Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a long lunch today and experimented with some Remington 115 grain JHP (nothing fancy, just your run-of-mill hollowpoints) and a few pumpkins.

Picture quality is not great (I used my cell phone to take them). Also important to note... the pumpkin was actually a jack-o-lantern (hollow inside).

All shots were taken from aprox. 15 yards away. The pumpkin was aprox. the size of my torso :shock:

This picture compares the entry wounds of FMJ (left) vs. JHP (right).
I thought the entry wounds would be the same. As you can see the JHP did more damage on entry.

This picures compares the exit wounds of FMJ (right) vs. JHP (left). No surprises here.

This picure shows the FRONT of the pumpkin after exactly 10 rapid-fire JHP rounds... pretty impressive damage.

This picture shows the REAR of the pumpkin after those same 10 rounds... <u>DEVASTATING!</u>

The best part was all the pumpkin pieces flying all over the place. I saw pieces flying 30 feet it the air and up to 50 feet away.

One more comment... This was the first time I ever bought hollow points, and I paid $21 for a box of 50. These are not special... just basic hollowpoints from the local sporting goods store. That is about 4x what a box of FMJ costs. But I had soooo much more fun with the hollowpoints. I might consider reloading 9mm just to get affordable hollowpoints for plinking!! :p

·
Registered
475 Posts
That last pic almost looks good enough to be a jack-o-lantern for Halloween.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Oh my gosh! My fiance thought the idea of shootin pumpkins this year would ruin the Halloween fun.... :roll:
We made jack-o-lanterns for the kids, and I just wanted to hollow one out....shoot holes in it, and then sit it on the porch with a candle in it.
I never got the chance.
I wonder what one looks like with guts in it after shootin :twisted:

·
Premium Member
21,700 Posts
hey pdx , i just did the same thing last weekend here we had a couple dozen small pumpkins left over in the garden , my so an i take them an shotthem all up into piece used the 9mm xd the taurus 85 with hollow points and the old faithful ruger blawkhawk 7.5in 45colt we shot up 500 rounds combined thru the 3 and had a ball as yu say chucks was a flyin everywhere
a lot of the ol sayins ,, watch this **** fly was used hahahahhah

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I have two un-carved pumkins, or the wife has them in her flower garden for seasonal appearance. I'm going to harvest those bad boys and take them to the range the next time I get a chance. I already have the hollow points. Sounds like fun! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FatMatt1981 said:
I wonder what one looks like with guts in it after shootin :twisted:
I've got 3 rather large un-carved pumpkins on my front porch. My wife says I have to wait until after Thanksgiving to shoot those ones up.

Maybe I'll post more pics in a few weeks :twisted:

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Me and my shooting buddies did this too. JHP, FMJ, and JSP of varying calibers from .22 to .357mag. Loooots of pumpkin guts flew everywhere. I highly recomend this method of pumpkin disposal.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
good idea, i have some left over pumpkins, and some old carry ammo... and we are shooting this weekend. perfect combination.

i will post the pics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
you really have to go out and shoot them with a long gun... 7mm or 8mm are really fun, 12ga slugs are the best. if you have a large freezer, chill them out for about 2 hrs before hand for the maximum fun...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I hit a pumpkin once with a 30-06 Ballistic Tip from about 50 yards...pumpkin slushie, anyone?

- Brickboy240

1 - 20 of 22 Posts