Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first handgun, the XDSC40, which I should be picking up in a few days.

From what I've read, it's a good idea to clean it before firing it the first time so I will definitely be doing that.

Is there anything else that I should especially do since this is a new gun?

Is there a particular break-in procedure or is it ready for normal use after the first cleaning?

Thanks for any help ya'll can provide!

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
IMO- cleaning not necessary, the more you shoot it, the smoother it becomes... But cleaning after range is good to...

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Hoppes makes some fine stuff. Also, get some Breakfree CLP while you are at it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1) Take out of box

2) Admire workmanship

3) Shoot like hell

4) Go home and clean it for the first time. Lightly lube, put away.

Enjoy

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If it's your first hand gun. I recommend you go to Springfield's website and download their .pdf of the firearms manual. Read it before you even touch your weapon. Once you get it home, I'd get familiar with the features of the firearm and how it works. do some dry firing excercises, etc. Field strip it so you know how to take it apart, etc. I'd just look it quickly to see if it needs to be cleaned. More than likely it won't need to be cleaned so than you can re-assemble it and go to the range. Once you come home, than clean it, and put your baby away safe. Also, like someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The initial cleaning is to get rid of the packing lube and get a proper lubricant (as apposed to a protectant) on the moving parts.
I wouldn't say the initial cleaning is absolutely necesary, but its a few minutes to look a new firearm over.
When I fire a new firearm, I will brush and mop between the first 10 shots that are mostly in the dirt down range.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Willjitsu,

Seeing as how this is your first handgun please allow me to give you some advice on cleaning. When cleaning your handgun, one word. SAFETY. I say this because within the last year a guy I work with put a 9mm Hydrashok through his left hand while cleaning his XD9. Reason for this happening is because he was on the phone and tried doing a fuctions check and grabbed a partialy full mag instead of an empty mag. Bottomline: When cleaning, CLEAN ONLY. No phones,no tv's,no distractions. If possible NO live ammo in the same room. Complacency=accidents or worse. Just my 2cents though.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, SAFETY is NUMBER 1 PRIORITY! Good post on the complacency. I think those of us who have been around guns our whole lives tend to get a little complacent on some of the finer points of gun safety we learned as young ones.

Get familiar with the gun, and shoot it as often as you can to become comfortable with it and be confident with it. Then (whats all this put away stuff?) CARRY ON. If you dont have it and can, get your concealed permit, and carry the darn thing. Thats what there for. Whats the #1 rule of a gun fight?? To have a gun!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the all of the advice guys!

I did get my carry permit earlier this year. I haven't decided if I'm going to carry the gun yet or not, but I wanted to get one that would be easy to carry if I decided to do so.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The initial cleaning is to get rid of the packing lube and get a proper lubricant (as apposed to a protectant) on the moving parts.
I wouldn't say the initial cleaning is absolutely necesary, but its a few minutes to look a new firearm over.
When I fire a new firearm, I will brush and mop between the first 10 shots that are mostly in the dirt down range.

What kind of lubricant do you recommend? I have hoppes #9 and Breakfree. Is this all I need?

·
Registered
208 Posts
get the XDsc-40 buy some good lube take to Range field-strip, lube over SA lube shoot, shoot, shoot. Then clean.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since I just picked up my XD45ACP Tactical on Tuesday, let me throw my $.02 in!

1. Check out the gun and gear it comes with, make sure it's all there.

2. Take your CLP with you - field strip, and wipe everything down with the CLP - this gets the packing grease out and lubes the gun up for some action.

3. Once you reassemble, before even putting a mag in, check that the safeties work (grip, trigger, grip+trigger, and thumb safety, if yours has it)

4. When you get onto the range, load 1 cartridge into each magazine, aim downrange, and fire. Test each magazine this way, to ensure they work. Then do the same with 2 rounds in each magazine. This tests the cycling, firing, and feeding mechanisms.

5. Shoot a bunch of rounds through it, to get used to the firearm, and make sure the sights are accurate.

Good luck!

-John

·
Registered
43 Posts
Didn't clean mine before the first time shooting it. Shot perfectly, no issues at all. I've only cleaned it a few times here and there and i've probably put 800 rounds through it. Yet to have any failures! I love this gun!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts