Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching I did not see this covered...

Talking specifically about a .223 what kind of hunting can you do with it? If you really wanted or needed to put some food on the table what kind of game is an option? I know that the rifle is good for HD extra firepower but being a rifle it should have some hunting capability from its roots.

What hunting has anyone actually done with their .223 AR?

Thanks.

Cy

·
Registered
337 Posts
first of all, check your local regulations. You will probably have to acquire a limited capacity magazine, most places only allow 4 + 1 bullet capacity between magazine and chamber. Second, most places define the minimum cartridge you can use. 223 is usually ok, but you may also need something that can expand.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Yup talk to a local game warden they are usually pretty squared away about their hunting regs. In some states .223 is too small to legally hunt game with in others there are mag cap limits, ect ect.

.223/5.56 is reaching it's limit taking down medium sized game such as the size of Whitetail deer we have in north central Tx. And then you probably need to be using something like Winchester's 64grn Power Point loading.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
first of all, check your local regulations. You will probably have to acquire a limited capacity magazine, most places only allow 4 + 1 bullet capacity between magazine and chamber. Second, most places define the minimum cartridge you can use. 223 is usually ok, but you may also need something that can expand.

Guessing from the OP, this is almost a SHTF question. He's not saying he wants to take it out right now and drop some deer. He's saying, if he had to, what could he take down with a .223.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points but my main thought is that this would be necessity hunting if things went south at some point so the mag restrictions would not be a problem. ;)

I'd like to know the multi-use capability of the rifle before buying one. My SD shotgun can pull double duty with some hunting even though it is not strictly set up for it. I'd like any rifle I buy to have similar ability.

Maybe for this consideration I might want to step up to the .308 variety? I know that ammo for the .308 is a lot more expensive. Just trying to figure out where to draw the line and actually make a purchase.

Cy

·
Registered
337 Posts
in that case, i'd invest in camo sneek up close to stuff i'd want and use a 22 mag, with stingers if you got 'em. save your 223 ammo for the zombies.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Good points but my main thought is that this would be necessity hunting if things went south at some point so the mag restrictions would not be a problem. ;)

I'd like to know the multi-use capability of the rifle before buying one. My SD shotgun can pull double duty with some hunting even though it is not strictly set up for it. I'd like any rifle I buy to have similar ability.

Maybe for this consideration I might want to step up to the .308 variety? I know that ammo for the .308 is a lot more expensive. Just trying to figure out where to draw the line and actually make a purchase.

Cy
What kind of gun collector are you? Do you have goals for weapons? Or do you just want a few for fun but are now planning for the future? You can get a .308 Rem 700 and tact it out, and that will work for hunting, or you can get a M1A. Ask around here and alot of people will recommend them. That also works well as a zombie killer and you can hunt some pretty big game with that one. Buy some military surplus just to stockpile for SHTF and shoot some better ammo occasionally. I can get 1k rds of Magtech .308 150gr for $600. You can get 200rds of military surplus for just over $100

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
in that case, i'd invest in camo sneek up close to stuff i'd want and use a 22 mag, with stingers if you got 'em. save your 223 ammo for the zombies.

You've obviously never hunted deer. They will hear you 200yds away and get spooked, you ain't sneeking up on them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You've obviously never hunted deer. They will hear you 200yds away and get spooked, you ain't sneeking up on them.
from my experience most people sneak up on deer by staying still for a little while, and I do know from experience that while the 22mag is highly illegal to use on deer, at range < 70 yards it is very effective, and quiet, which I believe is more important if SHTF when hunting.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I wouldn't even try taking anything larger then a small deer with .223. It's just not a large/heavy enough bullet to get the job done. It's much better suited for varmit/smaller predators.

If you're wanting to do any hunting for larger game (SHTF or not), I would at least use 7.62x39. Going with .308 or .30-06 is probably a better bet. You can get plenty of guns chambered in either, and plenty of hi-cap military clones in .308.

Sure, you can hunt larger game with .223, but it's still not a very good thing to do. If it's all you have, then it's certainly going to work. But even in a SHTF situation, I want to do my hunting humanely. Invest in a good hunting rifle, you'll be glad you did.

You could also invest in a 6.5 grendal upper for your AR. Probably one of the cheaper alternatives, and it packs enough punch for large deer.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
from my experience most people sneak up on deer by staying still for a little while, and I do know from experience that while the 22mag is highly illegal to use on deer, at range < 70 yards it is very effective, and quiet, which I believe is more important if SHTF when hunting.
Not questioning the caliber weapon.

I wouldn't consider waiting in a tree stand or in a ghillie suit sneeking up on a deer. Even bow hunting you can't really stalk the deer. Its just too hard, you just have to wait for it to get close to you.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Searching I did not see this covered...

Talking specifically about a .223 what kind of hunting can you do with it? If you really wanted or needed to put some food on the table what kind of game is an option? I know that the rifle is good for HD extra firepower but being a rifle it should have some hunting capability from its roots.

What hunting has anyone actually done with their .223 AR?

Thanks.

Cy
Shot placment is king here and you can take up to medium sized deer with this round. Head shot will get the job done with expanding BT. Breath and make the second shot count if required.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
People have bow hunted for animals as large as moose and buffalo. If you are persistent and accurate, you can take large game with a .223 round. The problem is that if you don't incapacitate the animal quickly you could be doing a LOT of tracking.

The .223 is not going to to incapacitate nearly as quickly as a larger round like the .308 or 30.06 will. To make up for this you need to know the best place to shoot and be accurate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My first deer rifle was a .222 and it worked pretty well at stopping whitetail deer. A well placed shot to the heart and they did not run very far. I think for deer sized and smaller game, (especially SHTF situations) a .223 would be fine.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
so basicly its capable of deer if you NEED to but all of use would use something bigger if we could. i would use my savage 7mm remington magnum

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
I wouldn't even try taking anything larger then a small deer with .223. It's just not a large/heavy enough bullet to get the job done. It's much better suited for varmit/smaller predators.

If you're wanting to do any hunting for larger game (SHTF or not), I would at least use 7.62x39. Going with .308 or .30-06 is probably a better bet. You can get plenty of guns chambered in either, and plenty of hi-cap military clones in .308.

Sure, you can hunt larger game with .223, but it's still not a very good thing to do. If it's all you have, then it's certainly going to work. But even in a SHTF situation, I want to do my hunting humanely. Invest in a good hunting rifle, you'll be glad you did.

You could also invest in a 6.5 grendal upper for your AR. Probably one of the cheaper alternatives, and it packs enough punch for large deer.
This is precisely why I traded in my AR15 and went to the AR-10. For me, it performs all the functions I would need it for even though the cost is nearly twice as much. We were looking at a AR15 for (her) but the more I read about the 6.5 Grendel I think we are going that way.

In the future we may pick up a AR15 for target. With the way things are (present day) and the fact that it can get far worse in a few months we are sticking with the heavier calibers.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
This is precisely why I traded in my AR15 and went to the AR-10. For me, it performs all the functions I would need it for even though the cost is nearly twice as much. We were looking at a AR15 for (her) but the more I read about the 6.5 Grendel I think we are going that way.

In the future we may pick up a AR15 for target. With the way things are (present day) and the fact that it can get far worse in a few months we are sticking with the heavier calibers.
What is going to be the more common caliber? 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC?

·
Registered
346 Posts
From the research I've done, it's considered a "borederline" round for deer...but would be fine on hogs and such.

It'll work, but there's much better (and cheaper) options available for larger game.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
in regards to sneaking up on deer, it can be easy if you are on a dirtbike, three or 4 wheeler, rhino, honda odessy etc. hell even a tractor. I go hunting often see nothing all day, putz around on other folks property where no hunting is going on (with permission) and i run into deer looking me right in the face from 20 feet away from the fire trail. Its pretty agrevating.

If you can drop a 300 lb man with a .223 you can drop most any north american game animal quickly like deer, or smaller no problem, and you would likely kill an elk but have to track him a long way, could drop a brown or black bear. You could kill a grizzly just make sure you are in a car or something lol, and REALLY wait for the sucker to bleed out. Dont go putzing through the woods following a blood trail to get swiped with how ever many thousands of pounds of force a grizly can hit with .... i think its in the 2,000 -3,000 enough to through you ten feet with a bitch slap.

this is of course SHTF you cant just go hunt a grizely with any old rifle you find in law abiding times.

Also you can flush deer out, not really sneak up like an idian walking with magic, i mean you can walk around and they run and sit down 100 yards away and hide, you set up and wait them out, you sight in, flip out the bi pod etc and wait for him to stand up and pop the deer.

Get a .308 to go with the .223 and youll be all set, well that and a nice stock pile of ammo for both. .308 bolt gun, ar10, Fn FAL, doesnt matter you will be able to drop big men hopped up on drugs one the first shot at much greater distances than a pushed to its limits .223

You can hunt legally in most states any game that is legal to hunt with a .308 so your good to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts