Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand it is not currently possible to buy conversion barrels for my .45 Gap, but is it possible to buy a slide in a different caliber? Perhaps I could buy a .40 slide and be able to potentially shoot all calibers out of the same frame.

Is this feasible? Are there any problems or incompatibilities with changing slides on the same frame? If there aren't, where might I look to buy new slides?

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
The 45 gap uses the same frame as the 40/9mm/357. The slide is the same width but the breech face is whats bigger. A 40 round wont even somewhat function with the 45 gap slide. The extractor is to far away to grap the 40 case rim.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm well aware the problems presented with converting a .45 slide to other calibers. but you said I can't buy other slides from other sources?

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
maverick9614 said:
I'm well aware the problems presented with converting a .45 slide to other calibers. but you said I can't buy other slides from other sources?
That's what I heard. Very loud also. NO.

Ed

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to ressurect this dead thread, but it dawns on me that since the part of the gun that is consdiered the "gun" is the frame, and not the slide, would it therfore be possible to by it direct form Croatia? You're not buying a gun per se, just pieces. You could then buy your preffered barrell from someone in the US.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
maverick9614 said:
Sorry to ressurect this dead thread, but it dawns on me that since the part of the gun that is consdiered the "gun" is the frame, and not the slide, would it therfore be possible to by it direct form Croatia? You're not buying a gun per se, just pieces. You could then buy your preffered barrell from someone in the US.
I am sorry to kill it!! But...................NO is
still the word for the day.

Ed

·
Registered
104 Posts
Even if Springfield sold you a slide separately; it's just not economic. A barrel goes for $185 to $200 plus (and may require fitting) and a slide minus the barrel or spring or guide rod will also go for at least $200 so you will have spent about what a new gun would cost (plus the new gun will have a lifetime warranty; two magazines, and case).

So far, the only economic slides you can buy are for the Sig 226 or 220 and that's from CDNN they are selling refurbished slides (minus the barrels) for the very inexpensive price of $69.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts