Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I buy a gun out of state and my local FFL receives it...I pay the FFL transfer fee($25. for example). Do I also have to pay sales tax? Like I would if I bought the gun from a local dealer.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I can't answer this for Texas, but Ohio I never have had to. because you are not actually buying the gun within the state.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
When I buy a gun out of state and my local FFL receives it...I pay the FFL transfer fee($25. for example). Do I also have to pay sales tax? Like I would if I bought the gun from a local dealer.

Thanks for the info!
In Texas, if you paid for the item yourself to an out of state source, the FFL holder should not charge you any tax on the item itself.

·
Registered
244 Posts
No - you are just performing the transfer through your dealer. The actual sale took place out-of-state. At least that's the way it is here in MN.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Depends two of the 3 ffls I've dealt with didn't charge a tax. The last one I dealt with charged a tax on the transfer fee so it was $20 plus tax to transfer. Thats the last time I will deal with them.

·
Registered
649 Posts
To answer your Question----------No.
Now, my FFL doesn`t charge tax on the $25. transfer fee to the best of my knowledge.
However, a tax MAY be included in that $25.
Now you have aroused my curiosity, so I`ll just ask her.
Regards, Pete

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. I guess a tax on the transfer fee itself is not a big deal. I just didn't want to have to pay tax on the price of the gun. If I did I'd might as well buy it locally.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
To answer your Question----------No.
Now, my FFL doesn`t charge tax on the $25. transfer fee to the best of my knowledge.
However, a tax MAY be included in that $25.
Now you have aroused my curiosity, so I`ll just ask her.
Regards, Pete
Yep, most FFL holders include the tax in their "charge".

They report a taxable service fee of $23.09 to the revenuers (and just call it a $25 transfer fee).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just did an FFL last night. Sales tax (at least in AZ) is for the state you bought the item from. Online purchases dont have sales tax though, a majority of the time.

It wouldnt make too much since to me to purchase an item from Georgia or something and have to pay the state of Arizona (where I live) sales tax on the item when the item was not sold there?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts