Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought armadillo the other day to protect the stainless slide on my XD service.

I am leary about applying it with a warm cloth....won't that put moisture...the very thing that causes rust....on my slide? Will it cause rather than solve a problem? I tried a dry cloth but that definately won't work.

Also, should I use it on the barrel and other metal parts in the gun as well or is the slide the only real culprit for rust problems?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
The warm cloth is for the benefit of softening up the Armadillo. Since it is a wax, it will coat the metal and repel the water. No worries, it is good stuff.

Yes, you can use it on all metal parts. I would worry about the barrel, just the slide.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is how I did mine....

First get a small container to put the armadillo (wax) in....don't go and get an animal and try to squeeze the wax out of it! :lol:

Then begin by making sure your weapon is empty, field strip it, and start blowing hot air onto the slide with a hairdryer on max....then start microwaving a small amount of the armadillo wax until it is VERY soft....continue blow drying the slide and then apply with your fingers or a soft cloth over the whole exterior of the slide, the slide rails and any other part you choose to coat.

Allow to dry to a glaze and repeat the process once more. Allow that coat to dry and proceed to the next steps:

>>Using the hairdryer, melt the glazed armadillo with the hairdryer and begin immediately the next step...

>>Take a new, clean show brush and buff the slide inside and out. After using the brush, buff the slide with a dry soft cloth.

This process allows for an even coating to be applied and will prevent little cakes of the armadillo from getting where it could make operation of the weapon suspect. I have done this process several times without problem. I have not scientific, fancy reason for how or why I came up with this process.....but it seems to work for me! :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
KyXD40:
Thanks for the instructions. I just tried your method and the slide looks great.
Much easier than the previous methods I had used. No toothbrushes needed to get out the whitened wax.
Everybody should try this method.
I used a shoe brush to buff it. I think that's what you meant when you said "show brush", right? :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is the purpose of this stuff mainly to prevent rust? Or is it to protect the finish on your slide?
I was wondering if there is anything out there that i can use to protect my finish especially when using a plastic holster (like something i can do myself) ... or any holster for that matter.
Ive heard a lot that with repeated use of holsters the finish will eventually waer down... BUT I DONT WANT IT TO! I want it to be prefect forever and ever! Or at least protect it as much as I can. lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
Oil the inside of the slide. Armadillo is mainly useful for corrosion resistance, because it repels moisture without being easily wiped off like oil is.

Nothing short of paint or clearcoat will protect the slide from holster wear; and even then it's only a matter of time.

I have found that a warm cloth won't do anything to the Armadillo to make it easier to apply. My usual application is to rub some Armadillo off, and try to transfer most of the flakes to my slide. Rub it into the slide until it smears in uniformly, then buff with another cloth to get the excess off.

Melting the Armadillo is the best policy but it can be troublesome and messy so I usually don't bother.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another quick tip on the application. In addition to using a warm, moist rag, I also prepped my slide by putting it on a tray in the oven (LOWEST heat possible with the door cracked open) and let the slide metal warm up thoroughly. I think it helps soften and liquify the Armadillo as you apply it. I've gotten really good results this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts