Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not quite sure where to post this but since I have an XD9SC I'll put it here. sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

So my buddy and I went to the range the other day and we both forgot to bring something to attach targets to. Neither of us had been to this range before and thought they would have backdrops set up. Anyway there happened to be wooden shelving unit someone left and we stood it on end and used that.

Some other people out there had what looked like metal yard sign holders you see with for sale signs and cardboard backdrops attached then the targets affixed to that.

I was thinking about this for next time myself but then got to thinking about safety. I assume it actually wouldn't be the best thing to use in case of errant misses that could then ricochet randomly.

So my main question is what would be a good way to set up targets at the range. The range doesn't allow metal backdrops to put targets on but I'm not entirely sure if the range rules said anything about metal spinners.

What are your ideas there folks.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
At our club there would be a problem. Shooting up anything is a no no. There are cable/electric rolls there for tables and occasionally someone will use them to hold targets. That is reason to be dismissed from the club.
Be a responsible club member and assemble targets to take along with you in the future. Make sure that they can be set up so ALL bullets impact the berm. Make them easily repairable too, even good shooters can have a errant round occasionally.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Here's a link to an inexpensive do it yourself project: Educational Zone #24 - Homemade Target Stand - Page 1
This is pretty much what I did.

My modifications:

• Fill open ends of legs w/ sand for weight
  • Made uprights taller and put screws through so that
    1. The target height is at about 6'. I can put a target at the "head" position and one at center mass
    2. Height is so that I can simply grab an 8' 1x2 and cut it in half at 4' to get the above height
  • I have a 45 degree angle for shooting on hills
  • I tied the center piece and angles above to one side so you can't accidentally forget this major component. (Lesson learned)
  • Finally, got some crosses to put at the top of the uprights and drilled some holes in some plywood to make a little shelf for shooting jugs and such.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At our club there would be a problem. Shooting up anything is a no no. There are cable/electric rolls there for tables and occasionally someone will use them to hold targets. That is reason to be dismissed from the club.
Be a responsible club member and assemble targets to take along with you in the future. Make sure that they can be set up so ALL bullets impact the berm. Make them easily repairable too, even good shooters can have a errant round occasionally.
I figured this would be most places. This is a public range maintained by the DNR. The item we were using at this time was a cheap wooden shelving unit someone had left there and already had plenty of holes in it. It was the type that you can get at walmart for like $20 cheap lightweight pressed wood that ammo can easily pass through.

I do see what you mean though. I plan on making a few of the PVC stands and using them for next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts