Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I haven't purchased a Springfield for several years. But there are a few things concerning or maybe not to be concerned from my purchase. It makes sense that maybe the pistol is sold in a box now, with a soft bag. However here are the things that I find interesting. And then I will go into my questions.

(1) no red bolt block plastic piece (whatever it's called) in the pistol.
(2) no empty fire/tested shell from the manufacture.
(3) I ordered the Springfield Armory XD-M Elite Compact 9mm Luger 3.8in Black Pistol - 14+1 Rounds ID XDME9389CBHCOSP
(4) What was in the box was Springfield Armory XD-M Elite Compact 9mm Luger 3.8in Black Pistol - 14+1 Rounds XDME9389CBHCOSPD

The serial number matches on the receipt and the box. However, when I opened the box at home it had all these accessories, I saw a battery and thought what the heck is that for? Well now I see I had the Hex Dragonfly and parts in my box.

I am scratching my head how that all rang up and left the store with all three people looking over the paperwork and it left like that.

Questions:
(1) for anyone who has recently purchased a XDm Elite was the test round included in the box/case?
(2) with the serial number matching the receipt, box, and pistol there is nothing to worry about, as far as the background check done with the ATF?

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Material property
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Wood

·
Registered
666 Posts
Springfield hasn't included the test fired brass in any of their pistols for a few years now, although I'm not sure when exactly they stopped.

You should be ok as all the numbers match up. I don't believe the model number is recorded on the 4473, just the serial number. And even then, it just stays on the form.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Springfield hasn't included the test fired brass in any of their pistols for a few years now, although I'm not sure when exactly they stopped.

You should be ok as all the numbers match up. I don't believe the model number is recorded on the 4473, just the serial number. And even then, it just stays on the form.
Thank you!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now if I am going to use this Hex Dragonfly optic, I will need to contact Springfield. Because currently the front and rear sights are not optic ready sights. I would not be able to Co-Witness.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Cowittnessing sights are not a requirement, but more of a personal preference. Some people like a strong cowittness, some like a lower third cowittness, others don't like any iron sights cluttering or otherwise consuming space in the optics view.

The intended use of the firearm may also change your preferences.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cowittnessing sights are not a requirement, but more of a personal preference. Some people like a strong cowittness, some like a lower third cowittness, others don't like any iron sights cluttering or otherwise consuming space in the optics view.

The intended use of the firearm may also change your preferences.
Makes reasonabler sense! Thank you!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
RE: co- witnessing -

@masterchither , to add to @mtnlvr 's excellent, succinct, breakdown, you'll also want to keep in mind that should you desire to co-witness the pistol's irons, even when you do get suitable-height replacements, what your eyes may perceive as being the appropriate sight-alignment on the irons may or may not coincide with how you've sighted-in the dot.

This disconnect drives some shooters crazy, but they're really just making their own lives harder. :) Simply realize that your eyes may or may not "see" each of the sighting devices the same way: i.e. "shoot the dot" when you're shooting the dot, and "shoot the irons" when you're shooting the irons.

They do not have to exactly align - or even align at all - for each to separately be just as accurate/precise.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought an XDM Elite compact 10mm yesterday, and there was no test round. Only the test target.
Thank you! I took the pistol appart and verifed everything from the serial number on the barrel, frame, and box match. It just must have been sloppy handling at the store..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: co- witnessing -

@masterchither , to add to @mtnlvr 's excellent, succinct, breakdown, you'll also want to keep in mind that should you desire to co-witness the pistol's irons, even when you do get suitable-height replacements, what your eyes may perceive as being the appropriate sight-alignment on the irons may or may not coincide with how you've sighted-in the dot.

This disconnect drives some shooters crazy, but they're really just making their own lives harder. :) Simply realize that your eyes may or may not "see" each of the sighting devices the same way: i.e. "shoot the dot" when you're shooting the dot, and "shoot the irons" when you're shooting the irons.

They do not have to exactly align - or even align at all - for each to separately be just as accurate/precise.
Understandable! So what might work, which I already have, is to remove the optic. I haven't taken the pistol to range yet. Make sure Iron's are sighted in correct before adding the optic. If/when I do find better Irons like the ones on the threaded barrel XDm Elites. Redo those steps. Irons then optics.
Thank you!

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Correct - sight-in each separately, the optic and the irons. :)

It's not like with a long-gun, where the sights are really going to be forcing your aiming eye along the axis. With handgun, folks trying to get both systems to align at-best end up with reasonable alignment after they chase their tails for a while, and at-worst end up frustrated and angry because they just can't get both to align in a manner that's acceptable to them.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thank you! I took the pistol appart and verifed everything from the serial number on the barrel, frame, and box match. It just must have been sloppy handling at the store..
I’ve noticed that before too. When something new comes in it’s like every store goober employee has to fondle and play commando with it. I try and request an unopened one but there’s usually some made up excuse that they try.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Now if I am going to use this Hex Dragonfly optic, I will need to contact Springfield. Because currently the front and rear sights are not optic ready sights. I would not be able to Co-Witness.
Since it’s designed to be a concealed carry gun, SA probably thought the regular sights would not get in the way for that kind of carry. I have the XDM Elite 9mm OSP; full size. It has the raised sights.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since it’s designed to be a concealed carry gun, SA probably thought the regular sights would not get in the way for that kind of carry. I have the XDM Elite 9mm OSP; full size. It has the raised sights.
That makes sense, regarding the raised sights might get in the way. I hopefully get to shoot it this week. I have the XD mod2 service model 9mm. Wow, those mags almost fit into the XDm ... how have you like your XDm Elite?

Reactions: M. J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello
I just posted a similar message in the 10mm section. I waived my option for the HEX RDS, I'm now having difficulty finding a combination of dot and irons that will co-witness on my XDm Elite OSP Compact. If the HEX requires an adapter plate to mount, it will likely fall into the same group as other combinations I've tried.
I've mounted Trij suppressor sights and I still can't see them.
I believe the relationship of slide machining and iron sight mounts are such that viewing the irons through a dot reticle is not practical, unless a RDS can be directly mounted to the slide without an adapter plate. I have yet to identify that RDS, if it exists. Maybe there are super-tall Tritium suppressor sights that would fit the XD's dovetails, but I doubt it.
With "Bright and Tough" suppressor sights the top of iron sights is approximately the elevation of the top of the base (bottom of the reticle) so, close, but no cigar....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello
I just posted a similar message in the 10mm section. I waived my option for the HEX RDS, I'm now having difficulty finding a combination of dot and irons that will co-witness on my XDm Elite OSP Compact. If the HEX requires an adapter plate to mount, it will likely fall into the same group as other combinations I've tried.
I've mounted Trij suppressor sights and I still can't see them.
I believe the relationship of slide machining and iron sight mounts are such that viewing the irons through a dot reticle is not practical, unless a RDS can be directly mounted to the slide without an adapter plate. I have yet to identify that RDS, if it exists. Maybe there are super-tall Tritium suppressor sights that would fit the XD's dovetails, but I doubt it.
With "Bright and Tough" suppressor sights the top of iron sights is approximately the elevation of the top of the base (bottom of the reticle) so, close, but no cigar....
[/QUO

·
Registered
342 Posts
That makes sense, regarding the raised sights might get in the way. I hopefully get to shoot it this week. I have the XD mod2 service model 9mm. Wow, those mags almost fit into the XDm ... how have you like your XDm Elite?
Oh, I love it. mainly, because it’s my first OSP and it’s kicking my ass while I learn how to use it on a pistol. Which means, I won’t get complacent with the gun any time soon as I enjoy learning how to use that dot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts