Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone! Long time reader first time poster. Here goes. I have a couple of XD's one being a .45 compact that I've been happily carryin concealed for some time. I just installed the Powder River easy install competion trigger kit. BOY what a difference and I'm afraid almost too much of a difference. The trigger pull after the install, which was a snap, is really light...Maybe 3-3.5 lbs? My concern is that it is TOO light and TOO short for worry free concealed carry. I have changed just the trigger spring back to the one I took out and all seems pretty comfy now(4.5-5# ?) but just wondered if anyone else finds the comp. trigger install to be too short and light for cc.
Thanks and look forward to being a "regular"
Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
All my carry guns have PRP trigger jobs. Keep your finger off the trigger unless you are going to shoot....I want the best trigger possible if I need it...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Awe man, you just opened pandora's box. I might as well join it what is sure to be a chocolatey-nougat-cluster-___k

I carry a PRP Ultimate Trigger Kit equipped XD 40 Tactical ALL THE TIME. I trust myself under pressure to be able to perpetuate my trigger safety integreity so it isn't an issue. Everyone is different and depending on the individual's personal abilities under pressure, appropriate trigger weights will vary.

·
Premium Member
24,708 Posts
my advise , practice practice practice that way it wont be a surprise if u would ever have to use it, welcome aboard also

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maintain good trigger discipline. I also carry with the ultimate trigger kit, it's not an issue so long as you make make indexing second nature. It's a good habit to have regardless.;) Congrats on your first post, welcome to the club, you'll find pretty much everyone on here very helpful and positive. Just remember to keep that booger hook off the bang switch! :razz:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
"worry" is a personal matter. If you're going to worry about it, then don't do it.

I also agree with what the other guys said. Practice. Keep your boogerbang off the hookswitch.

Do whatever you need to do to your gun if you believe it will keep you alive longer and still operate safely.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I got so used to the factory trigger on my .45c that the new trigger seemed to be a "hair trigger" whatever that means. I do index without thought so guess with practice I'll get used to the new light, short prp trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Well, it is called a competition trigger kit. The carry kit has stronger springs. Lighter than the stock but heavier than the competition. Pretty close to what you have now. I installed two of the older style PRP kits. Put the complete comp kit in my range pistol and a partial kit in the defense pistol. Same idea - with some springs left stock or Canyon Creek. So with the mix of springs and careful testing I have full reliability with all tested ammo (striker strength) and a very short trigger pull just a bit heavier touch than the range pistol. Never having shot a lot with a really light trigger, I figured with the adrenaline dump of a SD encounter, I would feel better having just a bit of resistance before the bang. Having the variety of springs from the lightest to stock weights, I can adjust the trigger to my comfort level as I progress.
With the design of the XD/XDm trying to get too light on the trigger can cause some loss of reliability with a hard primer brand or random difficult primer. OK with a range or competition gun, not what I want for a SD pistol. (Same as with a truely match barrel where the chamber dimensions may be too tight for accepting slightly out of spec ammo) Where I am set I have not found any commercial ammo that does not function.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hello to everyone! Long time reader first time poster. Here goes. I have a couple of XD's one being a .45 compact that I've been happily carryin concealed for some time. I just installed the Powder River easy install competion trigger kit. BOY what a difference and I'm afraid almost too much of a difference. The trigger pull after the install, which was a snap, is really light...Maybe 3-3.5 lbs? My concern is that it is TOO light and TOO short for worry free concealed carry. I have changed just the trigger spring back to the one I took out and all seems pretty comfy now(4.5-5# ?) but just wondered if anyone else finds the comp. trigger install to be too short and light for cc.
Thanks and look forward to being a "regular"
Jerry
Thats why I dont alter the triggers of any of my carry guns. I was told by a lawyer it can create liabilty issues and not help ur defense if u needed to us it for self defense or had some type of nd-ad.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ezra,
In my case it's not a lack of training or practice. My post was generated simply because the very light trigger pull after modification was drastically different from what I'd grown accustom to and would possibly be lighter than I was comfortable with in condition 1 carry. The trigger breaks at just under 5#s now and I'm good with that. If your preference is an extremely light trigger for carry that's great, but I've come to the conclusion I'll keep the 3-3.5# pull triggers for range duty and paper punching only!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts