Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say you've dropped a mag, and then slammed a new one back in. At this point the slide is still stopped in the back position. Do you

A) Gentley grab the slide at the back and simulatenously pull it back and gently release, while lowering the slide lock button.

B) Grab the slide at the back, pull, and let it go (on newer guns the slide lock might still catch, I'm assuming it doesn't on any that have been used a bit)

C) Just lower the slide lock with your thumb and let it ram back into position.

I find myself doing it A style all of the time, but am thinking this might be more detrimental then good. Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Never do A..... gently releasing it is a one of the top causes of a round not fully charging into the chamber.... I was told in the police academy not to use the slide release when chambering a round for the same reason as not gently realeasing it, though I havent had a problem with it yet....

now pulling the slide fully rearward and letting her go is what I was always taught to do because there is more force making sure the round chambers.... A semi is made to take the force of pulling and releasing... I mean it does it everytime you fire a round....

·
Registered
359 Posts
+1 for B and C

Whichever you prefer, they are both acceptable.

I do B because that's how I do tap-rack drills, it feels fast, though I can see how using the slide stop lever is faster.

-stunks

P.S. I read in the your first post there about holding down the slide stop lever, with a full magazine, you never need to do that, unless your slide stop lever spring breaks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
While there is little doubt that C is the quickest, I reluctantly admit that I have done B in the past when I've run the thing dry during a USPSA stage. Of all the semi-autos that I've owned or shot, I have never had to hold the slide release down (as described in A) when pulling back the slide with a loaded mag inserted.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
I prefer D, when you slam the mag home that the slide releases on its own. When D fails, I go to see. When I first load the gun, with the slide closed, I use B (aka The Sling-Shot method).

OS

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD McDorce said:
While there is little doubt that C is the quickest, I reluctantly admit that I have done B in the past when I've run the thing dry during a USPSA stage. Of all the semi-autos that I've owned or shot, I have never had to hold the slide release down (as described in A) when pulling back the slide with a loaded mag inserted.
I don't have to hold it down, I just lowered it, as well as pulled back at the same time.

I think I'll adopt the method of C though. Won't this slowly wear the slide lock button / groove (whatever you might call it)? To the point where it won't actually hold the slide?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
JD McDorce said:
I don't have to hold it down, I just lowered it, as well as pulled back at the same time.

I think I'll adopt the method of C though. Won't this slowly wear the slide lock button / groove (whatever you might call it)? To the point where it won't actually hold the slide?
you shouldnt even have to lower it... once the magazine is inserted, as long as there is atleast one round in it, it will disengage the slide lock.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For the proponents of C; During high stress times, like if somebody was shooting at you. You will loose fine motor skills. Hitting that little catch with your big fat thumb is a fine motor skill.

Better to just get in the habit of slingshotting the slide. Which is to grab it, pull it back and let it go.

Of course if you don't carry for defense and don't ever plan to be in a high stress situation, any way you can get the slide closed on the target range will work just fine. :wink:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Old School said:
I prefer D, when you slam the mag home that the slide releases on its own. When D fails, I go to see. When I first load the gun, with the slide closed, I use B (aka The Sling-Shot method).

OS
Funny you should mention that .I thought Rich treaked somthing in my Tac.First match after trigger job first 4 stages every time jam mag slammed shut I was just getting use to it and the twice on the fith stage twice it locked open :shock: .
I use c but might try b just for kicks 8)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
I've seen and heard this aspect debated a number of times (including the LEOs teaching the CPL course I attended last winter advising not to use the slide stop lever as a slide release). The XD Manual indicates in the LOADING section to Depress the slide stop lever to allow slide to move forward and load a shell from the magazine into the chamber. I interpret this as being the manufacturer's recommended method.

While in concept the slide stop (or slide) could wear to the point where it will no longer hold open, I have no idea how many cycles this would take or whether it would be humanly possible to cycle it that many times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well if that's what the manual says, if it were to wear they'll stand behind it i'm sure, so I guess I'll go as planned then! It's an easier method anyways!

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK, I'll bite......some of you guys have XDs that will release the slide when you load a mag???? And this is without modifications?? Just tried it with my .40 and all I succeeded in doing was to eventually dislodge the top round in the magazine. :(

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
cozy338 said:
OK, I'll bite......some of you guys have XDs that will release the slide when you load a mag???? And this is without modifications?? Just tried it with my .40 and all I succeeded in doing was to eventually dislodge the top round in the magazine. :(
I would guess Maybe it's a slam and shake but I have had mine do it :shock:
But like I said I was telling the ro about it and then twice it locked opend and stayed.Also shooting empty maybe it doesn't alway seat the lock fully

·
Registered
256 Posts
My XD 45 closes when a full mag is slammed in. You don't do this slowly. It's a forceful action. I think in a high stress enviroment you will do what you have trained to do as far as dropping the slide. On a misfire(not with XD)I slam the bottom of the mag then rack the slide. This is how I train for a misfire. But loading a mag is differant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts