Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm bored so I decide to coat my XD in Armadillo again since its a rainy day. Pull it out of the holster and under a bright light and I can see small specs of rust on the slide serrations. Crap I say, knew I shoulda kept the windows in my bedroom shut and proceed to wipe the rust off. No biggy, but whats the best way to prevent rust now that it has infested a small area? Is coating it with Arma. and the like gonna be able to prevent it now? Or if it does get worse by some freaky ass chance should I send it out and have it resurfaced and coated?

EDIT: All of my guns have surface rust now cept the shotty. Damn it guess no more open windows!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
You've got bare metal there so you would have to keep a coat of some type of protectant on it at all times. If you holster it then it's tough not to rub off the wax during regular use. May be best to just go for the recoat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might have to learn to do it myself then since all of my firearms now have surface rust. The SKS I'm not to worried about since its a tough beast anyway. Guess I'll just coat everything in CLP or Rem oil, and have the XD refinished when I have some money.

Someone plz yell at me for allowing this to happen :*(. Well if theres any saving grace its this. Out of all my newly surface rusty firearms the XD had the least. So perhaps the XD coating isnt as bad as ppl claim, and seeing as this was my fault and not the guns another brownie point for the XD.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A lot has to do with how often you fondle them. My XD used to show signs often but I wipped it down every other day at least and she was always fine. I had an unexpected surprize when I was involved in a motorcycle accident and left the gun locked up in my desk for almost 2 months, luckly I had wipped it down the night before, when I was finally back on my feet, I unlocked the desk expecting to see a brown XD to my supprize it was just as I had left it except for one small finger print on the trigger from where I had touched it when I put it away. Since then I try to fondle it less and seems to work out well--hehe.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you use the Armadillo wax, make sure that you get an even coating. If you can do as I do....I heat the slide with a hairdryer to get it pretty warm to the touch. While I am doing that I pretty much melt the Armadillo in a small container in the microwave. Once that is done I evenly coat the slide, allow it to dry to a haze, before I brush it vigorously with a clean shoe polish brush, I will take the hairdryer to it again and melt the smaller bunches of wax directly on the slide. Finally buff it with a soft cloth. The finish is terrific and has not shown any chance to rust here in Louisville. I also rub it down with a silicone cloth after handling it.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts