Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying a .308 rifle and am down to the PTR 91 and a DPMS. I know some of the pros/cons of these rifles, but would love to know which has the better durability? I worry the DPMS will suffer from the same problems as the AR...have to keep it super clean, may jam or not function in the cold or mud. As for the PTR I have no clue if it has durability problems...will it function if it gets dirty, cold, mud, do I have to worry about the ammo I put through it, is it hard to clean, gets dropped, etc.

I own two AR's so I'm really looking for something with more power that will function no matter what. (I've checked out the M1A and FAL and for various reasons am down to these two). Would really appreciate any help you all could give me. Thanks!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
have you looked at a FN FAL they pretty much have almost the same level of rugged reliability as the AK.

have you looked at the .308 AK saiga.

i would like a RRA .308 so i can use the same cheap mags (about $10) i bought for my fal.

the saiga mags are not cheap, they are 40 something bucks, but thats cheaper i belive than the DPMS mags, and the saiga ak .308 is about $550 so that a pretty substantial savings over a DPMS .308

link to thumbhole stock saiga .308 ak Saiga .308 Rifle with Wooden Thumbhole Stock

not sure if you can use other aftermarket stock or not.

if you dont like that stock and turns out you CAN use other aftermarket stocks maybe opt for the cheaper

$499 for the sporter hunting style stock
Saiga AK 47 .308 Rifle

i just bought a FN FAL front atlantic arms turned out nice. I have not shot the PTR 91, but i was ready to check one out across town a few weeks ago, didnt make it in time to get it. Anyways they are on my radar. I personally don't like the fact there is no automatic last shot bolt hold open on the CEMTE/hk91/JLD/ ptr91 i was rather interested in them till i found that out.

That may not matter much to you, but thats an enginering/design feature i really value, hell my .22 marlin has it, i definately want it in a battle rifle.

for that reason i would bump up the ar10 be it a DMPS, aramlite, or other (if RRA ever gets off there azz and actually starts shipping the lar 8)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a .308 rifle and am down to the PTR 91 and a DPMS. I know some of the pros/cons of these rifles, but don't know much about the durability of both. I worry the DPMS will suffer from the same problems as the AR...have to keep it super clean, may jam or not function in the cold or mud. As for the PTR I have no clue if it has durability problems...will it function if it gets dirty, cold, mud, do I have to worry about the ammo I put through it, is it hard to clean, gets dropped

I own two AR's so I'm really looking for something with more power that will function no matter what. (I've checked out the M1A and FAL and for various reasons am down to these two). Would really appreciate any help you all could give me. Thanks!
I really like my DPMS .308. I don't have a PTR91, but they do look good! Look at what it takes to scope a PTR91 and how stable it is. I don't know. The DPMS 308 was easy to scope. The M1A scope mount shot loose after 50 rounds.
Chapie+

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Mags for the PTR are dirt cheap. Around $3 each for barely used mags if you look around.

Mounting a scope on a PTR is expensive and the rifle is really not made for a scope.

I have an early H&K 91. It's a really nice rifle.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
check out these billet cmmg 308 lowers.
they let you choose which type of mag you want
Redirect

its either G3 or dpms

takes G3 mags, well thats awesome you can get g3 mags for $4 compared to other ar10 mas costing $50.

also of note armalite will sell you an ar10 striped lower for $227, thats pretty cheap.

it lets you get it at low entry price, build up late, but of course you will have to then use expensive mags, and if you want 7-10 mags future price of ar10 mags might be 60-70 ..... where as you can go buy 10 G3 mags tommarow for $50.

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
It's not that hard to mount a scope on a PTR/HK91...you just need to get your hands a a claw mount. Very stable, the only drawback is it sits high off the bore.

Between the two...it would depend entirely on what you want to do with it. If you want to build up a precision, long-range rifle, I'd go with a .308 AR platform. Not that you can't do it with a PTR, but it's easier to do with an AR.

If you're looking for a battle-rifle type configuration, I'd go with the PTR.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The difficulty of mounting a scope is not much different. The big difference in mounting a scope between those rifles in the cost. While the AR-10 flat-tops have a built in rail, the PTR does not. With the PTR you have to either: 1) put a claw lock scope mount on the rifle which has integrated rings and will run around $150 or so; or 2) buy a picatinny rail mount like an MFI or B&T rail for around $125 or so, plus rings.

You didn't mention which models of either rifle you were looking at. Dependability and "ruggedness" on just about any model between those rifles will be the same. The PTR will be more rugged and reliable than any of the AR-10 platform rifles. It is just tough to beat a fluted chamber, delayed roller-lock action and the overall function of the G3/HK91/PTR type rifles for pure combat reliability when compared to the AR. It will run filthy dirty, cold, hot, wet, etc.

In terms of accuracy...that will vary greatly depending on model. The PTR pictured in Chapie+'s post above is actually an MSG-91 perimeter rifle. It has a long, match barrel, welded-on scope rail tabs, a Magpul fully adjustable stock and is capable of MOA or better accuracy with good ammo and a good shooter. It is also considerably more expensive than a rack grade PTR-91F by around $600 or more, but the standard PTR will only achieve battle rifle accuracy (2-3MOA).

A DPMS A2 or A4 standard rifle depending on how it is configured is capable of 2MOA accuracy or better while the target rifle models...also more expensive) are capable of MOA.

If you are simply looking for a rugged, reliable rifle to punch paper with, hunt with, etc., the PTR would be my pick. If you are looking to put together more of a target rifle...the decision gets a little more complicated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts