Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing a bunch of You tube vids, and others on the boards with so called "upgraded" guide rods. I work in an industry where people get "upgradeitis", including myself at times, to get an "improvement" of some sort. Most of the time it's for a drop in weight (we're talking grams here). I just don't see it.

I understand the other items avail for upgrading, trigger kits etc, but this one is baffleing me.

What is the purpose other than replacing a worn piece? Or does this fall into the 'upgradeitis" section?

Is there a huge difference between the OEM piece and an aftermarket unit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've replaced all the guide rods in the CZ 75 and 97 with the Steve Bedair stainless steel guide rod, he made one for me last week for the XDM45..very nice, price $25 , shipping included.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've replaced all the guide rods in the CZ 75 and 97 with the Steve Bedair stainless steel guide rod, he made one for me last week for the XDM45..very nice, price $25 , shipping included.
Yeah, but what is it exactly that makes it worthwhile? Does it weigh less? Improve weapon function somehow? I've wondered about this myself. . . I can see replacing the plastic guide rod in my Beretta with something a bit more substantial, but the guide rod in my XD is already pretty beefy.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You can get a solid guide rod that takes 1911 springs too. Those are for people who shoot underpowered ammo for target practice/competition. You need a weaker spring to allow the slide to function properly. There are hundreds of options already available for the 1911, so some shooters just use those.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Thank you sir.

I wonder if filling the guide rod with small lead sinkers and then heating it up would work without warping the guide rod.......

The rod won't warp. But there is a better way. Tungsten is far heavier than lead. I've soldered tungsten rods into the 4.5" .40cal XDm. Pretty cheap and easy to do. Cheaper than a solid steel rod and heavier too. I am pretty sure I have a few left over too if anyone wants to tinker.

Here's some pictures of doing it.

The last picture is after 100 rounds fired. It still looks that way.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have been seeing a bunch of You tube vids, and others on the boards with so called "upgraded" guide rods. I work in an industry where people get "upgradeitis", including myself at times, to get an "improvement" of some sort. Most of the time it's for a drop in weight (we're talking grams here). I just don't see it.

I understand the other items avail for upgrading, trigger kits etc, but this one is baffleing me.

What is the purpose other than replacing a worn piece? Or does this fall into the 'upgradeitis" section?

Is there a huge difference between the OEM piece and an aftermarket unit?

The purpose of a heavier guide rod (Tungston) is to help reduce the muzzle flip of the gun. I have the Tungston guide rod in my 45 tac xd, it helped greatly in controllabiliy of the gun during rapid followup shots. I also did the "lead filled" guide rod mod. I used my production pot, while casting bullets, to fill the hollow tac guide rod with molten lead, worked great, the tungston worked even better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve Bedair rod is a solid stainless steel rod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fairly new here, so forgive me if my question is pointless.

You guys seem to be talking about muzzle flip on the .45...

Will it be worth it to purchase something like this for a XDM 9mm??

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Fairly new here, so forgive me if my question is pointless.

You guys seem to be talking about muzzle flip on the .45...

Will it be worth it to purchase something like this for a XDM 9mm??
Anything to reduce muzzle flip and get back on target quicker is a good thing, but at some point, it becomes almost not worth it.

XD's, like other good firearms really shoot better than most peoples ability so trigger time and practice is money better spent.

Kind of like high performance cars.....starts costing 50-100 per horsepower upgrade, and only really matters in competition.

That said, I have a SS guide rod in my 45.

If I had to choose a caliber that I thought needed less muzzle flip, it would be .40, but that's just my personal preferance.

Plus, shiny parts are neat!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Because solid stainless steel guide rods are pretty...;)

I use a Steve Bedair in my P239.

I use a Grey Guns SS rod in one P229.

I use AR-15 rods in another P229 and a P226..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts