Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!!
Got a quick question, sure it's not a big deal, but this is my second time purchasing a gun and noticed something. Went to a local gun shop in town after doing some research on the type of gun I wanted, xd 45 :D, I checked out the gun, felt like a glove in my hand and purchased it there on the spot. He took the gun from me which was the gun in the display case and went and got the case for the gun and put the gun in the case. I asked him if that gun was new because it came out of the case and he said "yes, never been fired". So I said fine. I have to wait 10 days because I live in the great state of California. Meanwhile I've been thinking though the gun is new, who knows how many people have played with the gun looking at it and what not. Also now that I think of it I remember a couple of tiny scratches on the back of the gun. I'm sure the gun will be fine but I'm thinking that since I shelled out a lot of money for this new gun, it should be still in the box new, and not open for display for all to handle. My concern is should I ask for a different one that hasn't been on display and pray that he has one in stock and not have to order another one, or just not worry about it and just pick it up when the 10 days are up and have fun shooting. I'm sure I'm just lame about this but for some reason this has been bothering me. Thanks for you advise!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Man I think you have a valid concern. I was in a local gun shop here in Colorado looking at a 1911, and was watching a gentleman waffling on whether or not to purchase a gun. I bet I watched him dry fire this gun 25 times. That was just one guy. Imagine how many times that happen before the gun is sold by other people fondling it.
There is a ton of info on the net on whether or not this is harmful to the gun or not. In my opinion, these stores should use the dummy ammo to let everyone and their neighbor dry fire a weapon multiple times.
I walked out of the store thinking to myself, if I bought a brand new gun that’s what I want, one that has never been handled by the general public.
My 2 cents!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have purchased two guns in the past 6 months and I thought the exact same thing. My guess, is the shop either doesn't have any in stock except for that one or that's just how they do it. It would be interesting to get the perspective of a gun shop owner on this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
He should have told you that was the only one of them he had so you could make up your mind to take the demo or wait until he got another one in stock. That pistol doesn't qualify as new in box, it's a demo. You will probably be just fine with the pistol and SA will fix anything that might have been harmed. I would guess you will never have a problem with it.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Slim all XD`s have been fired especially the California ones. When you pick up the pistol you will find a small manilla envelope with at least two fired casings that came from your pistol. One it is for testing to make sure the gun works and two they scan the characteristics of the casing to be able to identify your pistol.

XD357sig then almost all pistols sold then would qualify as a demo, stores always sell the display this is far from an uncommon practice.

XD9 Owner this is exactly how it happens the display is sold. Most shops are mom and pop and don`t have "demos" per say. The guns are sold as new, I have never seen a gun store that sold the shelf/display gun cheaper. Whats on the shelf is the stock for sale. Sometimes a range rental guns will be sold cheaper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
At my bass pro where I got my gun you cannot dry fire them which is nice. These are the new ones of course. I still asked for an unmolested model. People sure do like handling xdm's and xd's.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in California as well and just purchased an XD45 tac. I too purchased the one that was the "display". My thoughts were if there is something wrong with it I should be covered under SA's warranty. Plus these guns weren't made to be babied. Aside from smacking it on the ground, throwing it against the wall, etc, I'm sure the gun is fine. Most retailers won't allow their customers to damage their merchandise.

In your case, if you already purchased it, you are stuck with that model. The serial number is being registered during your 10 day wait. There are typically no exchanges or returns on any firearms (at least at the stores I go to). So I would say don't worry about it. I hear SA's customer service is top knotch anyways....good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've bought 5 hand guns in the past 7 months and all but one were NIB, never fondled by others. My XDm 9 was the display model and the only one in the store. It checked out OK so I bought it. It has been flawless at the range. Wish I could say the same about 3 of the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts