Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rented a Sig p226 the other day and while shooting it I could feel the slide moving back and forth while ejecting the casing and reloading. I am wondering if this is normal with Sigs or if maybe something was wrong with this gun. It is hard to explain, but almost felt like the slide was moving too slow, therefore you could feel it moving more. My XD felt much tighter and I can't feel the slide moving while shooting. Thanks for the help, and sorry if this question seems dumb. :)

Brent

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Rental guns are literally shot to submission.

I've rented guns that couldn't hit the paper from 15' because they were so worn out.

Sigs are one of the highest quality handguns made.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
i know exactly the feeling your talking about.. the Baby Eagle .45 does the same thing. for a sig, i wouldnt expect it, it just might need new springs, and a good cleaning though.

cheers

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would agree with the suggestions of a dirty gun and a weak recoil spring, making the return to battery slow. Combine that with some filthy, gritty rails and you've got one nasty shooting handgun.

I've not experienced that with any SIG, ever, and I've shot several examples of the entire classic P series.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i agree with the above also one other thing the recoil spring on XD's tend to seem to me at leasta bit more stout than other guns .

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have many of them. My XD's will runs loads that are to lite to run in a SIG. The slide is heavy on a SIG so is the spring,

Thanks,Keith

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree with the others above who said it could be a dirty gun with worn springs. Also, the P226 is a full-sized pistol, probably negating a bit of recoil.

But I'd also say that with a heavier frame the slide action will seem a little softer, like the recoil and cycling of the slide is kind of "absorbed" better than in polymer framed pistols.

That's the feeling I get when shooting my P229, but that's an even heavier gun since the slide is forged instead of stamped, so that 'shock absorber' sensation is even more pronounced IMO. It almost feels like the slide is moving slower, tho I don't think it really is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know that I am not crazy and that others have experienced this. I have always wanted a Sig, but being the first one I have shot it kind of scared me. So I am assuming that a new clean Sig will not have this same feeling?

Thanks again for all the help.

Brent

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I am betting that the gun is dirty and has a lazy recoil spring.

My 3 SIGs don't seem to cycle any differently than my 1911s, Hi-Power of XD40...really.

Did it jam? Probably not...the P226 is known for being a very reliable pistol. Hell, its still shooting with all that gunk and a weak spring that makes it cycle slowly...gotta love that kind of reliability.

If you ever shoot a P226 that is not a filthy worn out range beater...you'll probably like it. The P226 is next on my list. I have its little brothers the P228 and P225 and love them. I also have its 45 cousin, the P220.

The 9mm P226 is one fine pistol...the Navy SEALs and British SAS carry it for a reason.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
992 Posts
I agree, don't give up on the 226, especially not a pre-rail model! I recently scored this gently used, German made one from '99 and I'm loving it. It's going to be my new "range beater." I nabbed it for $450 and aside from some holster wear on the high points, it is in great shape (appears to have less than 1K rounds through it).

Like every other full capacity firearm, the problem these days is getting quality mags at a reasonable price. You really have to watch suppliers like a hawk and buy without hesitation, otherwise you'll be left empty handed. here she is pictured with a Mec-Gar 18 round, flush fitting mag. It's hard to argue with that kind of firepower! :eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the p226 did jam... actually from about the 50 rounds we shot through it it probably jammed at least 1/2 of the time. We finally stopped shooting it because on the last clip it jammed after every shot - ftf.

I am going to rent a p229 next time I go to the range (next week) and see if it handles any differently. My next gun was going to be a Sig, but I am leaning towards a H&K USPc now (also rented when rented Sig and it shot amazing).

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
335 Posts
SIG's and if I had a 100.00 dollars for every time I had a jam I would still be broke. Weak ammo will jam one. I only shoot my reloads,

Thanks,Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts