Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone here has practical experience with different recoil spring weights? I bought a Dons rod and 22# spring a few months back, was happy, bought it because I wanted to reduce the recoil in my XD9 Service and thus would help me with quicker follow ups.
I just had a conversation with someone at the range this morning. He said that I did it backwards and that if I really wanted to reduce the recoil and such, I would need to go to a lighter spring...blah, blah, etc. etc. He had good points for is argument. Now, my question is, was he right? I don't want to go and buy a spring in each weight just to test it out, not that they cost all that much, but i don't know how many different springs there are and I don't want springs laying around. Anyone??

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
He was right, the lighter the spring, the less percieved recoil, ask any competative shooter. I went from an 18 lb. spring in my Sig to a 14 lb.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Go to www.customglockracing.com. There's a very informative section entitled "spring wars", best info I've seen on this very subject. Most polymer frame pistols are immune to frame battering. I wouldn't suggest lower spring rates for alloy frame designs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
DieTrying said:
I am curious if anyone here has practical experience with different recoil spring weights? I bought a Dons rod and 22# spring a few months back, was happy, bought it because I wanted to reduce the recoil in my XD9 Service and thus would help me with quicker follow ups.
Bought the same setup for my XD9 Tactical and was hoping for the same results. Guess we both should have done some research first. I'm wondering if we could take the 22# spring and cut off a few coils to bring the spring weight down.

The stock spring in my gun is 18#. Anyone have a guess as to how many coils to cut off the 22# spring to get it down to around 15-16#? Would cutting it down cause unwanted side-affects?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You could count the # of coils and divide by 18(the weight of your stock spring). This should give you an idea of how much compression per coil. If your stock spring is 18, I wouldnt suggest dropping under about 15 lbs. compression rate. If you trim too much, you could lose enough forward velocity to cause slow or "sluggish" chambering problems.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Dipping below 16 pounds on the Service model will cause trouble with the XD, from my experience and testing (unreliable chambering). Regarding the 22 pound spring, the matter is subjective. Some feel that a heavier spring helps, while others go the other way in weight. In the end, it is what is best for the individual. The best thing to do is play with a few weights, to see what works best for you.

On my Tactical, I run a 16 pound spring. On my Service model, a 20 pound spring. For me, these seem to work best for my style and my loads.

Not sure if this is helpful or not.

Regards,
Scott

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I went down to 16# and I seem to get faster followup shots with it. It took some time to get used to the new recoil, but I realy like it. The recoil seems snapier but the sights go on target faster after the shot and I seem to be able to call the shot more often that with the 18#. Maybe it's just me but I like it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to order the 16# spring and see what happens. Now you've got me thinking I better not trim the 22# spring because I may find that for ME it is the better choice.

Hey it's only money right? I don't have enough now and if I buy more stuff I still won't have enough so I'll be no worse off right? :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use a 13 lb spring in my XD-9 Tactical. It seems more better for me. I also had less FTE also. Ive shot at least 900-1000 rds. with the 13 lb. spring and have not changed it yet. And still feels the same. I use mine in our XD Club shoots.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
When you cut coils off of a spring you make it more stiff. You will end up with about the same total spring force, but with less initial force at the installed length. You may not hold as well in battery with the cut spring. You are better off just buying the spring you want. They are cheap enough to try several weights to see what you like.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Does the Dond guide rod use 1911 springs? I would really like to find a way to put a 16 lb. spring in my wifes 4" gun.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Old School said:
Don's Rod uses 1911 springs. For the Service model, you need compact models.
Thank you sir, I will send in order in for one in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I don't think that there is a 16# spring for the Springfiled Compact 1911. You may need to get a Commander size spring and (gasp) clip coils. This is a time when you can usually clip the coils and it will work.

Get a 16# spring and clip 2.5 to 3 coils (deburr the slipped end or else it will score the rod). It will still be around 16# at full compression. Check to see that the slide as far as it always has. This is a bit tough to do but do your best. Make sure that it still stays in battery as it has to retain enough force to cock the striker and hold the slide.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Don said:
I don't think that there is a 16# spring for the Springfiled Compact 1911. You may need to get a Commander size spring and (gasp) clip coils. This is a time when you can usually clip the coils and it will work.

Get a 16# spring and clip 2.5 to 3 coils (deburr the slipped end or else it will score the rod). It will still be around 16# at full compression. Check to see that the slide as far as it always has. This is a bit tough to do but do your best. Make sure that it still stays in battery as it has to retain enough force to cock the striker and hold the slide.
Great info, thanks a bundle!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Best suggestion was made earlier. Buy a "set" of springs and experiment. Be sure your slide still has full travel. With some springs, the coils will "crash" before the slide contacts its rear stop. Ilike I.S.M.I. springs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts