Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned one of my rifles for the first time in about a year and man it really needed it. I feel bad for forgetting to do it for so long, but I don't ever think about it since it stays in a case out of sight.

My question is should I be worried about any damage to the barrel from waiting so long? I didn't get any rust on the patches and the bore doesn't show any pitting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just cleaned one of my rifles for the first time in about a year and man it really needed it. I feel bad for forgetting to do it for so long, but I don't ever think about it since it stays in a case out of sight.

My question is should I be worried about any damage to the barrel from waiting so long? I didn't get any rust on the patches and the bore doesn't show any pitting.
from your e mail it seems you dodged the bullet so to speak:

1. never store a gun in a case ie the zip up carrying type.
2. my stored guns recieve a close 6 month inspection then a silicoat cloth wipedown before restoring them.
3. Annually clean all guns the same way you would as if you had fired
them then a complete wipe down with a silicoat cloth.
4. Always clean and reoil a gun the same day it is fired, I learned this in
the militay and and its a fine habit to keep.

BUT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT, the area you live in like a sea coast, or other high humidity areas.

When i lived in such areas I have used RIG, a THIN coat gun grease after 1St.thoroghly cleaning the gun exterior and inside the barrel.

Be sure to clean out the barrel and mechanism before firing.

I began all the suggested prevention and upkeep when I was a teenager and have never had a bit of rust or pitting on any gun I have ever owned
and Im now 78 Years of age.

Good luck & Good shooting

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
You're in Texas so if you are storing them clean and dry and the humidity isn't getting to them you should be fine. Unless you are talking about a benchrest precision rifle or shooting corrosive stuff you don't HAVE to keep them clean. My bolt gun shoots best when the bore is fouled so It probably only gets cleaned once a year. I found an AR once that hadn't been cleaned in 15 years. Cleaned it, put another 5-6k rounds through it, and it still shoots sub 2" groups with good milsurp.

The real crime here is that you don't take that that baby out and shoot it ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I clean my guns after every use IE firing I store my long guns and others I don't use offen in gun storage bags can't think of the brand but had a rifle that was Bagged in 1983 and my son wanted to use it and it was spotless then opened last fall.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will clean my fired firearms within 48 hours and generally the same day. That was "set" in to my brain as young kid in the 1950s.

But while on the high school ROTC rifle team we cleaned the .22 rifle bores but twice a year. Each session we would wipe down the rifle and clean the bolt, but leave the bore alone. Didn't seem to be detrimental back then. Maybe all the grease and lub on the .22 LR match ammo made a difference.

But caution with black powder arms. It's virtually mandatory you clean it the same day.

·
Registered
141 Posts
1. never store a gun in a case ie the zip up carrying type.
hey everyone... just brushing up on proper methods in cleaning a gun (ie. what to do and what NOT to do, etc).

So, I saw the above statement about storage. Why not store in the zip-up type case?
My first guess is because it's not "sealed" and is exposed to air/moisture, which can "dry" a gun out.

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would think that if your firearms are in a controlled environment (your air conditioned house). A zip up bag or leaving them in a draw or closet is not a big deal.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As a youngster, I was taught to clean and oil your rifle, pistol, or shotgun after each range session or time in the field. My US Air Force Vet father drilled this into my head at a young age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts