Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in rickett's "Outed by Cop" thread that I had a second cop encounter. With the horrendous Canton deal still going down, I thought it good to post a positive encounter in Ohio.

I was riding shotgun with my wife on a two-lane State highway, following some nondescript minivan at a reasonable distance. We had just left a small town and came into a long, straight rural stretch of this highway and the horses started to stretch their legs, so to speak, when a State Trooper passed us in the oncoming lane. I glanced at the speedometer - a bit high, but nothing to cause concern. My wife, checking her mirror noted he had flipped a "u-ey" and was coming back. Poop. He caught up, lit us up, and we pulled over. My wife's a bit freaked, this was her first encounter, I was pretty cools as this was my second and I've heard that the State Boys (no disrespect, ease up) were pretty professional and stand-up. I calmed her down, had her get her DL and CHL out, I fetched my CHL.

Remember this was a two-lane; this particular two-lane had a very narrow shoulder, such that we couldn't pull fully off the road AND such that the Trooper approached the passenger (my) side. As he approached I had my CHL out the window held between two fingers for easy plucking. The trooper recognized it immediately and made it clear he knew I was notifying - I only said "Both of us, and we're both carrying" as the other CHL and the DL crossed my chest and was retrieved by the trooper.

The first words out of the troopers mouth were "Thanks for letting me know, where are they". We told him where they were and he pulled mine and asked that we hand him my wife's purse. after he had both in hand, he handed back the purse and thanked us again for informing him and letting him hold our pieces. He asked where we were from and where we were going as he cross-checked my responses against our residence on the cards he had. He asked my wife if she knew how fast she was going and she said she was a bit over - he mentioned a bit higher number - bummer, it was JUST inside the "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine" adage. He also asked why she didn't have her seat belt on when he passed (she did, and our simultaneous reaction to the notion that she didn't had him drop that discussion right away, it was never mentioned for the rest of the stop). He also mentioned an equipment issue that by all rights should be fixed but not 100% a black flag issue - I noted that we knew it existed, but not being a safety issue have been putting it off. He gave us the "OK, OK" to our comments to let us know he was listening, then said he'd go back and run us through.

When he came back, he thanked us again for notifying and told us that he had dropped the mags and cleared the chambers, adding that we could pull over "on up the road" to reload and re-holster. He handed us a warning for the two violations (there was a third he could have nailed us on if he really looked for it), wished us a good day and asked us to keep an eye on the speed a little more closely and fix the equipment issue.

As we were about to pull away, another Trooper exited the car and approached us. Unbeknownst to us, the trooper we were dealing with was apparently a trainee or rookie, as the other "more experienced" Trooper (#2) discussed issues with the other one, counting off issues on his fingers, making hand motions and spending quite a bit of time discussing the stop with Trooper 1. Trooper 2 approached my wife, thanked us again for minfoming about the CCW and righted a small error made by Trooper 1. Trooper 2 wished us a good day, as well, and sent us on our way. They were still going over the stop as they shrunk from view.

This was on a lazy Sunday afternoon on a rural two-lane. I'm convinced it was a training stop and they weren't too concerned about revenue enhancement, as they could have really done us in on speed and equipment issues. Good on 'em for returning our courteous and respectful attitude with that of their own.

I'm not sure what, if any, effect that us having a child's car seat in the back had, but it couldn't have hurt our "we're just normal people" aura. I'm pretty sure being in broad daylight, being confident and articulate in our communication with the Troopers, and NOT being in a known drug & prostitution area while cavorting with hookers and pimps played some itty-bitty role, however.

As far as my wife's reaction - she was pretty rattled as cop encounters for us are pretty darned rare and she's never had a loaded pistol on her in previous encounters (not to mention I had just showed her the Canton video a week or so earlier!), but pulled through just fine. She did mention that she was glad I was there to get her through her first encounter, and she feels that her jitters will be quite controllable if/when she has another.

So there you have it. I've now had to inform a City cop ,State Trooper, and was issued the thing in the first place by my Sheriff - I've got all 3 levels of local "Cop Encounters" under my belt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Took me a while but I finally got through it all. Thanks for info. I think the reasonable person probably understands that the incident in Canton was not the norm. Thanks again though.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I will only say this, he was polite and a decent LEO. My only question is why is it OK to disarm a law abiding citizen, but the LEO remains armed. The CHL, IMO, is all you should have to show, disarming you was above and beyond what should be necessary. If you had been a threat to him it was already to late for him to have done anything about it by the time he got up to your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Thanks for posting and glad you had a positive experience.

"He asked my wife if she knew how fast she was going and she said she was a bit over"

As far as this, never admit guilt. I didn't see in your post about whether they radar or laser-ed your speed, but if they didn't, you just admitted guilt. LEO will note that you admitted guilt on the back of their copy of the ticket. If you try to contest the ticket, in court they'll refer to these notes.

A lot of people think that claiming a lower speed will somehow get you a break, but if LEO "thought" you were speeding but didn't have a concrete speed, you just made their job that much easier. When asked how fast you think you were going, always answer that you don't know.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I will only say this, he was polite and a decent LEO. My only question is why is it OK to disarm a law abiding citizen, but the LEO remains armed. The CHL, IMO, is all you should have to show, disarming you was above and beyond what should be necessary. If you had been a threat to him it was already to late for him to have done anything about it by the time he got up to your vehicle.
This. +1

All the cop should say is keep your hands where I can see them and we're ok. Disarming accomplishes nothing. Why? Well when the cop gives the gun back, he can be shot then. He can also be shot before the individual notifies. So securing the gun in between these times does nothing. If a guy wants to shoot a cop, he will....and likely won't be notifying. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I got stopped a couple of years ago. I gave the trooper my CHL and DL he asked if I was carrying I said yes. He asked where it was I told him where and he said just keep it there gave me my CHL. He then checked my DL and gave me a warning, said slow down and have a nice day. Got stopped last year, gave deputy my CHL and DL he looked at my CHL gave it back, didn't say a word. Wrote me a ticket told me to slow down.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm not sure what, if any, effect that us having a child's car seat in the back had, but it couldn't have hurt our "we're just normal people" aura. I'm pretty sure being in broad daylight, being confident and articulate in our communication with the Troopers, and NOT being in a known drug & prostitution area while cavorting with hookers and pimps played some itty-bitty role, however.

That part reminded me of a time I got pulled over.....It ended up being the fastest traffic stop ever. I happened to have one of my dogs with me in the back seat. He's 90lbs of goofball most of the time, but he's really protective of us in the house & cars especially. So, I just barely cracked the window & I asked him what he wanted me to do, since Morgan was none to pleased to see him. He asked me if I knew I was going to fast through the crack, to which I replied yes sir I was going a bit to fast. The cop said ok, just slow it down & that was it, lol.

For reference, this is the dog....

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I got stopped a couple of years ago. I gave the trooper my CHL and DL he asked if I was carrying I said yes. He asked where it was I told him where and he said just keep it there gave me my CHL. He then checked my DL and gave me a warning, said slow down and have a nice day. Got stopped last year, gave deputy my CHL and DL he looked at my CHL gave it back, didn't say a word. Wrote me a ticket told me to slow down.
That is how it should be handled, period.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Glad to hear (read) stories such asthis with all the bad encounters lately.
This wasn't a bad encounter, but was surely not a good one. The LEO still violated their rights to keep and bear arms for no reason. IMO, just having to get a license and show it just because someone is a LEO is an infringement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a police officer (although in the communist state of IL which prevents our law-abiding citizens from being able to carry), my recommendation is as an officer is approaching your vehicle, don't make alot of excess movements. Keep your hands in plain sight and wait for the officer to approach your vehicle. When the officer makes contact, tell him or her that you have a concealed carry permit and are armed. Then tell the officer where your wallet is and ask if it is ok to get it. When I am off duty and am stopped, I always explain to the officer that I am off-duty and am armed. I then tell him where my pistol is and ask if I can reach for my wallet. Being up-front and not making sudden movements, as well as being polite and respectfull will go a long way.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Respect goes both ways. JMO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Respect goes both ways. JMO
I agree with you 100%. I watched that video and the officer was way out of line. At the same time, you have to understand that officers are human, and there has been an increase in the number of cops shot and killed this year. I am not excusing his over the top reaction. If Illinois ever allows our citizens to carry concealed, I will be fine with it, but the citizen has a duty to inform the officer that he is carry concealed at the beginning of the contact.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The OSHP is an exceptionally professional group of men and women. Never ever had a problem with them where the problem wasn't warranted.

A few points on the OP's story and a few responses.

1) The OP hit the nail on the head that this was a training stop. Just as he said they let them off easy b/c it was a training stop, they also did a few other things that are not routine, such as disarming the two people in the vehicle. This isn't standard OP for the OSHP. As we all know that it's more dangerous to handle the loaded firearm, unload it, drop the mag, etc., than to leave it in place. 100:1 they did this b/c it was a good training opportunity for the rookie with real people in a real traffic stop but without the stress of someone being argumentative or combative.

If I, as a cooperative and law abiding citizen, can help to make a newb on the road a better officer, so that he can go home to his family some day when the S really HTF, so be it.

As well, as I understand the law and the constitution, no rights were deprived. The officer only temporarily disarmed them while the officer ensured that the traffic stop went smoothly and safely.

2) I agree with one of IL's finest, too much hand movement. I instruct my clients and trainees in my chl classes to not even get out their licenses until your hands and every action can be seen by the LEO. If you are in the driver's seat, put your hands on the wheel at 10 & 2. If you are in the passenger seat put them squarely on your knees or on your dashboard in plain view. Only go to your wallet once you have a) notified b) told the LEO where your firearm is and c) asked for permission to reach for your wallet.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The OSHP is an exceptionally professional group of men and women. Never ever had a problem with them where the problem wasn't warranted.

A few points on the OP's story and a few responses.

1) The OP hit the nail on the head that this was a training stop. Just as he said they let them off easy b/c it was a training stop, they also did a few other things that are not routine, such as disarming the two people in the vehicle. This isn't standard OP for the OSHP. As we all know that it's more dangerous to handle the loaded firearm, unload it, drop the mag, etc., than to leave it in place. 100:1 they did this b/c it was a good training opportunity for the rookie with real people in a real traffic stop but without the stress of someone being argumentative or combative.

If I, as a cooperative and law abiding citizen, can help to make a newb on the road a better officer, so that he can go home to his family some day when the S really HTF, so be it.

As well, as I understand the law and the constitution, no rights were deprived. The officer only temporarily disarmed them while the officer ensured that the traffic stop went smoothly and safely.

2) I agree with one of IL's finest, too much hand movement. I instruct my clients and trainees in my chl classes to not even get out their licenses until your hands and every action can be seen by the LEO. If you are in the driver's seat, put your hands on the wheel at 10 & 2. If you are in the passenger seat put them squarely on your knees or on your dashboard in plain view. Only go to your wallet once you have a) notified b) told the LEO where your firearm is and c) asked for permission to reach for your wallet.
I'm not part of an officers training program, and he only temporarily infringed on their rights? Sorry, but my rights are mine all the time.

What happens if the stop doesn't go smoothly and the newbie officer screws up. In this day and age, crap happens to often and after the fact could be to late. Who pays for all the legal fees, the BS of court, an innocent persons name being drug through the news. It's just to easy for a traffic stop to turn into a major cluster f#$k and the citizen usually looses big time.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Lots of good points brought up here. 1st off, glad it was a positive experience. Been pulled over while carrying a few times, and stopped once on the street. It's always a bit nerve-racking.

However, big +1 that the officer shouldn't have disarmed you, for the same reasons already stated (infringement of rights, safety, etc.)

Also +1 for minimal hand movements, asking permission to reach for your wallet or registration, eye contact, and ALWAYS courtesy. In my opinion and personal experience these things go a long way to ensure a safe and smooth encounter. After all, you're just two armed strangers meeting, and anything could happen...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm not part of an officers training program, and he only temporarily infringed on their rights? Sorry, but my rights are mine all the time.

What happens if the stop doesn't go smoothly and the newbie officer screws up. In this day and age, crap happens to often and after the fact could be to late. Who pays for all the legal fees, the BS of court, an innocent persons name being drug through the news. It's just to easy for a traffic stop to turn into a major cluster f#$k and the citizen usually looses big time.
Show me where that was an infringement of rights and I'll buy it. That's horsecrap, that was not an infringement of rights.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
It's always good to hear the stories of when our LEO's are behaving professionally. I agree, respect goes a long way both directions.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I watched that video and the officer was way out of line. At the same time, you have to understand that officers are human, and there has been an increase in the number of cops shot and killed this year. I am not excusing his over the top reaction. If Illinois ever allows our citizens to carry concealed, I will be fine with it, but the citizen has a duty to inform the officer that he is carry concealed at the beginning of the contact.
Having to inform a cop that your carrying is the same as posting a sign saying you dont allow CHL holders. Do you think a criminal with the intent to do you harm is going to tell you he is packing? Why is it a duty? tehy have no duty to inform us of any of their intention. If a cop knocks on your door, why is it not a DUTY to inform them that we are armed in our home?

I was pulled over by OSHP onetime and I informed as our state law requires. He took possesion of my handgun during the stop as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts