Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new here thinking abt getting xd 9 or xd 40. I want it to serve 2 purposes try to shoot IDPA and use as a carry gun. I have a SA 1911 Loaded,I can use that to shoot IDPA. Thats why I'm thinking the 4' barrel.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern California! Sorry I can't help you with the carry question. Both my XD's are 4". Might be a little too big for carry.

·
Registered
339 Posts
4" service guns will work fine for carry if that is what you are wondering. It depends on your body type and the clothes you wear, but I carry an XD40 service all day, everyday. The 4" barrel is not an issue as much as the grip length. My gun prints sometimes with a t-shirt, but not too bad. Getting a holster with adjustable cant like a King Tuk is my next purchase.

As for caliber, get whatever you want. Either caliber is good, I chose the .40 because it has a little more stopping power, but the 9 has more magazine capacity, so its a trade-off.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have the XD9sc and use it for both Carry and IPDA and do as well as many of the Service & Tactical, but I'm just out there to make myself more proficient with my carry piece, that to Kick Butt & Take names.

You need to wiegh the pro & con of each. The sc definitely has a shorter sight radius, but can still hold it's own if you practice. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree I'm not going to be , breaking any records. I was thinking 4 then I could carry it as well. I'm not to tall 5'6 with knee replacements lol. I think a 3.5 i would work better for carry. I really want to try to shoot IDPA . I will probaly use my SA 1911 it has a 5'. just trying to feel it out. I'm retired , I handling a problem for my wife, and she told me she would buy me a gun . I got all excited. I don't even to hide it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
I carry and compete with an XD9SC in IDPA. It's a great pistol IMO.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The grip length on the subcompact is the biggest advantage it has. What makes it even better is that with the extension you have the same grip length and capacity of a full size. I don't own one, but in my opinion the XD9SC and XD40SC are fantastic guns.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought the xd9sc last year instead of the 40 simply because I already had about 2k of brass for the 9.I am very happy with the xd9sc as it shoots great and hides very well with the short grip.If you don't already have a bunch of brass and you reload, it seem to be easier these days to find brass for the 40 since many of the LEO have went to the 40. I also have an xdm40 4.5 now and the full sizer grip is the only thing that makes it tricky to hide, but it hides well in a crossbreed super tuck at 4 o'clock.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I prefer the 4" version. If you can conceal the SC you can conceal the 4". I think that 9mm is superior to .40. If you want a .40 get a 9mm conversion barrel to take advantage of the cheaper ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts