Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have been reading these forums for 3 days trying to get a feel for how it is around here. I like what I see a lot.

5 days ago, I went to the local gun shop to try to find a SA 1911. They did not have one in stock. In order to get my business he pushed into my hand a XD-40 V-10.... and the angels sang. I fell in love with it the moment that I saw it. I have been out of the loop for a while in terms of knowing the new toys on the market. I promptly made my impulse buy and put 450 of the 600 down on the pistol... Now, about 100 of that is non-refundable.

I came home that day from work, as I went on my lunch to blow a christmas bonus I got the previous night, and I got on youtube, and google and started reading and watching reviews. It seems that I hit the nail on the head for trying to buy a solid peice. I am too excited and I cant wait until this thursday when I go and pick it up.

And then, I downloaded the manual from the SA site. It told me that some versions have a thumb safety. I did a search on these forums and after reading a bit, I am thinking they only come on the .45? Can they be added to the .40?

--Disclaimer follows--
Before I get flamed:shock:, as I saw in the 5 other posts I saw on this subject, I want you to know, I am not a idiot, I know how to use a firearm. I know how to use them safely. I know they dont go off unless you pull the trigger. I dont care if you have one, or want one, unless you added it to a XD40 after the sale. I realize that it is not necessary, and the common theme is it "is one more step to mess up under duress". However, I have been firing 1911's all my life. I own 1 now, but it is put away as it was given to me in a will. I own a 357 blackhawk, that also is about to be put away. This XD will be my main weapon. I have never owned a hammer-less (not visible) weapon before, I just want the thumb lever.

The reason for the disclaimer, is of all the reading I have done, people got a little agressive debating this subject. Its user preference is all I am trying to say, and I just need some good advice on how to get one. I might be able to talk this guy into transfering the money into the .45 if I am lucky, but on the other hand, I will probably just buy it as I am the impatient type, and he has no XD45's in stock.

Thanks in advance, and this forum is awesome, you guys are very knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I had an XD45ACP Tactical without the Thumb Safety. Saw the Tactical with the Thumb Safety and wanted one. I asked the same question in an email to Springfield Armory. Their reply was......."Adding a Thumb Safety to an existing pistol is unfortunately not an option." So no, they can't be added to an existing pistol. Ended up trading the one without a TS for one with a TS.

And you are correct in the fact that right now, only the 45ACP Service Model and Tactical model are available with the TS, and it is an option. You can get either pistol with or without the TS.

And yes, it is user preference. I prefer my semi-autos to have the Thumb Safety. Grew up with a 1911 and a Browning Hi-Power. Still have both and am used to Thumb Safeties. Are they needed on an XD? No. But like you said, it is personal preference. To each his own.

And...............welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love the thumb safety, as it makes the XD feel and act just like my 1911s. Not to mention the added safety factor.

I had to special order mine as well, not many people keep them on the shelves.

All that aside...I'm not a fan of the .40 round, and definitely not a fan of the ported XDs. More flash, more noise and not much benefit. They definitely look sweet, but not a big concern when buying a firearm IMO.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As mentioned above, you may want to get a non ported barrel for it if you plan on using it for self defense. The muzzle flash from a ported barrel in a low light situation will be much worse with the ported barrel, which will affect your ability to make a quick follow up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome to XD Talk :D

I have seen that a thumb safety can be added to Glocks, so I suppose that it's a possibility that an enterprising gunsmith could add one to an XD. It didn't look very good on the Glock though (if that matters to you) so if it were possible it might well ruin the aesthetics of your XD.

That being said, and having read your disclaimer, you simply have the wrong pistol if you want a thumb safety. Perhaps you can learn to appreciate and accept it for what it is, an impecably designed battle pistol that does exactly what it's creators intended.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
like everybody has said, no you cant add one. now maybe in the future a gunsmith "might" be able to but i dpersonally dont see it happening, and like has been said a non prorted barrel would be a good idea for self defense

enjoy your new toy! and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
181 Posts
:) Welcome aboard:

I've already had my comeuppance here on the thumb safety question and don't need to hear it again.

I have two XD's: a XD .45 SC w/ thumb safety and a XD 9 SC w/o thumb safety. Mrs. Oldgringo and I (both Texas CHL's) were having handgun refresher drills at the kitchen table this past week. When I went over the differences between the XD's and the 1911's she said, flat out, get rid of the lovely, very easily carried XD 9 SC. I haven't yet and may not, but she won't carry it although it was bought for her. She prefers her S&W 638 - day and night.

FWIW, I'm more comfortable carrying the XD .45 w/ Thumb Safety and really really wish the XD 9 SC had one and/or the XD .45 Compact came with one.

Our 2¢ worth on the subject. Good luck and God Bless.

·
Registered
460 Posts
5 days ago, I went to the local gun shop to try to find a SA 1911. They did not have one in stock. In order to get my business he pushed into my hand a XD-40 V-10.... and the angels sang. I fell in love with it the moment that I saw it. I have been out of the loop for a while in terms of knowing the new toys on the market. I promptly made my impulse buy and put 450 of the 600 down on the pistol... Now, about 100 of that is non-refundable.
Disclaimer - this is not an anti-thumb safety post. ;)

Did he let you fire it on the range? If not, once you get it out there you'll find that not having a thumb safety isnt going to make you think about forgoing the $100 non-refundable deposite.

The first automatic pistol i fired had one (Colt 1911a), most of the ACP's i trained on had them, and then i got my XD earlier this year. Now i find myself (at least at the range) almost ignoring my thumb saftey - at least until it comes time to re-holster or setting my gun down loaded.

A final parting thought as a michigan CPL holder - My other pistol has a thumb safety. It's SIFNIFICANTLY smaller than my XD-40 (walther p22) and i find that the thumb safety can sometimes actually be a bit uncomfortable for me when i'm carrying it because of how it stands off the frame. The same goes for the back of the hammer sometimes poking me (depending on the angle of carry). Even forgetting the caliber issue, my XD is my daily carry weapon in all but the hottest of weather because its more COMFORTABLE to conceal even though its a bigger, thicker weapon.

Just my $0.02 USD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the good responses... I think I am going to go ahead and get it then. As far as the ported barrel, I love it!! =)

Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
They don't make a bad XD. I think you will love it!

I avoided the porting because I carry my XD and many times at night. I have done some night fire training and already can't see the front sight after half a magazine. Thats ok, though, most self defense shooting is point shooting anyway. I was able to put every round from two mags inside a 10 inch circle at 21 feet in a fairly dark range (with a police cruiser light bar going crazy behind me) in just a few seconds, the XD is just a joy to shoot, and I like the consistent feel and controls across all models. As for the thumb safety, you will be comfortable with what you practice. I have a very solid handling routine that uses the grip safety to maintain a safe weapon while holstering, etc. I would not want to covert to a thumb safety now that I am used to not having it, but if thats what you train with, it will work too.

Enjoy your new XD, whichever one you end up with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts