Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a NIB Nano on Monday. It was the version that comes with the Lasermax laser installed. It was on sale for $399, plus I went to the Beretta website and submitted my info for a free $50 coupon to use in their online store.

I removed the laser immediately because I don't care for them on carry guns, and listed it on eBay. So depending on what it sells for, I will have a new Nano for around $340 or so, plus a $50 coupon. Not a bad deal

Right away, I ordered a set of Trijicon night sights for it, as well as a FDE frame, 2 spare 6 round mags, and the Beretta branded IWB holster that they have for sale on their online store. I received the holster today and it looks great. It has a perforated leather backing that makes its breathable, and a little less rigid.

I am well aware of the issues people have had with lower powered 115gr ammunition. I have 500+ rounds of Herter's Select brass case 115gr made by Sellior&Bellot, and it has an advertised muzzle velocity of 1280fps. When I take my Nano out for the first time, I am going to see how it runs on this stuff. It should have plenty of power vs much of the cheaper target ammo running 1150fps. I also have several boxes of Federal 115gr +P+ 9BPLE. I am probably going to shoot 20 rounds of this max, just to see how it performs.

Lastly, for carry ammo I ordered up 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr jhp. I am going to shoot this as well to make sure it is reliable. I don't mind if I get the occasional FTE at the range with 115gr ammo, but I won't chance it for self defense when I carry the Nano. I heeded the many warnings out there that say use 124gr for maximum reliability.

Once I take it out this weekend and shoot it, I will post an honest assessment of the gun- likes, dislikes, accuracy, reliability, etc, along with some photos.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Congrats! :p Should serve you well.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your impressions of the gun, a lot of mixed reviews of the Nano mostly related to the trigger and reliability. It's a neat looking gun that seems like it would have a lot going for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to add that to my OP- I ordered black rubberized Talon grips for it as well. I have them on all of my pistols. They are awesome!

As for the trigger, it is heavy. I am hoping that it will lighten up a little with use. Galloway Precision also makes a spring kit that lightens it some.

I briefly looked at a couple of youtube videos explaining how to slightly modify the gun, and one guy claimed a 5lb trigger pull afterwards. I don't know if I would do that myself just from a liability standpoint.

Overall, I really like the design of the Nano. It is very streamlined and compact. It also feels great in my hand.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've not shot one of these. They look like they are really top heavy, does it have a high bore axis?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Trigger pull is too long as is trigger reset. IMO not a very good gun. I did not enjoy shooting one. Hope you get a better result. Wife wanted one until she shot my shield then she bought a shield 40 same as mine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was waiting for me in the mail when I got home from work this morning. Install of the Trijicon night sights and FDE frame was very easy and straightforward. I used a small amount of blue Loctite on the sight screws. I will install the Talon Grip tomorrow and then it's off to the range.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late update. I have been very busy as of late.

I took my new Nano to the range on Tuesday. I shot 100 rounds of Herter's Select brass cased 115gr fmj, 18 rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+ 115gr jhp, and 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr jhp. The gun was 100% reliable though all 148 rounds with the exception of one dud. I had one round of Herter's that must have had a bad primer.

What impressed me the most was that the Nano was really soft shooting for it's size. I shot 148 rounds and my hand didn't hate me afterwards.:D

I am going to shoot a few hundred more rounds through it and see how it does before carrying. It's off to a good start though.

My local range is also a gun store, and I ended up purchasing a like new PX4 INOX 9mm as well as a Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle. I was happy to find both of them in stock somewhere finally. I shot both of them as well while I was there.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Congrats and glad it went well. My old Nano out of the box was a huge failure but a trip to Beretta solved the issue, never had another issue but it wasn't for me. It was a quality gun though, glad yours is top notch!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same here. Their 9mm is great because it's not underpowered like a lot of American made target fmj.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts