people here say theirs have.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Bet you do not have a scratched pistol. The much softer holster material rubbed off on the matte finish of the pistol. Like chalk on a chalkboard. Should rub out with most gun cleaning solvents and oil wipe. The surface finish over the melonite will also show marks from rivets on jeans and finger rings. Normally these are the same and will clean off. Some very hard ring materials can scratch the color finish, but not through the melonite treatment. Is this a safe queen and display pistol or a tool you use?

Eventually, a holster can put some wear marks on the finish. That is long into use and mostly due to gritty dust getting between the gun and holster with a lot of use. Still only surface finish color wear on the higher contact spots. The melonite treatment is still present.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
There is a 99.9999999999% chance that the gun is NOT scratched. The coating on the gun is way harder than the plastic holster. Material from the holster has transferred to the gun. Clean the gun and the "scratch" will be gone.

My xdm flings brass way off to the right. If it's coming back at you, is there a chance that you are breaking your wrist down and angling the ejection port towards yourself? That would be pretty uncommon and probably difficult to do, but still slightly possible. Take off the slide and inspect the ejector for any signs of damage. It might be broken or bent. Easy to replace. You didn't by chance drop the gun with the slide off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my original post I specifically said I tried cleaning the scratch with Hoppes solvent and hoppes oil to no avail. As anal as I am I buffed the sh*t out of it...Believe me the gun is scratched and the holster did it.

This gun is not a safe queen, but I still don't want it scratched unnecessarily.

The gun was never dropped and I am not breaking my wrist as mentioned. It doesn't happen all the time but does happen. Hopefully it will resolve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was at the range with my XDm as mentioned the gun threw brass into my face and it also did it to my girlfriend as well. Assuming I was breaking my wrist, (which i'm not) the chances of two people breaking their wrists is very unlikely!!

Sorry for the double post but I figured this information was helpful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Let's see a picture of this scratch. I'm curious as to how a plastic (soft) holster scratched a melonite coating (hard).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have eleven XD's and XDm's. None of them throw brass into my face. I had another brand that did that continually. Sent it back to manufacturer, they sent me a new pistol saying on the return slip that the pistol I sent in was "beyond repair". Surprised me. If I were you, I would call SA to make sure they pay postage and send the pistol to them. No way can you put up with casings flying into your face. It sucks to have to send your pistol in, but it's the best thing to do. Can't say anything about the scratch from the holster as none of mine have done that, even though other people here say theirs have.
Not to start a war, but could you tell me what manufacturer threw brass in your face? I have just purchased a used Glock 19 and have gotten dinged twice since I have had it. My XD9SC has never done this. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I would suspect your grip in the brass on head thing. I've seen it when using a loose grip.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not to start a war, but could you tell me what manufacturer threw brass in your face? I have just purchased a used Glock 19 and have gotten dinged twice since I have had it. My XD9SC has never done this. Just curious.
It was one of the first Steyr M40's. They sent me a new one with their improved trigger works and it is a very nice pistol now. Of course, they have an improved new model now. Customer service was great.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
This is why I wear a hat when I shoot with my eye protection. I don't want spent hot brass getting between my eye balls and glasses. :shock:

Also, my girlfriend made the mistake of wearing a tank top. Booby cleavage and everything. Yup, singed booby from spent brass that bounced off the lane divider. But it was kinda funny. She had the presence of mind to make sure she dropped the mag and opened the action with the pistol muzzle down range before she fished it out. Haha!

Usually it's from the spent cases bouncing off the lane divider. I nor my girl have ever had a spent case eject straight back with our XDs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had several bounce off the lane divider and land right in the pocket of my clavical and neck. That kinda sucks. The singed boobies would suck worse though. Good for her clearing the gun before addressing the issue!

Several have hit me on the head, also from the lane divider. It would be totally unacceptable for ejection straight back from the gun.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The black finish on the XD's is very fragile. I holstered my gun only about 5 times before the finish had worn off in places. And I have two scratches that I have no idea where they came from that cannot be removed. It's just like a car - it's paint over steel. When you scratch it or wear it down, you can see the silver steel underneath. Is the melonite protective coating still there? - yes. Does that matter? - no. You can still see the scratch, and nothing can fix short of refinishing the entire slide. The black finish is not some sort of hard coating like chrome or something. It just seems like industrial paint to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The black finish on the XD's is very fragile. I holstered my gun only about 5 times before the finish had worn off in places. And I have two scratches that I have no idea where they came from that cannot be removed. It's just like a car - it's paint over steel. When you scratch it or wear it down, you can see the silver steel underneath. Is the melonite protective coating still there? - yes. Does that matter? - no. You can still see the scratch, and nothing can fix short of refinishing the entire slide. The black finish is not some sort of hard coating like chrome or something. It just seems like industrial paint to me.

My thoughts exactly. The scratch is there...what is done is done. I'll live with it.

I'm going to head to the range this weekend and if it kicks brass back into my face again I believe I'm going to contact SA and see what they can do to fix this issue. Although I hate to lose my gun for so long as its brand new. Hopefully if it comes to that they will fix it. I've heard nothing but good things about SA's customer service. Just to point out, I was at an outdoor range with no gun lanes at all and there was absolutely nothing for the brass to bounce off of.

In regard to the scratch is this something I can have SA fix if I have to send my gun back to them? Like I'll pay for the scratch to be fixed and they can foot the cost of fixing my brass ejection issue??

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The scratch is there...what is done is done. I'll live with it.

I'm going to head to the range this weekend and if it kicks brass back into my face again I believe I'm going to contact SA and see what they can do to fix this issue. Although I hate to lose my gun for so long as its brand new. Hopefully if it comes to that they will fix it. I've heard nothing but good things about SA's customer service. Just to point out, I was at an outdoor range with no gun lanes at all and there was absolutely nothing for the brass to bounce off of.

In regard to the scratch is this something I can have SA fix if I have to send my gun back to them? Like I'll pay for the scratch to be fixed and they can foot the cost of fixing my brass ejection issue??
They will refinish your slide, it will not be exactly the same, some say its better, some say its worse.

Either way, tell them you are disappointed that it scratched from the holster and they may do kt for free, if not they can quote you a price.

IMHO, if you are going to have it refinished, cerakote or ion bond is best.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It should be pretty hard to scratch. The mineral melonite is soft but the finishes are supposed to be like chrome. Something harder than the melonite must have contact with it. The holster would not do something like that being softer than the finish. It's physically impossible.

Read up:

Melonite finish Q: - THR
The finishes are not like chrome. The finish on the edge of my slide wore off in one area by only holstering it about 5 times in my Blackhawk holster. This idea that the black finish is some hard, scratch and wear resistant finish is a myth. It simply isn't. If the slide is dipped in some chemical, bonded process, it will be a bit stronger. But if it's sprayed on, I don't care what it's called, it's simply a fancy word for paint. Might be tough, thick paint, but it's still paint. And paint can scratch.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The black finish is not the melonite treatment. Melonite is a metal treatment not a "finish". Melonite treatment (nitrate salt bath) is a treatment to the underlying metal that is several microns deep and makes the metal harder than chrome and more rust resistant.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So why would gun manufacturers put it on their guns especially if it's softer than their holsters? That makes no sense. I can tell you that both my XD and my XDM have been through hell and the only scratch is a small one that was my fault when I was cleaning it and the end of that stupid SA supplied brush came in contact with the slide. Everything else has held up well and "buffed" out nicely. Maybe your coatings are thinner than mine...who knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe your coatings are thinner than mine...who knows.
Maybe that's the case...if I scratched the gun or dropped the gun I would admit it.

The point of my post was to send a warning out to others...the stock holster may scratch your gun. Both the mag pouches and the holster have allen wrench "tensioners"...perhaps my holster was tensioned to a greater degree than most and that caused the scratch. I'll be honest I didn't check it before I holstered my weapon. All I know is that I holstered my XDm for the first time and it came out with that scratch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts