Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may sound like an ignorant hick here, but what are the origins of the often-used (frequently misused imho) term 'salt rifle'?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
never heard it.
how do people use it?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
For sake of you not feeling like you are being ignored, I am posting here, but I really have no answer to your question. I'm kinda curious when and where exactly this was started.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will admit that not too long ago I did assault a full 1 gallon water jug at about 50yds a round of M193 (it exploded making a rather impressive sight and nice display of energy transfer).

But since the 'AR' in AR-15 means Armalite, wtf?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Salt rifles.:confused: Do they fire salt, are they made of salt....or are used to obtain it?

Very confusing. :p

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
If I recall correctly, this term came from Mine Owners using a shotgun to "Salt" a mine with gold prior to trying to sell it. This was taking a shotgun and firing gold into the walls of the mine before a prospective buyer came through to make them think it was a richer piece of property.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I may sound like an ignorant hick here, but what are the origins of the often-used (frequently misused imho) term 'salt rifle'?
I've heard of replacing the lead in shotgun shells with rocksalt for use on the boys that keep trying to get at our daughters. Probably some idiot anti-gun reporter got confused on that.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I have heard one of my Georgia buddies say,
"I need to get me one o' them uh salt rifles"

I would guess he was talking about something else and the accent was the issue.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts

But since the 'AR' in AR-15 means Armalite, wtf?
why "wtf?" when Stoner created the rifle, I believe he was working for Armalite. It's normal to do things like that, the company that I work for names our proprietary software by placing the first 3 letters of our company on it followed by version numbers. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I have no beef with Eugene Stoner or Armalite, but am curious to know who coined the term 'As*ault Rifle' and if it had anything to do with said party/parties not knowing AR means 'Armalite'. (Hence my wtf.)

why "wtf?" when Stoner created the rifle, I believe he was working for Armalite. It's normal to do things like that, the company that I work for names our proprietary software by placing the first 3 letters of our company on it followed by version numbers. :)

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I have no beef with Eugene Stoner or Armalite, but am curious to know who coined the term 'As*ault Rifle' and if it had anything to do with said party/parties not knowing AR means 'Armalite'. (Hence my wtf.)
that would be one Adolph Hitler. On the then new MP 44 also called the StG 44. The Worlds first Assault Rifle (or Sturmgewehr) And the best weapon of the WW2 era. The assault rifle by definition fires an intermediate size cartridge from a box magazine and is select-fire.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
just read up on an article that talks about Browning using salt to dry walnut blanks for their stocks back in the 60's. Once the stocks were finished and attached to the firearms, it would cause massive rust issues. No idea if this is related.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If I recall correctly, this term came from Mine Owners using a shotgun to "Salt" a mine with gold prior to trying to sell it. This was taking a shotgun and firing gold into the walls of the mine before a prospective buyer came through to make them think it was a richer piece of property.
For what it is worth- I'm a geologist working in the industry now and this didn't stop at the turn of the century.

·
Registered
127 Posts
that would be one Adolph Hitler. On the then new MP 44 also called the StG 44. The Worlds first Assault Rifle (or Sturmgewehr) And the best weapon of the WW2 era. The assault rifle by definition fires an intermediate size cartridge from a box magazine and is select-fire.
Good to see another history buff on the board. This is also the rifle and cartridge that Mr. Kalshnikov used as the starting point for the AK-47

It's amazing how many German WWII weapon designs are still relevant today. I know the NATO M60 light machine gun is based on the MG42, which at 66 years old featured quick change barrels and a 1,200 to 1,500 RPM rate of fire. These things so terrified allied solders that they had to give them psychological training on how to face and defeat them...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I thought Kalshnikov said he did NOT use the MP44 as his basis for the AK47? I thought he said he built it ground up?

On another note, I bet that hand guard gets hotter than hell lol. They must have issued a glove with each rifle =)

I think the MP44 would be the pinnacle of my gun collection if I could ever afford/legally get one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought Kalshnikov said he did NOT use the MP44 as his basis for the AK47? I thought he said he built it ground up?
You are correct that he "said" he didn't use it, but there was Soviet pride and secrecy in play on this one. They know that Russians coveted the MP44 and brought some back for study. The consensus is that there are too many coincidental similarities, especially in the cartridge design for Kalishnikov to be telling the truth about that...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

a-salt rifle

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
wtf are you talking about? seriously, are you asking where/how the slang term (never herd of it btw) "salt rifle" came about? or are you trying to make a connection between the AR in say an AR15 and the term Assualt Rifle? OR are you just asking where the term Assualt Rifle orginated??

none of your posts have made any sense at all.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
wtf are you talking about? seriously, are you asking where/how the slang term (never herd of it btw) "salt rifle" came about? or are you trying to make a connection between the AR in say an AR15 and the term Assualt Rifle? OR are you just asking where the term Assualt Rifle orginated??

none of your posts have made any sense at all.
I think you need to take a long walk and some deep breaths.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts