Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an unexpected situation come up and need to get rid of one XDm 9mm 4.5 black with extras. I was curious of what the law is for me doing so? I'm from Illinois. I know there is a 72hr wait period after purchase. Have to ship to a FFL dealer. Do I ship it or do I take it to a FFL dealer? Or is all of this wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just follow your states laws to cover your butt... I'm in Ohio and legally all we need is a FTF transaction and sign off on the original sales document make copies and done!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You probably need to take it to and FFL and have it shipped to an FFL.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would suggest taking it to your local FFL & let him do what he does everyday for a living. Sometimes even when it's perfectly legal, UPS refuses to ship firearms for a civilian.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just as an FYI...

In OH you need nothing for a face to face transaction between non-FFL's. You cannot knowingly sell to someone who is prohibited but there is no need for any type of paperwork. No original sales reciept, no copies of anything, etc....

That being said if you want the paper trail by all means go to the FFL.

Beentown

·
Registered
292 Posts
As far as laws go you cannot use the US postal service unless you are an ffl and I would not recommend it. You need to send it so you know were it is all the time (or something like that) so it is easiest to use fedex overnight. I am unsure of your state laws but it is legal federally to send to an ffl you need to contact them and see what they want. Many won't do transfers and others want you to send a copy of your drivers license (ID).

·
Registered
518 Posts
As for a local private sale, your FOID card states that you must keep a record of the transaction for 7 years. I doubt that this is common practice between folks that know each other. I think a log form of tracking your weapons and sales of is a good idea though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts