Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to pickup a used 91 this week NED INFO ON A SCOPE & MOUNT FOR THIS 308//// 500/ 700 dollar range

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
Does it already have a rail on top? If not, you'll want to get a mount for it; I recommend a HK-style claw mount.

Second--you're going to want a fairly compact scope. Long scopes, or ones with huger objective lenses, can get in the way of the cocking handle.

And finally--you'll want high rings in order to clear the rear sight.

I've got an ACOG on my MSG91; but that's a bit more than you want to spend. You may want to look at Trijicon Accupoints.

Or, see if you can find one of the surplus Hensoldt scopes from the G3SG's that were available a few years ago; they come with the claw mount, and are usually under $500.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rail was wondering about HK claw mount. How about 6x18x40 Leupold target? Thanks for info.

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
No rail was wondering about HK claw mount. How about 6x18x40 Leupold target? Thanks for info.
That's not what I'd consider a compact scope.

In order to get it to work, you're going to need to mount it HIGH off the receiver. The claw mount will help with that, but getting a cheek weld will be a pain.

Then again, you can put a Magpul PRS stock on it if this is an issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a 4X Steiner on my HK91 with an ARMS claw mount. (This picture shows it on a Leapers AR mount, but you get the picture.) Should be in your price range. It's like the Hensoldt, but maybe a bit more rare.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said have Leupold 6x18x40 scope in my gun safe, I'm old school VN, Army LRRP, But guess I'm going to have to try the compact scopes including prices. I need a scope that will range out to at least 700 yds, Probably going to load 168 gr., Varget . Want a scope to match the rifle. Wish the Mark AR scopes would work for the 308

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
I know my Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 LRT didn't work well; the objective would get in the way of the cocking handle...unless I mounted it ridiculously high. I'd wager it's the same size, give or take, as your scope.

A buddy has a Mk4 MRT 2-8x36 that works well, though...it's considerably shorter, though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked at the Trijicon scopes on line what scope would you recommend I'd install Magpul stock, have located claw mount. Where's the best place to shop for Trijicon

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
That's not what I'd consider a compact scope.

In order to get it to work, you're going to need to mount it HIGH off the receiver. The claw mount will help with that, but getting a cheek weld will be a pain.
It's going to depend on the length of the scope. My HK91 currently has a Bushnell Elite 3200 (40mm obj) on it until I get a Hensoldt. I've got a claw mount an low rings and the charging handle stops in front of the scope. A longer scope or one with a sunshade won't work. Even with high rings and a cheekpiece neither my NF or Elite 4200 would work. Both were too long.

Here it is before I lowered the scope and removed the cheekpiece. You can see the cutout for the charging handle in front of the objective lens. Occasionally I rub the scope when working the handle but it hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shot the rifle last night needs a good cleaning . Shot him a price. I see what you mean now by a short scope. Probably own this rifle later this week. What I need to work on now is a scope. Looked at the Hensoldt scopes & claw mounts on line ( not sold on one yet ) The info I saw was kind of unclear on the reticles and hold over for ranges past 300 yds. Acog TA 33-9 or TA 11, and see what Leupold, Vortex, Burris, have for short scopes that can handle the 308

1 - 12 of 12 Posts