Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to handguns in general, and to the boards, and was just wondering if anyone could answer a question I have.

I want to purchase a .40 Caliber Springfield XD Service Model when I turn 21 in a few weeks, but I need some advice.

Ive read around a lot, and found a lot of information on these guns, and held one at the range (not yet fired one though) and I fell in love with it once I had it in my hands. Ive read about the whole slide problem, and have decided that the Stainless Steel slide might be a good idea. I was also reading around, and decided that the Ported Barrel model would be a good investment.

Now heres my question: I have not seen a Ported Barrel model with the stainless steel slide. Do they exist? If not, which would everyone prefer? The Stainless Steel slide, or a Ported Barrel? Id like to have an XD with both, but I dont think they make them. Is there anyway to polish a slide from a Ported Barrel model? If so, how much would this cost?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It depends what you want... If you just want a plinker.. you can knock down a bowling pin from 15 yards no problemo'!!! (ask TASF... He's a pretty good shot!!) I don't think a ported barrel is much help myselsf.. but I am not a very good shot. I am doing good to hit COM at 15 yards.. that's good enough for me....'

Raymond

·
Registered
889 Posts
I wouldn't get the ported one either, the XD dosen't have that much recoil to start with, and I don't think a ported barrel has any real advantage unless you'er shooting something like a .357 mag, .44 mag, or an IPSC open gun. I'm just not real crazy having flames shooting up in front of my face, especially in low light, or no light shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Stainless slide = good choice
Ported gun = most of what I remember on posts on this site is that they would do without if they were doing it over.

Happy 21st!

·
Registered
133 Posts
you don't need ported. stainless doesn't look very "tactical" if youre concerned about the finish, get the black, give it time, then if you want it finished with something else, get it done.

·
Registered
539 Posts
go for the bitone! i have one and love it. Never had any issues with finish.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you are looking to use this as a carry gun, do not get it ported. If it will be a fun at the range gun, then get it ported!! I certainly have noticed a significant difference between the two.

I say don't carry a ported because a trainer will train you to fire while the gun is directly at your side as soon as it comes out of the holster, and if your firearm has a ported barrel... then um... your side will be scorched. Uh maybe big problems! :lol:

Just my 22 pesos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys. I guess im going to go with the Non Ported Stainless Steel model. Anyone know how much extra the SS model costs? How much extra is it to get Hi-Cap Magazines with it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I for one do not understand why Glock or Springfield ports their factory guns. Not much use in my opinion unless your shooting an Open gun in USPSA. I suppose there are some people that want it for reasons I dont understand. Get the non-ported version and you will get much more use out of your pistol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think I paid an extra $20.00 for my bi-tone.

I prefer the look of the bi-tone, but it will still rust. I didn't have any problems for about the first 6 months, and ever since I have been dealing with finish rust.

My recomendation would be to buy the blued and then have it coated once you get tired of black or possible rust issues. There are a couple of guys on this forum that offer such services. I think I'm correct in saying you can't gun coat a stainless slide. Ajames could correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, R/T Performance owns all three. Coated, Stainless, and Blued. Try asking him to see if he has a preferance.

Here are a couple links:
www.xd-hs2000.com
www.canyon-creek.com

Hope I was of some help. Whichever way you go, enjoy your new XD.

Josh

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
**** the bi-tones. They rust just as often as the bruniral slides do.

I'd save the extra money the bi-tone would cost and use it towards a new finish right off the bat. James will do a clear coat on the black slide for like $25.

If I were to do it all over again, that is what I'd do.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I emailed Canyon Creek last night and am wrong about Gun Kote on a stainless slide. You can have a stainless slide coated. Check out Old Shool's website for colors available.

www.pistolgear.com

Josh

·
Registered
889 Posts
kevinpagano said:
I for one do not understand why Glock or Springfield ports their factory guns. Not much use in my opinion unless your shooting an Open gun in USPSA. I suppose there are some people that want it for reasons I dont understand. Get the non-ported version and you will get much more use out of your pistol.
That's because when all the Glock jockys, and XD fans have one of every model, and when sales start to dip they put out a ported barrel model out in each size, then when the sales start to level off they come out with an OD frame model.
Have you seen the Desert Camo Pattern Glocks yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts